Is Dandy the same as Trad?

Reptilicus

Dandy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search
For the British children's comic book, see The Dandy.

"A dandy is a man who places particular importance upon physical appearance, refined language, and the cultivation of leisurely hobbies. Some dandies, especially in Britain in the late 18th and 19th century, often strove to affect aristocratic values even though many came from common backgrounds."

I believe that the 21st century equivalent of Dandy is Metrosexual. It's not so much about the dress than it is the mannerisms. I'm sure that there are a number of forum readers who will take great offense to this. No offense intended.

Literide

Thats a great jacket, if your on that team at Henley. Cant imagine finding much use for it in NY, its even over the top for most summer country club venues.

indylion

quote:Originally posted by waltj

So are pimps dandy's gone wrong?

Many pimps may consider themselves to be dandies. If this "A dandy is a man who places particular importance upon physical appearance, refined language, and the cultivation of leisurely hobbies." is true.
Pimps are dandies.

n/a

Seems to me there are all sorts and varieties and versions and species and categories of "dandy." Trad can be one of them. There's history to illuminate the point: Dean Acheson, O' Hara, and a few of my college professors to name just a few. Cheers, Harris

Joe Frances

I agree with Harris completely. There are varieties and matters of degree in the area of classification of dandies and traditionalists. Although many trads wouldn't be caught dead in some dandy variations (e.g.,lavender pinstripes), it is not out of the question that on certain days one can affect various elements of dress that could be classified as one of the other or a bit of both. Let me add one other element, however, to the question of variation in one's wardorbe, and that is age. Older guys, are less likely than their younger couterparts to vary their styles, especially as far as business attire is concerned. After 40, I think my style was fairly set, a mix of trad and dandy, but generally fixed within a range of nearly 50-50. Before then I was all over the lot on what I would wear, and as we have seen in other posts, old photographs can make one feel rather uncomfortable, when we remember what we once wore.

Joe

P.S. Apologies for misspelling "provocative" yesterday. One becomes too dependent upon computer spelling correction these days, and I tend to go on this site late in the evening at which time I am too lazy to run for the dictionary. Sorry.

WA

Honors Member
There are three types of dandies, I suppose.

1) Somebody who dresses, at least, a little better than everybody else, or, even much better.

2) Somebody who dresses boldly, such as the picture.

3) Whatever cloth is used it does not matter, but the cut, pressing, sewing skills and fit is increditable, though you can't put a finger on why, but when you walk by you don't look back, but wish you had one or more like it. Magical.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.