Fading Fast

Connoisseur
This came in my email today from Paul Stuart. While Paul Stuart is not calling it a Polo coat, it certainly has most of the Polo coat features: double-breasted, patch pockets, wide lapels, a half-belt, set-in sleeves and turn-back cuffs. To be sure, it isn't camel hair, but still, looks and feels very Polo coat-ish to me. Being Paul Stuart, it comes in yellow, red and green and none of those colors are muted, they are true YELLOW, RED and GREEN.

82470001-N710-10.jpg
82470001-N710-40.jpg
82470001-N710-20.jpg

82470001-N802-10.jpg
82470001-N300-10.jpg

https://www.paulstuart.com/phineas-...tml?dwvar_82470001-N300_color=N710&quantity=1

StephenRG

Honors Member
This came in my email today from Paul Stuart. While Paul Stuart is not calling it a Polo coat, it certainly has most of the Polo coat features: double-breasted, patch pockets, wide lapels, a half-belt, set-in sleeves and turn-back cuffs. To be sure, it isn't camel hair, but still, looks and feels very Polo coat-ish to me. Being Paul Stuart, it comes in yellow, red and green and none of those colors are muted, they are true YELLOW, RED and GREEN.

https://www.paulstuart.com/phineas-...tml?dwvar_82470001-N300_color=N710&quantity=1
I thought this thread was called "how to wear a polo coat", rather than "how not to wear a polo coat" ;)

The yellow one put me in mind of Dick Tracy's coat in the execrable 1990 film.

delicious_scent

I have enough trouble being taken seriously when not dressed as a comic-strip character, but if you've got the presence, then, definitely, go for it.

Kidding aside, it's a bit much for me, but I can see some people pulling it off without a problem.
Yep, I wouldn't buy it for the reasons you've mentioned.

If it somehow flew into my backyard, I wouldn't sell it. I'd treat it as a "special" coat and tone down everything else I wore.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I thought this thread was called "how to wear a polo coat", rather than "how not to wear a polo coat" ;)

The yellow one put me in mind of Dick Tracy's coat in the execrable 1990 film.
Not just saying it, I had the same thought which is why I made my "comic-strip character" comment later.

Paul Stuart does its own thing and that thing gets more "fashion-y" in the Phineas Cole line.

I look at it this way: PS still has some very nice - high-end - updated versions of classic along with its more "out there" stuff. But I'm just glad it's there doing its thing as it's a fun part of the menswear universe even if I rarely want or buy items from it.

When other stores went casual / mass market - Abercrombie and Brooks, for example - PS went higher end and bold. Might not often be my thing, but really glad somebody's putting out expensive and creative versions of classic menswear.

Take a look in this beautiful and not at all "out there" Phineas Cole suit @upr_crust is wearing today ( #2,879) . So, yes, PS, as you accurately imply, puts out some on-the-edge styles, but they also put out gorgeous versions of the classics like Upr's suit.

N.B. I'd bet @upr_crust could wear this coat with style in any of those colors.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Not just saying it, I had the same thought which is why I made my "comic-strip character" comment later.

Paul Stuart does its own thing and that thing gets more "fashion-y" in the Phineas Cole line.

I look at it this way: PS still has some very nice - high-end - updated versions of classic along with its more "out there" stuff. But I'm just glad it's there doing its thing as it's a fun part of the menswear universe even if I rarely want or buy items from it.

When other stores went casual / mass market - Abercrombie and Brooks, for example - PS went higher end and bold. Might not often be my thing, but really glad somebody's putting out expensive and creative versions of classic menswear.

Take a look in this beautiful and not at all "out there" Phineas Cole suit @upr_crust is wearing today ( #2,879) . So, yes, PS, as you accurately imply, puts out some on-the-edge styles, but they also put out gorgeous versions of the classics like Upr's suit.

N.B. I'd bet @upr_crust could wear this coat with style in any of those colors.
You know, FF, there are days that I think that you're tailing me ;) .

As it happens, I also received e-mail notices about the newest items in for this season, including the Phineas Cole rendition of a polo coat in Casentino cloth, a classic Florentine fabric specifically used for hunting gear. The two most traditional colors for Casentino cloth are the orange-red and the green - the orange for men (as hunting jackets today are made in orange, for safety), the green for women, though I am sure that those distinctions are now quite dead, and the cloth is made in other colors as well.

I stopped by the store last week, intrigued by the coats, and did try on one of the green ones. I will say that the coats are well-cut, albeit running on the small side (I had to size up one size from my normal suit size in order to fit comfortably into the coat), but the styling is great. Whether I will be so daring as to purchase one of these coats remains to be seen - they come in the orange, the green and a shade of mustard yellow (French's, with a dash of Grey Poupon).

StephenRG

Honors Member
You know, FF, there are days that I think that you're tailing me ;) .

As it happens, I also received e-mail notices about the newest items in for this season, including the Phineas Cole rendition of a polo coat in Casentino cloth, a classic Florentine fabric specifically used for hunting gear. The two most traditional colors for Casentino cloth are the orange-red and the green - the orange for men (as hunting jackets today are made in orange, for safety), the green for women, though I am sure that those distinctions are now quite dead, and the cloth is made in other colors as well.

I stopped by the store last week, intrigued by the coats, and did try on one of the green ones. I will say that the coats are well-cut, albeit running on the small side (I had to size up one size from my normal suit size in order to fit comfortably into the coat), but the styling is great. Whether I will be so daring as to purchase one of these coats remains to be seen - they come in the orange, the green and a shade of mustard yellow (French's, with a dash of Grey Poupon).
Did the Casentino have the traditional wolf-fur collar?

TKI67

View attachment 49534 View attachment 49535 View attachment 49536

View attachment 49543 View attachment 49544

Yipes. (The unofficial Trad take.)

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

View attachment 49534 View attachment 49535 View attachment 49536

View attachment 49543 View attachment 49544

Paul Stewart could not discount that coat sufficiently to convince me to buy one in any one of those three colors. While the coats design is decidedly masculine, to my eye those colors appear decidedly feminine. Guess I'm just not that socially/sartorially courageous! LOL. :crazy:;)

TKI67

Paul Stewart could not discount that coat sufficiently to convince me to buy one in any one of those three colors. While the coats design is decidedly masculine, to my eye those colors appear decidedly feminine. Guess I'm just not that socially/sartorially courageous! LOL. :crazy:;)
And the price tag would get you a real camel polo at O'Connell's with enough change for a Southwick suit or tweed jacket and maybe a couple of shirts!

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur

True polo coat in terms of shape, details, proportions... quite perfect in fact. But those colours are insane. The rough fabric is not totally out of line for what is one of the most casual of overcoat designs and the cloth of the Ralphie coats is kinda roughish as your last photo shows.

drpeter

Agreed. The colours are very unusual, and I am wondering if there is a reason for this other than fashion, as @upr_crust suggests: Traditional colours for hunters and for women. That still leaves the mustard yellow without a rationale. Perhaps it is a traditional colour in Florence for engineers, LOL.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.