Introduction (and confession) of a College Preppy

The Virginian

After months of lurking in the shadows, soaking up everything I could without ever contributing myself, I’ve finally felt it was time to step into the foray and face whatever resulting wrath head-on.

First, an introduction. I was born and raised in northern Virginia, right outside of D.C. From what I’ve gathered from my time living there, it is an area doomed forever to suffer an identity crisis. We are cursed, never to be fully regarded as true southerners (after all, you’d be hard pressed to find sweet tea anywhere north of Fredericksburg). And yet, any man be damned if they dare call us a yankee or associate us with the north. It was the Army of NORTHERN Virginia after all… at any rate… I would categorize my upbringing as that of a distinctly D.C./Southern hybrid, though I believe that is a monster for another day and will not attempt to tackle that here.

I am a 21 year old, political science student at an extremely small, hyphenated liberal arts college in southern Virginia whose major rival is another hyphenated liberal arts college. (As a side note, I always wished to attend UVA, though thanks in large part to the ever growing, horrendously large number of high school students in northern Virginia who also shared my dream, I was unable to enroll my freshman year. And yes, there is a quota placed on the amount of NOVA students allowed to enroll in Mr. Jefferson’s institution each year, only furthering the plight of us northern Virginias in our quest for identity.)

And now for my confession: I am a preppy and have always considered myself one. It’s hereditary, inheriting it from my parents and destined never to escape its peculiar world… though I know I will never wish to do so. I love kakis, polo shirts, oxford button downs, weejuns and topsiders. More importantly, I love patch madras -in fact madras in general-, seersucker, go to hell pants, grosgrain watch bands and belts, embroidered pants and shorts of any kind, Nantucket reds, bow ties and the colors pink and green.

A further confession: as I am now about to graduate, thoughts of trad disturbingly allures and entices me. It’s like a siren. It seems calmer, unobtrusive and inconspicuous… bluntly, more employment friendly.

Slowly, ever so, I fear the day I will no longer wear my Lilly Pulitzer GTH pants and pink OCBDs, opting instead for the much safer stone colored Bill’s kakis and bland colored polo shirt.

Anyways, I ramble. With that, hello to all and look very forward to contributing from my college/preppy point of view.

The Virginian

And what the hell, why not post a picture to shock you fogey trads with my go to hell preppy nature?

Not yet ready to show my face and my long, seemingly unkempt hair.

Sweetness

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Which high school did you go to? I'm from Northern Virginia also, so I was curious.
-Louis
BTW: I know what you mean about UVA, damn those Thomas Jefferson kids! :D

StevenRocks

You, sir, are a trad, otherwise I'd have to talk to you about those pants. LOL

"Never underestimate the depth of a curious mind"
Steve aka StevenRocks

rojo

Your hair can't be that long, or it would be showing in the picture.

Edit: You remind me a little of our friend Trip Bradford, without quite the edge that he had.

Intrepid

Welcome to you! Our objective will be to relentlessly focus on helping you realize that what you really aspire to is the Trad lifestyle, and not the costume of a preppy.

Nothing to be concerned about. The trip is painless, and very few side effects to worry about.

Some of the finest trads that I know are from northern Virginia (eg Middleburg). You have come to the right place for a theraputic transformation! Again, you are most welcome, and we can certainly learn from your posts.

Carpe Diem

Tom Buchanan

Welcome from another DC area person (although from the other side of the Potomac).

You are a bold man to pair the Lilly's with the pink sweater. While there is a time and place for Lilly's, I personally would exercise a bit more discretion (maybe with a blue blazer and white oxford). There is a difference between GTH wear and all-out pastel fusion. To each their own, however.

BTW, my guess is that if you identify your school, you will find other loyal alumni here.

A.Squire

Honors Member
Rather new myself, but I say welcome and thank you for the pic.
"First the cap, then the boots"
Would you happen to own a cricket sweater?

vwguy

Honors Member
Welcome! Even at 35 I still consider myself more preppy than trad, I don't wear GTH pants as much as I use to, but I still wear plenty of bright, preppy colored polos!

Brian

LPinFla

Welcome! Do not worry about your identity. I am a firm believer that one can easily straddle the line between preppy and trad, if that's one's inclination. Although I stick with my original assessment that it's all a matter of semantics. Don't be so quick to toss the Lillys, but you are correct that in the real world trad is a bit more practical.

longwing

quote:Originally posted by LPinFla

Welcome! Do not worry about your identity. I am a firm believer that one can easily straddle the line between preppy and trad, if that's one's inclination. Although I stick with my original assessment that it's all a matter of semantics. Don't be so quick to toss the Lillys, but you are correct that in the real world trad is a bit more practical.

Although the real preppy world is more practical at the beach. Nice picture.

The Virginian

Thank you all for the comments and warm welcome though I feel I must comment more on the pants. While I am a firm believer in GTH pants, I do understand that there is a proper venue for everything and fully understand there is a scale of GTHness that must be respected depending upon the environment. Lilly Pulitzer pants on men should and must stay at the beach. However with that said, while I would never wear the aforementioned pants around campus, I would not be averse to wearing blue embroidered seersucker pants or patch madras to class, as I have started to do so in the past week.

Interestingly enough, this past year I’ve started to limit myself to wearing only one loud item at a time. For example, today I’m wearing lime green/Kelly green linen pants but with a white OCBD (as well as topsiders and a grosgrain belt and watch of course). There was a time when I would have easily of paired the pants with a pink polo or OCBD yet now find myself more hesitant to do so… In fact, upon further contemplation, I myself even question if I’d ever pair my Lilly pants with the pink sweater again.

Vettriano Man

quote:Originally posted by The Virginian

And what the hell, why not post a picture to shock you fogey trads with my go to hell preppy nature?
[:0] ...oh my God - look at this Hugh[:0], Trimmer[:0] and Doug[:0]

Not having any of this preppy lark round here, what chaps? Whatever next?

(Welcome to the board Virginian. No offense - you'll get to know my humour in time) :)

Coolidge24

quote:Originally posted by The Virginian

Thank you all for the comments and warm welcome though I feel I must comment more on the pants. While I am a firm believer in GTH pants, I do understand that there is a proper venue for everything and fully understand there is a scale of GTHness that must be respected depending upon the environment. Lilly Pulitzer pants on men should and must stay at the beach. However with that said, while I would never wear the aforementioned pants around campus, I would not be averse to wearing blue embroidered seersucker pants or patch madras to class, as I have started to do so in the past week.

Interestingly enough, this past year I’ve started to limit myself to wearing only one loud item at a time. For example, today I’m wearing lime green/Kelly green linen pants but with a white OCBD (as well as topsiders and a grosgrain belt and watch of course). There was a time when I would have easily of paired the pants with a pink polo or OCBD yet now find myself more hesitant to do so… In fact, upon further contemplation, I myself even question if I’d ever pair my Lilly pants with the pink sweater again.

Glad to have you aboard. I think we own many of the same clothes. For one we have the same pants today. While a staunch supporter of the trad, I also own plenty of preppy, of the OPH-pre 1990s sort.

Upon reflection, I think my modus operandi is/will be trad in the office, prep on the weekend (or on the law school campus when not doing something that requires being dressed up). Perhaps, ultimately, I shall grow away from the kelly greens and the whale print shorts and turn completely trad, but I doubt it.

Markus

Hmmmmmmmmm, Virginian.

Perhaps it is just a coincidence, but you sure have a familiar style and syntax... You somehow remind me of at least one other soul who has posted (and continues to post) on this board and, I think, attended a "small hyphenated liberal arts college" in Southern Virginia.

But let's accept your premise at face value and agree (at least for now) that you are who and what you say you are. Welcome.

Markus

jmorgan32

Suspended
quote:Originally posted by Markus

Hmmmmmmmmm, Virginian.

Perhaps it is just a coincidence, but you sure have a familiar style and syntax... You somehow remind me of at least one other soul who has posted (and continues to post) on this board and, I think, attended a "small hyphenated liberal arts college" in Southern Virginia.

But let's accept your premise at face value and agree (at least for now) that you are who and what you say you are. Welcome.

Markus

Markus,
The board seems to be a little strange in that respect. We had the "Godfather of Trad" without naming names, leave, for a week or so, then "come back." Very odd. I have always maintained who I am, what I do and hide nothing. These things amaze me. Maybe I am naive or must missing something.
We also have to take a stand against those who seem to be "know it all types." We are here to "exhange ideas", enjoy company etc. Sometimes these posts become somewhat offensive. eg "Chill out Morgan." When asked where someone lives, they only refer to an obscure geographic area of their state. OK. Their right, but very odd to me. What in the hell do we need to hide on Ask Andy for God's sake. Other examples" "What do you do for a living?" response "I write and teach." What the hell is that? I either am a salesman, a consultant, a broker, a banker etc. What is with the secretive thing? Maybe I should incorporate that. I must be missing something. I JUST DON'T THINK someone from the forum is going to break down my door and steal my Aldens. Just me.
All the best,
Joe

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange