Oldsport

I am finally able to take my Wife on her first Cruise Vacation, and, only able to do so now that I've been away from my Navy career and job long enough....

Anyhow, for evening dinner wear, Madras jackets and White Bucs are ok given the warm weather expected, even though December, right? I don't want to look like an eccentric old fool.

mjo_1

What cruise line is it? That will make a big difference. My wife and I just returned from our first cruise, which was on a lower tier line. All in all we had a fun time since we were with good friends for a quick, spur of the moment trip. However, many of the passengers made a pretty poor effort at evening dress, even on the so called 'elegant' night.

stfu

This will absolutely be driven by the cruise line you are travelling. It is very likely whatever you think you should wear is afar above what others will wear. Also, pay mind to limited luggage.

Oldsport

The cruise line is Royal Caribbean on the Enchantment of the Sea. Is wearing a Blue Blazer or Madras Jacket and a pair of Khakis at dinner really going to be that overdressed? Again, I'll add an 'ugh'.

This will absolutely be driven by the cruise line you are travelling. It is very likely whatever you think you should wear is afar above what others will wear. Also, pay mind to limited luggage.

Dieu et les Dames

My party wore tuxedos and dinner jackets for the formal nights on Carnival. Your madras and bucks will fit in just fine. It is likely the people at the table next to yours will be wearing flip flops and wet shorts.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
I've been on two cruises this year. The first was on Crystal and there were formal nights. Many wore tuxedos. the second was on Oceania (this is the line we use the most) and there were some neckties with sport jackets, or just sport jackets, no neckties, but more short sleeved shirts at dinner than anything else.

Both ships are small - Oceania is 648 and Crystal is just over 1000. I think you'll find that the other passengers dress as inappropriately as they do on land.

Dress for yourself, your image, and your confidence!

stfu

The cruise line is Royal Caribbean on the Enchantment of the Sea. Is wearing a Blue Blazer or Madras Jacket and a pair of Khakis at dinner really going to be that overdressed? Again, I'll add an 'ugh'.
You will not be overdressed on RCI wearing a blazer in a main dining room.

Andy said:
I've been on two cruises this year. The first was on Crystal and there were formal nights. Many wore tuxedos. the second was on Oceania (this is the line we use the most) and there were some neckties with sport jackets, or just sport jackets, no neckties, but more short sleeved shirts at dinner than anything else.
Indeed, Crystal is a line I would certainly recommend wearing a dinner jacket on "formal" nights. Carnival is not.

Oldsport

Ok, thanks all. Although, it sounds like maybe I should just leave the Madras Jacket home and take along a suit, just in case. I'd rather be over than under-dressed.

rmpmcdermott

When it comes to rules I think it really has to do with the climate. If it's hot as hell in October in New Orleans then by all means wear seersucker. So, in your case, I don't think dressing for the warmer weather with a madras jacket or a tropical weight blazer is out of line at all.

Oldsport

Actually, I got to thinking a little. It is right before Christmas. Could I have a little fun and wear my Black Watch trousers and somehow turn it into a 'fun dinner rig'. Similar to what Galahad wore to Valentine's house for the McDonalds dinner? Maybe a Velvet jacket (Navy), with Black Bow Tie? It is the Holiday Season, I will be on vacation, and It would be 'cough-cough' formal yet whimsical...

Last edited:

dkoernert

I'm a loyal RCI cruiser and have been on Enchantment a few times. What you have described is what I usually wear to dinner, but I always take a suit for formal night. There will be people in tuxedos in the MDR on formal night, but they are usually ill-fitting rentals from the ship.

stfu

Actually, I got to thinking a little. It is right before Christmas. Could I have a little fun and wear my Black Watch trousers and somehow turn it into a 'fun dinner rig'. Similar to what Galahad wore to Valentine's house for the McDonalds dinner? Maybe a Velvet jacket (Navy), with Black Bow Tie? It is the Holiday Season, I will be on vacation, and It would be 'cough-cough' formal yet whimsical...
That would be wholly appropriate IMO.

DoghouseReilly

I think you'll find that the other passengers dress as inappropriately as they do on land.
This.

In addition to the cruise line you take, the port you leave out of makes a big difference too. Cruises leaving Miami draw a different crowd than cruises leaving from, say, Galviston. The "elegant" dinner on my recent trip was well attended many folks in shorts and t-shirts. The arcane dress requirements stated that your shirt have a collar and your pants be long.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.