I sure miss the trad discussions.

Innovan

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I myself am going a bit lean this month in purchases as I make sure I've paid off every last one my Christmas bills in full. I hardly doubt I'm the only.

Give people a bit more time to recover from the holiday season and I'm sure the discussion will come back.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
I'll do my part to keep things going, in my own clumsy way:

Here I am looking blurry and disgruntled, as befits a man who just spent a lovely spring-like afternoon in a grammar school gym covering the Cub Scouts and their balsa wood race car derby.

DSCF0109.jpg

The hastily-thrown together ensemble: a medium grey sport coat from STP; pink Brooks buttondown; one of the new Land's End 3" ties; those shapeless twill pants from the Brooks outlet (tan); on the feet, my workaday J&M brown captoes with the mostly rubber sole that have the great virtue of being better on ice and snow than my A-Es with the leather sole. (I'll be damned if I reinjure myself looking stylish for a bunch of den mothers.)

Trad is good protective cover around here. Nine of 10 New England men surveyed said that buttondown collars keep their teeth whiter.

Selah,

Patrick

crs

I'm wearing BB blue-white tattersal buttondown, BB tan chinos, J.Press tan/navy surcingle belt, Land's End dirty bucks, Timex watch. Long live Trad!

Coolidge24

quote:Originally posted by Patrick06790

Here I am looking blurry and disgruntled, as befits a man who just spent a lovely spring-like afternoon in a grammar school gym covering the Cub Scouts and their balsa wood race car derby.

DSCF0109.jpg

The hastily-thrown together ensemble: a medium grey sport coat from STP; pink Brooks buttondown; one of the new Land's End 3" ties; those shapeless twill pants from the Brooks outlet (tan); on the feet, my workaday J&M brown captoes with the mostly rubber sole that have the great virtue of being better on ice and snow than my A-Es with the leather sole. (I'll be damned if I reinjure myself looking stylish for a bunch of den mothers.)

Trad is good protective cover around here. Nine of 10 New England men surveyed said that buttondown collars keep their teeth whiter.

Selah,

Patrick

Thats a great ensemble Patrick. I have a similar tie....is it a 2.75" Brooks? Keep shooting for the major paper, you look like the typecast for the 'ace reporter'

EDIT: I need to read more carefully, that is clearly a Land's End tie. It looks good though, nice and slim. I was at Brooks the other day, I think the ties have gotten even wider since summer.

StevenRocks

quote:Originally posted by jmorgan32

Oh well. The board has changed, as I guess all things do.
The Trad is always with us, but it started becoming more than it was intended to be. The discussions became divisive and started hurting people. Intolerance is not very Trad.

"Never underestimate the depth of a curious mind"
Steve aka StevenRocks

MP

I picked up a couple of ties (emblematic and a repp) as well as a tattersall shirt and pair of argyle socks at Ben Silver's clearance sale last weekend in Charleston spending a grand total of $125.

Any idea when the Andover sale starts?

Patrick-The Land's End tie looks great!

Mark

jmorgan32

Suspended
quote:Originally posted by Patrick06790

DSCF0109.jpg

Selah,

Patrick

Great tie Patrick! I'm clicking over to Land's End. Thanks.

coatandthai

quote:Originally posted by jmorgan32

Oh well. The board has changed, as I guess all things do.

You're kidding, right? I am starting to feel like the forum should be renamed "Ask Andy About Trad." For us non-preppies, it is a getting a bit tired. Maybe there should be two sub-forums, one called "Trad" and the other "Dressing Well."
21t.jpg

jlmwrite

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:You're kidding, right? I am starting to feel like the forum should be renamed "Ask Andy About Trad." For us non-preppies, it is a getting a bit tired. Maybe there should be two sub-forums, one called "Trad" and the other "Dressing Well."

Dressing well isn't limited to Trad (and preppy is NOT interchangeable with Trad). Trad is conservative, Trad is easy to put together, and therefore Trad is what many men want to emulate. While I'll agree with you there is a great deal of discussion re: TradWear, there are still varied opinions and styles presented here.

BTW -- we preppies are quite inured to those who laugh when we wear deck shoes innocent of socks, or the madras shorts with BB boxers peeking out underneath, or...

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
quote:
BTW -- we preppies are quite inured to those who laugh when we wear deck shoes innocent of socks, or the madras shorts with BB boxers peeking out underneath, or...

And if the name was changed to Brooks Brothersini the anti-trads would be all over it...

Like a sack suit [:p]

Old Brompton

We definitely need more trad commentary.

This discussion board is very inspiring--for which I thank you, gentlemen--and has prompted me recently to shore up my wardrobe, the basic style of which has more or less remained the same since I was a young man, with several acquisitions. For instance, although for a number of years I've claimed to detest the Tasseled Loafer (despite being given as an undergrad a beautiful pair from BB as one of my first 'adult' shoes), I finally broke down this past week and bought two pair Alden BB cordovans. I can only attribute it to the fine influence of fellow trads on this board. [^]

I for one appreciate the back-and-forth on such key topics as, say, the aesthetic qualities of traditional versus patch madras trousers. Admittedly, a comparative analysis of summer-weight, go-to-hell pants may not be everyone's cup of (Earl Grey) tea, but it's encouraging to see that it is for some, at least.

More, please. :)

mpcsb

Inactive User
quote:Originally posted by Old Brompton
go-to-hell pants may not be everyone's cup of (Earl Grey) tea, but it's encouraging to see that it is for some, at least.

More, please. :)

Actually I prefer Lapsang Souchong tea, Earl Grey reminds me of Jean-Luc Picard - LOL. Congrats on the cordovans, nothing better.
Cheers

AlanC

Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
quote:Originally posted by MP

I picked up a couple of ties (emblematic and a repp) as well as a tattersall shirt and pair of argyle socks at Ben Silver's clearance sale last weekend in Charleston spending a grand total of $125.

Please give us a report on what the sale was like--offerings, prices, etc. I think we'd all love to hear it.

MrRogers

All trad all the time never allows fashion to evolve....

I go elsewhere for more fashion-forward discussion when I feel like it, but I think everyone should at least pay some attention to today's trends....

just my .02$ though

MrR

"Give me the luxuries in life and I'll gladly go without the necessities"

Coolidge24

quote:Originally posted by MrRogers

All trad all the time never allows fashion to evolve....

I go elsewhere for more fashion-forward discussion when I feel like it, but I think everyone should at least pay some attention to today's trends....

just my .02$ though

MrR

"Give me the luxuries in life and I'll gladly go without the necessities"

Trad is above trends
To be trad is to be above trends

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.