Three Button

Hello. I seem to wear out my dress pants and shirts rather quickly. Can anyone recommend a good source for dress pants and shirts that are decent but inexpensive? Say pants under $50 and shirts under $30? Or does such an outlet just not exist?

Thanks.

dwebber18

If you wear them out so quickly I'd say you either need to up your build quality or decrease your price to disposable. What is happening to your clothes? Falling apart or do they just get dirty and stained? The BB and JCrew outlet might fit your value end if you catch a good sale but the quality will not be there. BB outlet wool pants are not bad if found on a good sale but that would probably be under $100 not $50 unless you're lucky. Most of the JCrew outlet stuff for men I've seen while my wife shops seems to be ok but not real good, thin fabrics and stuff. If you want to up your quality then the usual brands will work, O'Connells or BB especially during a sale. Don't know if you've tried those before but they should last longer. Being that you're in NY I'm sure there are loads of options in either direction but as I've only been a tourist there I don't know much outside the bigger shops.

sskim3

If you wear them out so quickly I'd say you either need to up your build quality or decrease your price to disposable. What is happening to your clothes? Falling apart or do they just get dirty and stained? The BB and JCrew outlet might fit your value end if you catch a good sale but the quality will not be there. BB outlet wool pants are not bad if found on a good sale but that would probably be under $100 not $50 unless you're lucky. Most of the JCrew outlet stuff for men I've seen while my wife shops seems to be ok but not real good, thin fabrics and stuff. If you want to up your quality then the usual brands will work, O'Connells or BB especially during a sale. Don't know if you've tried those before but they should last longer. Being that you're in NY I'm sure there are loads of options in either direction but as I've only been a tourist there I don't know much outside the bigger shops.
Lands end has affordable good quality stuff. Check them out. Uniqlo has cheap shirts that are $30 or less.

A few folks like stafford from jc penny and you can get some pretty good stuff for a fraction of what you pay at brooks.

dkoernert

What about eBay? I know they are not really considered a trad brand but most my my dress pants are flat front Zanellas that I have picked up on eBay for well under $50. I like the fit and IME they wear like iron. Just last fall I got 2 pairs of deadstock NWT BB flat front flannels in gray and brown and paid much less than $50 total for both.

Watchman

Elite Member
Hello. I seem to wear out my dress pants and shirts rather quickly. Can anyone recommend a good source for dress pants and shirts that are decent but inexpensive? Say pants under $50 and shirts under $30? Or does such an outlet just not exist?

Thanks.
At first glance, what you ask is seemingly impossible!

But I recently scored some 100% wool gabardines from JAB (Jos A Bank) for $29.95 per pair and they were actually better quality than what I had anticipated.

Also, I picked up some CT (Charles Tyrwhitt) shirts for the same price.

Now here's the deal, I stay in the loop to see when the big sales are happening, and therefore I typically will stock up when I get the chance!

Duvel

Connoisseur
Three Button, you don't say what you're buying, but maybe you're buying trousers that are too cheap, and thus cheaply made and not long lasting. At least to some extent, you do get what you pay for. I might consider looking for higher quality trousers that you might have to pay more for, but buy fewer. Instead of three cheap trousers, just one more expensive pair, and just buy what you can afford that way, even if it's just a new pair every few months or whatever--the aim here being, of course, to have things that will last much longer, and so in the long run, will be cheaper than having to replace cheap trousers all the time, etc.

That said, I like the other recommendations here. My regular retail J. Crew trousers (Bowery in the classic fit) have held up very well. And I've heard good things about Lands End's trousers.

Thanks.

triklops55

Thrifting is also my recommendation. The pants made for Nordstrom by different makters are durable, good quality and of decent style. If you're opposed to thrifting, Lands End and Joseph A Bank are the way to go.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
With the exception of once-in-a-blue-moon sales--and I can't recall any off the top of my head--I don't think that you can buy decent-quality shirts for under $30 and trousers for less than $50 if you are going to buy them new. At that price point, pretty much everything on the market is crap. Some crap is less crappy than other crap, but crap is crap. Sierra Trading Post is going to be your best bet for less crappy crap.

If the OP really wants to stick to his budget, he needs to go the secondhand route. You can buy a lot of trouser for $50 and a lot of shirt for $30 if you go second hand. In fact, you can cut those prices in half and still get a lot of shirt and a lot of trouser. Before he does that, though, he needs to educate himself on how to buy used clothing. It is not as simple as logging onto eBay and hitting the BIN button. If he's serious, he needs to get in touch with Dr. L, who should be able to put together a dandy package deal.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange