How Traditional is BB's Traditional Fit?

Pentheos

Elite Member
It sometimes seems that every thread or query is about the fit of shirts: how slim can you go? does this shirt make me look fat? is there too much extra fabric?

I purchase BB's traditional fit OCBD because I like the word traditional. I was, after all, a classicist. Many here dislike this cut because of the "extra" fabric. I will admit, they are cut in a very full, as BB calls it, "relaxed" fashion.

My question: how traditional is the traditional fit? I.e., would a BB OCBD from the 1960s or 1970s have the same dimensions? Or, has traditional fit expanded over the years as has the nation's waistline?

Fit, of course, is a very subjective thing. Has this shirt changed over the years?

meanoldmanning

My question: how traditional is the traditional fit? I.e., would a BB OCBD from the 1960s or 1970s have the same dimensions? Or, has traditional fit expanded over the years as has the nation's waistline?

Fit, of course, is a very subjective thing. Has this shirt changed over the years?

Not sure about 40 or 50 years ago, but the couple I still have from 20 years ago are same as the one I bought last year.

I have however since switched to Madison fit because I prefer it over the traditional fit.

Last edited:

Orgetorix

Honors Member
I think I remember a piece from a few years ago that compared modern BB TF OCBDs to ones from the 50s and 60s and found that the modern ones were bigger in the chest and waist.

straw sandals

Heavy Tweed Jacket did a great series on Brooks OCBDs a while back, comparing examples from his extensive personal collection. I can't find it right now, though I hear that the blog is backed up somewhere.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange