Is Dandy the same as Trad?

v.astoria

Starting Member
I heard Brooks is Trad, but is this jacket Dandy?

276M_enlarged.jpg

Confusion I am feeling now but never at Paul Stuart.

Cantabrigian

Elite Member
quote:Originally posted by v.astoria

Confusion I am feeling now but never at Paul Stuart.

Confusion I am also feeling after reading a couple of posts writted like this...

Is it a joke and I am too dim to catch it or is it something else...

I think that Trad's use of color and some types of patterns is rather dandy-ish.

There has been some discussion about this but I believe "dandy" refers more to an attitude towards clothes than to a particular school of dress.

guitone

Elite Member
To me a Dandy is someone that always looks good, not in a macho way, but in a stylish, but not necessarily today kind of way...someone like Niles Crane, not his brother Fasier.

An elegance to the look without trying too hard....am I making any sense?

guit

Joe Frances

Trad by definition is fairly conservative dressing, and does not include mixing strong patterns, colors or styles in an obvious way. Dandyism can include all of these things and has an element of pushing the envelope, i.e., being provacative-- at least a little. A Trad can credibly disavow an interest in clothing. A dandy could not, and more to the point, would not.

Joe

Horace

quote:Originally posted by Joe Frances

Trad by definition is fairly conservative dressing, and does not include mixing strong patterns, colors or styles in an obvious way. Dandyism can include all of these things and has an element of pushing the envelope, i.e., being provacative-- at least a little. A Trad can credibly disavow an interest in clothing. A dandy could not, and more to the point, would not.

Joe

Though the evocation of the "Choatie" by Harris on the American Trad thread may counter your assertion, if only lightly.

crazyquik

She might say "I wouldn't be seen on the same side of the street as you."

It is certainly more dandy than trad, and only really acceptable as resort or vacation wear for a trad. But a dandy could pull it off much easier, in many places.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.