FJW

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
^^
.......and who herein, besides me, favors anchovies on their pizza? :crazy:
I was young and very naive when I went to college. My roommates and I went out for pizza one night and one of them order anchovies. Well, I thought it was an Italian vegetable...really, I did.

When I tasted it, I looked at him and said "it tastes like fish." And he said in words I can't repeat here but something like, "you knucklehead, it is fish!"

And to answer your question, no, not a fan of anchovies.

Last edited:

ran23

I was managing a Round Table Pizza for a while. Some Japanese students came in and asked for a fish pizza. Anchovies and shrimp was the best I could do. some day I have to try it for myself.

IT_cyclist

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
^^
.......and who herein, besides me, favors anchovies on their pizza? :crazy:
Once upon a time, I worked in a pizza joint. Nobody even liked putting anchovies on pizzas. Or touching them in any way.

In Japan, SWMBO liked scallops on pizza. The locals often got things like squid, corn and mayonnaise.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
If I eat pizza out at a *good* pizza place (meaning staffed with Italians who've bothered to ship a pizza oven over from Naples), I favor the classic Margarita, or some variation on that. Crust on the thinner side.

(In Atlanta, that means Varuni in Morningside or Antico Napoletana off 14th, near Georgia Tech).)

Mostly I make pizza at home, though. My daughter has ballet on Fridays, and I pick her up at 5:30 and we'll stop by the store to get "the stuff" (Whole Foods, usually) and bake a pizza when we get home.

It's Friday evening, so we just get the pre-made pizza dough, use marinara sauce (not "pizza sauce" which is too sweet, usually), fresh whole-leaves of basil from the garden, Genoa salami, fresh mozzarella (we usually get ours from Star Provisions, a local deli), sliced olives, mushrooms, and sometimes artichokes. Bake at 500ish for 8-10 minutes; it's a thin crust, and we bake it on a kind of perforated non-stick pizza pan which I *love* (much better than a pizza stone).

In the past, I have built a pizza oven (out of terra-cotta blocks), but as you can imagine, that's enormous overkill for home pizza making; it has been disassembled, as it did not spark joy. I'll leave Serious Pizza to the experts with vowel-ended names.

DH

ps. At some point I plan to try a Dutch Oven pizza while camping. The fam has a big (10 day) expedition coming up in April; I may try it then!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
The pizza place of my dreams here in Portland-ish is the Communion Bakehouse. They bake a lot of wonderful different things (including a world class chocolate chunk cookie!) but their pizza? Because this is Portland, the ingredients are all local and fresh. But the crust? Sourdough! I can't remember when I've had one as good, if I ever did. Maybe I'll go there tomorrow and have their Baba Ganash, with eggplant. The stuff of dreams.

And Rolf thinks we needed this thread, too.

tumblr_db6f7c63b3197b07dd18c3edb6f48738_85700f96_540.jpg

Howard

Connoisseur
I was managing a Round Table Pizza for a while. Some Japanese students came in and asked for a fish pizza. Anchovies and shrimp was the best I could do. some day I have to try it for myself.

shrimp on a pizza, I haven't tried that on one, but it sure sounds delicious.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.