It's that time of year again... shawl collar sweaters and cardigans.

alkydrinker

I've been reflecting on shawl sweaters a bit lately as I consider my sweater collection (and the shawl collar seems so ubiquitous in the stores now). I've never owned one and have tended to think there is something a bit precious and slightly childlike and/or feminine about them. I feel they overtly make a guy look unaggressive, mild, and kind...but in a way that is trying too hard to make onlookers think that about the person. To me, it would seem almost comical to imagine a guy in a shawl sweater yelling at someone else. Although I could see some people thinking that same exact thing about standard cardigans, which I do wear.

HerrDavid

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I've been reflecting on shawl sweaters a bit lately as I consider my sweater collection (and the shawl collar seems so ubiquitous in the stores now). I've never owned one and have tended to think there is something a bit precious and slightly childlike and/or feminine about them. I feel they overtly make a guy look unaggressive, mild, and kind...but in a way that is trying too hard to make onlookers think that about the person. To me, it would seem almost comical to imagine a guy in a shawl sweater yelling at someone else. Although I could see some people thinking that same exact thing about standard cardigans, which I do wear.

Mr. McQueen would like a word with you! :)

Z.J.P

I miss that place. I did not buy a lot there in my time in Asheville... a couple of hats, a cap, and a sweater. I never had quite the scratch for the great stuff the store carried, but I loved haunting the place. It's in a pretty location, too, on a rather out-of-the-way corner of downtown lined with some maples. A lovely store.

I was pleasantly surprised with the store. It was recommended to me by the man behind one of my favorite tumblr pages: https://glengarrysportingclub.tumblr.com/

Asheville is nice. The city doesn't seem like much at first and then unfolds into something quite unique.

Duvel

Connoisseur
Unless you have to live there. Then you quickly tire, as we did, of the constant tourism busy-ness, the continual hipster "hipper than thou" shenanigans, and the enormous disparity between the service class and the upper crust (with very little in between, where we were fortunate to sit). Nice to visit but... in other words.

At the same time, the surrounding mountainside areas are beautiful.

I was pleasantly surprised with the store. It was recommended to me by the man behind one of my favorite tumblr pages: https://glengarrysportingclub.tumblr.com/

Asheville is nice. The city doesn't seem like much at first and then unfolds into something quite unique.

Z.J.P

Unless you have to live there. Then you quickly tire, as we did, of the constant tourism busy-ness, the continual hipster "hipper than thou" shenanigans, and the enormous disparity between the service class and the upper crust (with very little in between, where we were fortunate to sit). Nice to visit but... in other words.

I guess there is more to unfold.

WillBarrett

Nicely said . And could also be said of picturesque New England. I read something recently about "the other Maine."

Duvel

Connoisseur
I was there for 3 years and both loved it and hated it. We lived in an ideal spot just outside of town that felt like country, a little valley almost, hidden from the main road, complete with farmer neighbors who owned mules and horses. And yet downtown was just a 5-minute drive. There are many things to love about Asheville, but I found that I couldn't often get to them because of how overtaken everything was by the tourists.

I guess there is more to unfold.

ArtVandalay

I have the same Rugby as you, Jovan -- how is yours holding up? Mine has gotten fairly baggy and the collar stitching has started to pull away from the body of the shirt. I've also had to put patches on the elbows because I wore holes through both.

Love that thing though -- maybe I'm just wearing it too much!

Last edited:

Jovan

Honors Member
I don't wear it that much -- I alternate between it, a crewneck Shetland also from them (whose patches I wish they had put on the shawl cardigan instead), and my Merino sweaters. I've had the same issue with the collar stitching, but a quick repair at my local guy should keep it from happening again.

Oak City Trad

I was there for 3 years and both loved it and hated it. We lived in an ideal spot just outside of town that felt like country, a little valley almost, hidden from the main road, complete with farmer neighbors who owned mules and horses. And yet downtown was just a 5-minute drive. There are many things to love about Asheville, but I found that I couldn't often get to them because of how overtaken everything was by the tourists.

As a tourist and someone who knows a few Ashevillians, I can't speak highly enough of the place. Beer, food, scenery: it's all wonderful.

We've also stayed outside of town in the surrounding mountain hamlets. Nothing like it in the fall. Perfect time for heavy knits!

Duvel

Connoisseur
Make no mistake--I speak highly of it, from the outside. It's just kind of a pain in the keister to live there full-time. Believe it or not, I am much happier in the middle of the Iowa prairie (although Minneapolis may be our final destination--I absolutely L U V that city).

And as far as the food, beer, and scenery, meh... there is just as good if not better many other places. Asheville is a bit overrated in those respects, at least in the beer and food respects.

As a tourist and someone who knows a few Ashevillians, I can't speak highly enough of the place. Beer, food, scenery: it's all wonderful.

We've also stayed outside of town in the surrounding mountain hamlets. Nothing like it in the fall. Perfect time for heavy knits!

Last edited:

Yodan731

Cough up the dough for this one from O'Connell's :

Pick one up for me in 44 while you are there... :)

I have tried this on in the store. It is amazing. I am buying it when I retire and never taking it off or turning on my heat again. I plan to sit there in front of the fireplace, smoking a cigar, and slowly fading away. The cardigan is that good.

Brio1

I have tried this on in the store. It is amazing. I am buying it when I retire and never taking it off or turning on my heat again. I plan to sit there in front of the fireplace, smoking a cigar, and slowly fading away. The cardigan is that good.

A man with good tastes !

Have you tried on the shawl cardigan from J. Press?

Yodan731

I've never tried it on, but it looks a little more refined than the O'Connell's version. Looks like a good buy. Next time I have a few grand built up in the sweater budget I'll buy one of each and do a full review on here.

Don't wait up however, as every time my sweater fund hits $165 I end up with a new O'Connell's shetland in my closet.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.