Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
So, in The Good Italian 3 Il Principe takes his friend the opera singer (a tenor, naturally) to Naples. There they encounter a street food vendor selling what he calls Pizzette. It's also known as Pizza Fritta or Calzone Fritto. Being a super fan of the series, I've watched this a ridiculous number of times and have been fascinated with the dish. I couldn't find any recipes in English so I decided to try it 'in the rough'. I had a small ball of sourdough pizza dough left over, some red sauce (also left over), Scamorzza cheese, Parmesan and fresh basil leaves from the plants growing in my window. I figured, "How hard can this be? Just make half a pizza, fold the dough over into a calzone, seal the edges and gently lower it into my deep fryer set for 350ºF"? The answer is, "Not the least bit hard. And pretty damned good, too." I apologize for not taking a picture, so the next time I do this I'll post some. But if you're a fan of calzone, just imagine it turned into a giant savory donut.

Once I figured out what it really was, finding instructions on YouTube under 'calzone fritto" turned up a bunch of variants, with and without tomato sauce. Would make pretty good party food, I betcha.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
So, in The Good Italian 3 Il Principe takes his friend the opera singer (a tenor, naturally) to Naples. There they encounter a street food vendor selling what he calls Pizzette. It's also known as Pizza Fritta or Calzone Fritto. Being a super fan of the series, I've watched this a ridiculous number of times and have been fascinated with the dish. I couldn't find any recipes in English so I decided to try it 'in the rough'. I had a small ball of sourdough pizza dough left over, some red sauce (also left over), Scamorzza cheese, Parmesan and fresh basil leaves from the plants growing in my window. I figured, "How hard can this be? Just make half a pizza, fold the dough over into a calzone, seal the edges and gently lower it into my deep fryer set for 350ºF"? The answer is, "Not the least bit hard. And pretty damned good, too." I apologize for not taking a picture, so the next time I do this I'll post some. But if you're a fan of calzone, just imagine it turned into a giant savory donut.

Once I figured out what it really was, finding instructions on YouTube under 'calzone fritto" turned up a bunch of variants, with and without tomato sauce. Would make pretty good party food, I betcha.
Fun post - thank you. When I first got to NYC in the '80s, an obscure pizzeria near work (on a side street with hardly a sign out front, several generations of Italians working in it and yelling at each other all day in Italian) sold those and they were insane.

Sadly, a few years later, the place closed as a developer bought their building and several surrounding ones and put up something (forget what). Since then, I've never found a place that made fried calzones.

Fortunately, back then, my twenty-year-old body could eat a fried calzone for lunch and then be hungry a few hours later. Today, I'd possibly die on the spot if I ate a whole one as I did in those days.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Currently it's under its dust cover out in the triple digit heat. I am going to try a pesto pizza for meatless Monday but I'm going to put it on the pizza stone in the oven @500º to compare the results. If I don't get a clear decision I guess I'll have to make two, one outside and one in, and see what happens. My preliminary supposition is that if I'm making one pizza just for me, the indoor oven is easier but that the outdoor one will be better for entertaining. We shall see.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
How goes the pizza oven as I believe you are up to effort number three?
Currently it's under its dust cover out in the triple digit heat. I am going to try a pesto pizza for meatless Monday but I'm going to put it on the pizza stone in the oven @500º to compare the results. If I don't get a clear decision I guess I'll have to make two, one outside and one in, and see what happens. My preliminary supposition is that if I'm making one pizza just for me, the indoor oven is easier but that the outdoor one will be better for entertaining. We shall see.
Passions/hobbies, such as cooking, are best when we regularly practice them and get to enjoy the results of said efforts. If SWMBO were not saddled with cheese allergies I suspect we would be enjoying homemade pizzas on a regular basis at the Eagles Roost.;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.