Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Not sure I get the usefulness of a pocket watch, compared to a wrist watch. Or the chain thing. I would imagine however that a chain attached to a cell phone might come in handy, like for the time I leaned too far over the pool and the flip inside my blazer slid out, refused to float.

Below, a special subset of tweed, the tweed you sleep in. I actually like this look. And if you sit outside the 7-11 long enough, you'll pick up some spare change.

5cb1904cac6bbf9c9ab92b698166420f.jpg

Next is an idea I'm thinking about. It's a 50s panel shirt. As preps we did not wear these. Less snooty kids did. I am picturing a brown Harris Tweed, with front panels of a mocha smooth wool. I have these items and have never seen this treatment done with a heavy tweed jacket, although Pendleton did it early on with thinner wool plus corduroy, brown and mustard I have, along with olive and gold..

5af071a4a2d4b86dd3686e05aa2b933f.jpg

Below is a jacket similar to one posted in the Ralph thread a few days ago, a jacket shat on for cock eyed reasoning. This is not a Lauren, but as striking. I think that if it were mine I would wear it just like this, with all three buttons done up.

f89c2576ede04b1f6da4f21145308c37.jpg

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I confess I have a similar watch chain except mine is not a chain but braided leather. I purchased it some years ago but never used it, one of those impulsive buys.

I do own several vintage pocket watches, in fact repaired one this morning, an Illinois and shes ticking away very accurately.

I'm currently eyeing a Zenith, just wish it were a bit less expensive. If its still around in a couple of weeks
I'll probably pull the trigger, a birthday gift to myself. :)
"He who hesitates is lost!" Buy it now, before some other enthusiast does. Good luck in your effort. ;)

delicious_scent

Magee samples finally reached me. Amazing customer service by the way, they sent them out completely free to me across the ocean, at no charge.

I'll definitely be buying my tweed overcoat fabric from them.

Initially I was attracted to the lighter herringbone, but the dark green herringbone tweed is very striking in person, and so is the salt and pepper donegal grey.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Magee samples finally reached me. Amazing customer service by the way, they sent them out completely free to me across the ocean, at no charge.

I'll definitely be buying my tweed overcoat fabric from them.

Initially I was attracted to the lighter herringbone, but the dark green herringbone tweed is very striking in person, and so is the salt and pepper donegal grey.

You want the deep green donegal, bottom center. The others are decent, but blah. You needn't worry about color versatility because an outer coat, color wise, doesn't need to match anything. The exception would be wearing this on the runway unbuttoned with arms akimbo flashing whatever's piled on beneath, whereas you'll be wearing yours mostly buttoned up at the Wendy's drive-through. The picture quality of the swatches is not very good, maybe because you're using a pink cell phone. You still have that? Sheesh.

delicious_scent

You want the deep green donegal, bottom center. The others are decent, but blah. You needn't worry about color versatility because an outer coat, color wise, doesn't need to match anything. The exception would be wearing this on the runway unbuttoned with arms akimbo flashing whatever's piled on beneath, whereas you'll be wearing yours mostly buttoned up at the Wendy's drive-through. The picture quality of the swatches is not very good, maybe because you're using a pink cell phone. You still have that? Sheesh.
Hahahaha, very good memory. Yeah that cell phone is a piece of crap at this point, but I don't want to pay up for a new one, it's serviceable, but picture quality is a solid 2/10.

Agreed that deep green is great, it stuck out to me right away in person.

I'm taking it all into consideration with my other overcoat, which is a rust brown. I'm more uncertain about the dark green. The lightest herringbone grey up there I can picture more easily in my head and would likely slot better in my wardrobe.

I found one on google that looks basically the same as that cloth.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Dial back up a few posts until you find the one with the panel shirt. No? Baby not up to it? Okay, I'll do it for you...

5af071a4a2d4b86dd3686e05aa2b933f.jpg

As mentioned earlier, I'm thinking that treatment might work with a tweed jacket, although I've never seen one. Below is a Harris Tweed from a vintage shop. Next to it is a disassembled leg from a pair of Polo wools from the same shop, for free once I pointed out scorch marks across the crotch. (Learn from this. Iron must always be in motion. Yes I know it doesn't have wheels, keep moving it anyway.)

20200825_180627~6.jpg

While appearing greenish on screen, panel cloth is actually gray with black. Mini hound's tooth. Tweed color is close, less vibrant IRL.

Last edited:

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
This will make sense only if you've been to this thread recently and have been paying attention. After this, below, future pics and details will appear in their own thread. Watch for it.

20200827_100234~5.jpg

Mannequin's on break, me inside.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
^

Liking everything about this, including what at first glance seemed a single, giant cuff button until a second look revealed it was a partial garment label. Shirt and tie with this, a potential tuff pairing, thumbs up.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.