Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
BB coat, an older probably vintage version (since later models buttoned to 4 buttons only). This is definitely BB since there's a tag photo which goes with these photos.

BB coat, the new/current one (shorter, different pockets, etc.). I think these photos were originally on Styleforum.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Bob Geldoff in 1997 with his daughter. I can't find a larger version of this photo, unfortunately.

Here's some other photos of Geldof. It looks like a Ralph Lauren coat. Note the small button under the right lapel so the left lapel can be buttoned over in bad weather to close the coat.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
this thread is tempting me.

a long overcoat for casual usage has heavily appealed to me lately.
I think it's fair to say if you're going to own one long overcoat, then you might as well spend the extra dough and get a camel hair polo coat will all the features. They ain't cheap, but they're versatile and look great in both dress and casual getups.

Billax

I am a Trad forum guy who can't resist the opportunity to show off both of my all-Camelhair Polo coats. Thanks for the opportunity, Doctor Damage!

Top: JAB
Bottom: J. Press

Harvard v Yale Football game fans in 1929... almost all the men in Polo Coats!

Polo game in the early 1920s where polo coats prevailed among players.

Last edited:

Green3

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
The new Brooks one looks fine, but I really like the full, traditional cut. In my opinion it’s a luxurious, indulgent piece and doesn’t suit being trimmed up. As Mike Ehrmantraur says, “no half measures”.

I feel the same about overcoats in general. I watched Home Alone 2 with my younger daughter last Christmas. I think it was filmed around 1990 or so. That must have been a high water mark for billowy overcoats. I loved the look, and almost every man in the film was wearing one. Standard issue, no deviation. No car coats, no ski wear, no hybrid stuff. I grew up with those being the standard and my tastes haven’t changed.

I managed to pick up a polo coat and a single breasted camel (overkill) for about $125 each from JAB on deep clearance.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals