rsmeyer

Now we are talking role models. "Saint Walter" basically developed American football. In fact, he was so Trad in his thinking that he resisted the forward pass. If the coat is good enough for Walter Camp, it is good enough for every man.
Lombardi's coat looks more like a British Warm sans epaulets.

Trilby

Brooks Brothers still sell these - https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa...ection_Id=222&Product_Id=922276&Parent_Id=202. Their coats have a half belt across the back, rather than a belt that goes completely around the coat, but I think that is more correct for a polo coat these days.

A few other US companies also sell them - e.g., Paul Stuart (a beautiful but expensive store in NY) and Ben Silver (primarily a catalogue compay, but also a store in Charleston).

I have never seen these in the UK. I have one, and when I wear it in London, I get comments from my colleagues that I look like a gangster.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
DougNZ said:
Yes, a number of those look like British Warms.
The differences are significant, however: although not all polo coats have cuffs, they do generally have larger lapels, whereas the British warmer, in its purest form, has lapels/collar cut similar to a D-B suit and generally unable to be buttoned across (or at least no more than a D-B suit could be).

DocD

Bob Loblaw

A Brooks Brothers camel polo coat I purchased last fall:

I really wanted one and all that remained was a 42 long. I purchased it despite the fact I usually wear a 42 regular. One of these days I might get the sleeves tuned up if that is possible.

steveincharlotte

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I'm looking for polo coats or topcoats online, and wondering how they're sized. They seem to have the same dimensions as suit coats. I wear a 42 suit coat -- that's usually 19" shoulder to shoulder. But 42 polo coats also seem to be 19" shoulder to shoulder, so apparently there's no allowance for what's under it. That would tell me I probably need a 44 polo coat. Does that seem right?

nicksull

I tend to agree - i think you can go a little bigger with a polocoat as they are supposed to be a little dressing-gown like. They certainly dont need to be trim or tight. That said one of the reasons you go bigger is that the cloth in an authentic one is way thicker (often a double face) than normal modern topcoats. So you need a little more room.

Bob Loblaw

I'm looking for polo coats or topcoats online, and wondering how they're sized. They seem to have the same dimensions as suit coats. I wear a 42 suit coat -- that's usually 19" shoulder to shoulder. But 42 polo coats also seem to be 19" shoulder to shoulder, so apparently there's no allowance for what's under it. That would tell me I probably need a 44 polo coat. Does that seem right?
My above listed coat was purchased in my jacket size and I am swimming in fabric if I am not wearing a jacket.

I imagine it depends on the manufacturer but I would recommend buying your suit jacket size if you go with Brooks Brothers.

Mark from Plano

Topcoat sizing baffles me. I've been wearing a 42L lately (lost a little bit of weight recently) and tried on topcoats in one store yesterday and their 40 was what fit me best over the 42L sports coat I was wearing. Go figure.

jamgood

Advanced Member
Is this style still available anywhere? I am considering to commission this with my HK tailor...

Cheers,
A.
Not actually a "polo" coat. More of a great coat or steamer. Sans cuffs & patch pockets, a recent eBay pre-owned acquisition in alpaca pile, not "fur" (seller's photo). I'd previously acquired new ones in whipcord with alpaca pile lining and in small tattersall Scottish undyed homespun tweed with alpaca pile lining. Similar to the Polo below. I think the style is "Gothard" or some such.

From Invertere of Newton Abbot. Invertere may also make a similar coat with cuffs and framed-patch with flap pockets in various fabrics.

I thought Invertere was out of business, but that was corrected by its managing director on an AAAC post within the past year or so.

O'Connell's of Buffalo, NY had some Invertere stock last year.

AndySearch: invertere.

From Polo 30 years ago. "Officer's pink" wool gab with alpaca pile lining. At that time, it could have actually been made by Invertere.

Early '80s Polo polo

Early '80s Polo polo in Donegal herringbone tweed

Alan C has an Ulster collared vintage polo coat similar to this recent one by Arnys, Paris.

From Gentry Magazine, Winter 1951. Unidentified "Savile Row" polo. (Not the same as the California Gentry Mag.)

Same issue: "A full belted, double breasted polo coat tailored of camel's hair fabric, worn by Stephen Sanford"

AlanC

Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
Polo coat defined

This is what Bruce Boyer has to say in his chapter on the polo coat in Elegance, as he calls it "The Real Thing":

And the requirements of the genre are explicit and strict: an authentic polo coat is double-breasted, full-length, and full-cut camelhair cloth; it has patch pockets, set-in sleeves, cuffs, and a half-belt.

dks202

Polo Coat

Dang, it sure is a nice looking coat. I can't justify buying one for the climate in South Texas. I wore my topcoat exactly three times last winter. It just doesn't get cold enough here.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals