some_dude

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Thanks. It appears that what defines a "Polo Coat" is camelhair, regardless of the color. My coat, alas, is wool and cashmere. From what I can see, it is simply a business overcoat. Which is fine with me-- that's generally how I use it, anyway.

some_dude

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
In fact sounds like you have an overcoat.
Some criteria,---------Do you play Polo?
No.

Do you own a string f Poloponys? Do you know who Jackie Gleason was?
No. Yes. We're goin' to the moon, baby! Also the inspiration for the air conditioning in the Mercedes Benz 600 series.

Did Jackie own a polo coat?

Are you familiar with camel hair? Did you know a camel is a horse designed by a committee ?
Somewhat. Yes.

Are you well enough heeled to afford vicuna? ----Know who William Holden was ?
No. Yes, absolutely! One of my favorites.

Were you born before 1950? ----Do you consider anyone born before that year a non dude?
Definitely not! Anyone born before 1950 is a geezer, everyone knows that!

Can you name two locales in the U.S where the sport is played? Polo, pay attention.
West Linn, Oregon and Palm Desert, CA.

Do you speak Argentinian?------ I Confess, I do not.
No, but my brother owns a house in Argentina. And I think there is a polo ground somewhere nearby, but not sure.

Can you name at least one prominent figure who wore a Polo coat on a field of sport?
Prince Charles?

Are you of good nature , enough to at least have a chuckle?
Have a great day.
Definitely! You as well.

How'd I do?

EclecticSr.

No.

No. Yes. We're goin' to the moon, baby! Also the inspiration for the air conditioning in the Mercedes Benz 600 series.

Somewhat. Yes.

No, but my brother owns a house in Argentina. And I think there is a polo ground somewhere nearby, but not sure.

Prince Charles?

Definitely! You as well.

How'd I do?
No.

Somewhat. Yes.

Prince Charles?

Definitely! You as well.

How'd I do?
You did well. :)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ I agree with this advice. There are some things that are fine to "try out" in a less-expensive version and some clothes, to this day, that owing to my lifestyle (what a pompous word, sorry) that it makes no sense for me to buy the expensive versions of, but if you really want a classic Polo coat, save up, study up on what you want, take your time finding the right one, pay the price and expect to have and enjoy it for decades.

A little inspiration ( a cross post from the Ralph thread):
8d61b811aad847103cc6786105fcc979.jpg

Last edited:

EclecticSr.

I doubt a man of means if he only owned a few polo ponies would display such affectation as a white stitched unbuttoned button hole as the wearer does. I could be wrong.

jackcatscal

Starting Member
No.

Somewhat. Yes.

Prince Charles?

Definitely! You as well.

How'd I do?
Polo is also big in San Diego. Specifically, Rancho Santa Fe, where the terribly wealthy live.

jackcatscal

Starting Member
Years ago
Thanks. It appears that what defines a "Polo Coat" is camelhair, regardless of the color. My coat, alas, is wool and cashmere. From what I can see, it is simply a business overcoat. Which is fine with me-- that's generally how I use it, anyway.
Years ago, when I lived in DC, I bought a polo coat at the Georgetown University Shop (RIP). It’s a blend of camel hair and wool, which Gentleman’s Gazette recognizes as legitimate. (It makes the coat less delicate and more resistant to wear.) Although I’ve kept it for all these years, since I’ve lived in Los Angeles and San Diego since the mid-eighties, I’ve had little opportunity to wear it. I do take it out of its protective cocoon every couple of years to reminisce, however.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.