I don't like the sound of..

Dhaller

Elite Member
Many years ago, I was tasked ("why me?") with drafting a dress code for my company.

Now, this was a pretty unbuttoned kind of place ("creatives"), but we at least wanted to prevent people from showing up in rags, or pajamas, or wearing tees with obscene graphics or profanity.

"The usual" was right out, as I knew it would foment insurrection. Really, I just wanted people to approach dress with a little bit of care and some common sense. Also, I knew many of these people were gripped by the myth that dressing unconventionally was somehow a statement of individuality (regardless of how similar those folks all look to one another.)

After some thought, I came up with the term "creatively distinctive." It said nothing in particular, and yet sparked a certain self-awareness, or at least a quick check in the mirror before leaving the house. "Am I creatively distinctive... or just a slob?" That was the idea.

It was also rebellion proof: "I refuse to be creatively distinctive!" said no creative, ever.

One of my prouder moments of at once dodging a thankless task and completing it.

DH

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange