127.72 MHz

Elite Member
I have my opinions about this thought provoking article. If possible please refrain from commenting until you have read the article.
This quote from the article got my attention:

"Significant monitoring and speech control are inevitable components of a mature and flourishing internet, and governments must play a large role in these practices to ensure that the internet is compatible with a society’s norms and values."

This article was published on April 25th in The Atlantic Magazine. The authors are:
Jack Goldsmith
Harvard Law School Professor

Andrew Keane Woods
Professor of law at the University of Arizona College of Law

Two more out of context quotes from the article.
"In the great debate of the past two decades about freedom versus control of the network, China was largely right and the United States was largely wrong."

"As surprising as it may sound, digital surveillance and speech control in the United States already show many similarities to what one finds in authoritarian states such as China."

Last edited:
“Significant monitoring and speech control are inevitable components of a mature and flourishing internet, and governments must play a large role in these practices to ensure that the internet is compatible with a society’s norms and values.”

I stopped reading right here....asking government to ensure societies norms and values seriously rubs against something in my core. I viscerally reject this premise given the recent rapid change in where these values lie.

In the ‘90s, I leaned against gay marriage, mirroring the majority opinion in America at the time. 25 years later, I hold a completely ambivalent view and believe in the government staying out of the love business entirely. The majority of Americans seem to agree. Government is hardly nimble enough to manage this type of rapid change in “norms and values”.

What if the internet were around during Jim Crow? Good Lord.

Cheers,

BSR

127.72 MHz

Elite Member
I find it remarkable that educated academics feel this way. I wish that I felt as though more people thought critically about this.

I've read The Atlantic on and off for awhile now. I've always thought of them as a credible mostly mainstream news and opinion source.

All Sides dot com rates The Atlantic
"The Atlantic media bias rating is Lean Left"

Media Bias fact check rates The Atlantic as left center.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.