It's that time of year again... shawl collar sweaters and cardigans.

Jovan

Honors Member
I still have my Rugby shawl cardigan and can't wait to use it more as the weather cools down. Sadly the Rugby line is gone as of two years ago, but there are still some good offerings here and there.

J. Crew has pretty decent looking shawl collar sweaters and cardigans from what I saw today at the store. (Surprisingly, also found a navy blazer that looks good even though I had to size up to 42 for it to fit correctly.)

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/NewArrivals/sweaters.jsp

Any other "finds" for those who want a classic looking shawl?

Z.J.P

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
explorer-navy.jpg
Got this bad boy at J Crew this summer for $43. Now it just needs to get cold...

Duvel

Connoisseur
J. Crew sweaters... Such a sad story to me. I knew them well about 5 years ago, when J. Crew was really knocking it out of the park with some stuff. They made a great looking and feeling lambswool/rabbit fur shawl collar cardigan in navy around 2009, but the thing basically fell apart on me, it was so poorly made. And since then, they have catered way too much to the hip urban demographic to produce much of anything worth wearing (in my opinion).

Z.J.P

J. Crew sweaters... Such a sad story to me. I knew them well about 5 years ago, when J. Crew was really knocking it out of the park with some stuff. They made a great looking and feeling lambswool/rabbit fur shawl collar cardigan in navy around 2009, but the thing basically fell apart on me, it was so poorly made. And since then, they have catered way too much to the hip urban demographic to produce much of anything worth wearing (in my opinion).

Not sure if that was in response to mine, but while mine was purchased at J Crew, it is this guy:

Z.J.P

Well, that's a horse of a different color. That I could wear! ;)

It's an awesome piece of knitwear. I'd pay full price for their stuff any day (well, excluding VAT). I'm wanting one of their Submariner turtlenecks.

Jovan

Honors Member
Fell apart in what way?

Z.J.P

I've had a few J. Crew sweaters and they don't hold their shape well. I also had a few get holes in random spots. YMMV.

HalfLegend

Absolutely love shawl collar cardigans... they're my go to wardrobe piece. I found some at Lands End over two years ago and wore them through high school into college and still have them. Haven't seen them on there lately but can vouch that if you see one on there, buy it! (I think these were $35-45 each and are a lambswool nylon etc. blend. Warm but rugged!)

Z.J.P

I will keep that in mind, thanks.

Per the J Crew stuff: I will say that the lambswool stuff holds up a bit better than the merino. I find that to be true across the board for lower priced knitwear. I have been told by a good source that Club Monaco's knitwear is a step up from J. Crew.

A few places I have seen some nice looking shawl collars are : O'Connell's, Heather Wallace, and anywhere that carries Scott and Charters Lambswool. Yes, these bump you up to higher prices, but this stuff is like military equipment: basic maintenance=years of service.

Also, I was in Hunter and Coggins in Asheville not long ago and they have a nice selection of knitwear that isn't completely listed on the website. It might be worth a call. Wonderful service there.

Duvel

Connoisseur
Can you say more about this? What else is there? Thanks.

Per the J Crew stuff: I will say that the lambswool stuff holds up a bit better than the merino. I find that to be true across the board for lower priced knitwear. I have been told by a good source that Club Monaco's knitwear is a step up from J. Crew.

A few places I have seen some nice looking shawl collars are : O'Connell's, Heather Wallace, and anywhere that carries Scott and Charters Lambswool. Yes, these bump you up to higher prices, but this stuff is like military equipment: basic maintenance=years of service.

Also, I was in Hunter and Coggins in Asheville not long ago and they have a nice selection of knitwear that isn't completely listed on the website. It might be worth a call. Wonderful service there.

hardline_42

Honors Member
For affordable, workhorse shawl collar cardigans, I'd take a look at WoolOver's offerings. The have a nice cardigan in British wool and another in textured lambswool that I wouldn't mind trying out.

Z.J.P

Can you say more about this? What else is there? Thanks.

As far as specifics, I don't have a lot more.

I visited when it was still hot out, so my attention wasn't in knitwear mode just yet. I saw that they had a selection of Alan Paine and some house label Shetlands like on the website, but there seemed to be more options in the house line of sweaters. Best bet is to give them a call and set the record completely straight.

I should have put that with a disclaimer that read : Hazy recollection from a brief visit 2 months ago. My apologies if I get someone's hopes up and it turns out to be incorrect.

Duvel

Connoisseur
I miss that place. I did not buy a lot there in my time in Asheville... a couple of hats, a cap, and a sweater. I never had quite the scratch for the great stuff the store carried, but I loved haunting the place. It's in a pretty location, too, on a rather out-of-the-way corner of downtown lined with some maples. A lovely store.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange