It's TWEED Season!

orange fury

Connoisseur
Questionable ensembles, but beautiful tweed (and fair isle sweater, for that matter).

im enjoying my summer clothes (linen/seersucker/etc), but since we didn't have cool weather fall/winter 2015 (and I couldn't wear tweed), I'm looking forward to this upcoming fall. This is my winter clothing acquisition period though, so I'm itching to try out some of the new tweeds I recently purchased.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
That it is hardly unusual is somewhat rather beside the point for it remains dissonant. I stand quite firmly behind my assertion that the cool crispness suggested by a light blue bengal is wholly at odds with warm fuzzy tweed. Similarly I would counsel against a woolen tattersal shirt with a navy blazer- in the unlikely event of anyone suggesting such a fiendish combination.

I think think the dissonance is in the eye of the beholder. I like Bengal stripe shirts and tweeds, but that doesn't mean I like any Bengal stripe shirt with tweed. The shirt and jacket at issue is in-bounds, if not ideal. There are some things I'd like to change, such as having larger stripe, and I'd prefer oxford cloth.

This one is, to me, is out-of-bounds for many reasons.

0673.jpg

I don't personally wear wool shirts under jackets, but would find that perfectly in keeping with a tweed, for any who wished to wear it. A bit too rustic under a blazer. Under a navy homespun tweed such as the one the OP, it would look fine.

I think the underlying issue is different aesthetics. From my experience, many Brits like their crispness extra crispy. Americans tend to like to fuzz it up a bit. Is one right and one wrong? In this instance, I think not.

Edit: I misremembered the thread in which I posted the homespun navy tweed. (We'll plead a Senior Moment.:redface:)

This is said jacket -

tumblr_o4ybfbbpVa1s82axgo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

johwal

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
"I think think the dissonance is in the eye of the beholder. I like Bengal stripe shirts and tweeds, but that doesn't mean I like any Bengal stripe shirt with tweed. The shirt and jacket at issue is in-bounds, if not ideal. There are some things I'd like to change, such as having larger stripe, and I'd prefer oxford cloth."

To my eye, the tie and sweater could not be improved upon. And I have no problem with the shirt.

Shaver

Suspended
Perhaps I am tended towards an overly rigid perspective, although perhaps not? A further example of a shirt pairing, seen often worn, but which I disdain being bold gingham with a sober suit. Whether or not the dissonance is in the eye of the beholder speaks to a subjectivity which may ultimately eliminate any possibilty of objectivity. Do we not then deny our ability to dissuade such chaps as the Hoboken white dinner jacket and jeans proponent?

Shaver

Suspended
As an amusing aside, whilst googling to establish the prevalence of this bengal/tweed look I happened upon a phenomenon hitherto unknown to me: pinterest. I had not imagined that a more vacuous manner in which to waste one's time than Facebook could be conceived of. I was sadly mistaken.

Balfour

Suspended
As an amusing aside, whilst googling to establish the prevalence of this bengal/tweed look I happened upon a phenomenon hitherto unknown to me: pinterest. I had not imagined that a more vacuous manner in which to waste one's time than Facebook could be conceived of. I was sadly mistaken.

:laughing:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Perhaps I am tended towards an overly rigid perspective, although perhaps not? A further example of a shirt pairing, seen often worn, but which I disdain being bold gingham with a sober suit. Whether or not the dissonance is in the eye of the beholder speaks to a subjectivity which may ultimately eliminate any possibilty of objectivity. Do we not then deny our ability to dissuade such chaps as the Hoboken white dinner jacket and jeans proponent?

We need not. Though, ultimately, each of our opinions is at its roots subjective. And perhaps it is necessary to examine and compare the difference in the origins of each. ;)

Forgive my misogyny, but in this we are in complete agreement. The origins of Facebook, as I understand them, was to allow adolescent girls to trade photographs. I am not an adolescent girl.

Last edited:

Shaver

Suspended
We need not. Though, ultimately, each of our opinions is at its roots subjective. And perhaps it is necessary to examine and compare the difference in the origins of each. ;)

Forgive my misogyny, but in this we are in complete agreement. The origins of Facebook, as I understand them, was to allow adolescent girls to trade photographs. I am not an adolescent girl.

Hmmph! Whilst we were PMing you assured me that you were an adolescent girl. :icon_pale:

More seriously, it is increasingly refreshing to disagree on this forum whilst maintaining a modicum of geniality, which does you no small credit my friend.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ Beautiful collection sir. And while it just might be a camera angle thing, it does look like the weight of all your tweed is bowing your closet bar - nothing like the wonderful heft of tightly woven wool.

g3org3y

⇧ Beautiful collection sir. And while it just might be a camera angle thing, it does look like the weight of all your tweed is bowing your closet bar - nothing like the wonderful heft of tightly woven wool.

Thanks FF. Probably the camera angle but as you mention, a decent tweed has some weight to it.

I dare say a much finer collection than one would find at most menswear stores/departments. Very nice!

Thanks Stephen. It has been accrued over the last three years or so. If I see a bargain, I try to snap it up. My wife tells me I have too many. I tell her she's wrong.
Outstanding! :beer:

:beer:

I see I have some catching up to do!

No pressure. :great: ;)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Wore a gunning jacket over tattersall, pheasant emblematic tie and green moleskins last night. Company is coming tonight, I think, so it will be time to break out the chunky shawl collar cardigan. Ah . . . autumn!

jpgr

Please pardon my ignorance. But in the 3rd and 4th pictures (maybe the 2nd), are those wool ties?

I'm pretty new here. I've seen wool ties, and I think they look great. I just keep wondering when and with what they could be worn. Now I see.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange