It's that time of year again... shawl collar sweaters and cardigans.

Billax

Though I haven't worn it yet this year, here's a picture – from last Winter – of the Rugby Ralph Lauren Shawl Collar Cardigan with suede elbow patches Jovan started this thread about:

c5bf2d6b6c74b5a0ea8c32d54c49996c.jpg

$37 as they were shuttering the brand, if memory serves. It's quite handsome to my eyes and very warm!

Attachments

• c5bf2d6b6c74b5a0ea8c32d54c49996c.jpg
    c5bf2d6b6c74b5a0ea8c32d54c49996c.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

zzdocxx

Honors Member
Here's mine, cashmere from LLBean, or perhaps LandsEnd yeah that's it:

cashmere.jpg
attachment.php

That's a stock photo, I am not so trim.

But I almost never can wear it as it is just too warm. Though I have gotten compliments on it from a young woman 2 out of the 3 times.

Not sure how many ply. But too hot !

Jovan

Honors Member
Billax, that is indeed a handsome sweater and a nice deal for the price. I believe mine is from the previous year. It has dull brass buttons, herringbone knit collar and placket, and no elbow patches.

orange fury

Connoisseur
Ugh, you guys are making me want a shawl cardigan, I told myself that I'm supposed to be looking at Irish fishing sweaters this year, now I'm losing my focus lol

I have been looking into these for quite a while. I have looked at all the shawl cardis I could find from J.Crew (That chest pocket is awful) to Ben Silver (The price made me dizzy) and my takeaway is that in order to get the shawl look I want I have to drop at least $300. I was looking into purchasing one sport coat this year at retail (or sale retail), but if I can't find one on my list one of these sweaters will make a fantastic replacement.

The ones that are priced under this have a few issues. They all seem unsubstantial in weight, smaller shawls, and have a flat "shawl roll". Most of them would not look right with a tie while I have seen the heavier gauge shawl cardi's look fantastic with a tie (not that I would wear a tie the majority of the time with it).

*The Rugby Shawl's seem to be the exception. Jovan's above has the look that I want. I should have purchased more than 1 when I had the chance.

Last edited:

alkydrinker

I have been looking into these for quite a while. I have looked at all the shawl cardis I could find...

In a recent issue of Esquire, they said men should preferably refer to button-front knitwear simply as a "sweater," maybe a "cardigan," but never a "cardi." Not that I listen to everything Esquire says, but I have to agree that abbreviation does sound effeminately grating.

Duvel

Connoisseur
I'm with you on this, OCBD. At least based on my recent trawling through the web, it looks to me like one has to spend at least $300 for anything decent.

The last decent "poor man's" choice I saw was the lambswool/rabbit hair version that J. Crew produced around 2009. I owned it and loved its traditional proportions (not too slim) and design, but it wasn't made to last. It pilled a lot very quickly, and I had trouble with stitching coming undone. Would have been a great classic piece if they'd made it a little better.

I also own this J. Crew version from two years ago, which my wife got for me: https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sweaters/cotton/PRDOVR~95617/95617.jsp

It is really okay, surprisingly, but it is cotton, and I'm not a huge fan of cotton sweaters. But in the depths of winter, this one has been a comfort to turn to. One feature I really like about it is the collar button, something I don't see on even some of the higher-priced cardigans. You go all Bullitt in this one.

Last edited:
In a recent issue of Esquire, they said men should preferably refer to button-front knitwear simply as a "sweater," maybe a "cardigan," but never a "cardi." Not that I listen to everything Esquire says, but I have to agree that abbreviation does sound effeminately grating.

Good point. However, in real life I would not say "cardi." I would also not admit to knowing as much about clothing as I do in real life in general unless I was among fellow clothing enthusiasts. As a matter of fact, here, my blog, and few other online destinations are the only place that I geek out on clothes. Most of my friends don't even know I have a blog let alone have I pointed out a 3/2 roll is.

I also rarely read fashion magazines. There are none (that I have discovered) that even remotely appeal to me. They feel your mind with muck.

Fred G. Unn

The Scott & Charters shawl cardigans from NMWA look amazing!

https://www.nomanwalksalone.com/ind...r-shawl-collar-lambswool-cardigan-jacket.html

918_178.jpg

Unionmade has a bunch of shawl cardigans too:
https://unionmadegoods.com/product/frank-leder-wool-handknitted-cardigan-in-light-grey/

https://unionmadegoods.com/product/universal-works-basket-knit-jacket-in-olive/

https://unionmadegoods.com/product/saint-james-burlington-in-navy/

NMWA's end of season sales are just ok but Unionmade's are pretty great, up to 70% off for anyone that can wait until mid to late January.

Semper Jeep

I bought the "Heirloom Cardigan" from Epaulet and have been living in it since it arrived a couple of weeks ago. I tried to get one when they offered them a few years ago but missed the boat on my size.

leisureclass

Granted I have no experience with anything from epaulet or NW, but I've always been a fan of cutting out the middle man:

In this case it would save you $100

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.