Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Simon from Permanent Style also had a flamboyant greatcoat made.
Flamboyant is right, with emphasis on the flam. A little too steam punk.

The WWI coat shown above (a stock photo) is Incredibly well made, with no turn-under at the hem, just cut and blanket stitched. To save labor time, I'm told. At war's conclusion, we had one-million men in France and enlisted men wore similar to my granddad's major's coat. So these had to be really cranked out. The sleeves of mine partially fell off because they were sewn with 100% cotton thread which rotted. The wool is pristene. I sewed the sleeves back up.

delicious_scent

Flamboyant is right, with emphasis on the flam. A little too steam punk.

The WWI coat shown above (a stock photo) is Incredibly well made, with no turn-under at the hem, just cut and blanket stitched. To save labor time, I'm told. At war's conclusion, we had one-million men in France and enlisted men wore similar to my granddad's major's coat. So these had to be really cranked out. The sleeves of mine partially fell off because they were sewn with 100% cotton thread which rotted. The wool is pristene. I sewed the sleeves back up.
This sounds pretty awesome, how warm is it? A guess at how dense the wool is and weight? I wonder if it was melton wool.

Any pictures of you in the coat, or just the coat?

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Any pictures of you in the coat, or just the coat?
No. Though that might be arranged for another day. I've never actually worn the coat, but have tried it on multiple times. Fits pretty good.

As a sidebar, I'm quite knowledgrable about that war. It's a major interest of mine, which began by coming across this coat well preserved in a trunk some years ago, staring at it, getting puppy-loved about it and wondering what the hell went on in1914 that required a coat like this.

delicious_scent

No. Though that might be arranged for another day. I've never actually worn the coat, but have tried it on multiple times. Fits pretty good.

As a sidebar, I'm quite knowledgrable about that war. It's a major interest of mine, which began by coming across this coat well preserved in a trunk some years ago, staring at it, getting puppy-loved about it and wondering what the hell went on in1914 that required a coat like this.
I realized that my future overcoat is almost a dream or wish for better days, realistically it won't be worn much, especially with school moving online. I'll probably just go for walks as an excuse to wear it.

I don't know much about WW1, except that it was a dirty war filled with trenches, disease, and death. I got bored of school repeatedly teaching WW2, and not much about WW1. Even video games mainly cover WW2 and never 1.

The movie 1917 was an enjoyable visceral experience regarding trench warfare and the terror it instilled, especially of mortars.

I'd be interested in reading a dedicated WW1 clothing thread if you ever made one.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
My maternal grandfather was a combat engineer in WWI, out in front of the front lines digging trenches. When he got back (unscathed!) he never, ever talked about anything involving the war except for adamantly forbidding corned beef to ever cross the threshold of his house. Dad flew paratroops in WWII. He didn't talk much about it except for one horrific training flight over the Caribbean. It probably gave him nightmares for years.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
I realized that my future overcoat is almost a dream or wish for better days, realistically it won't be worn much, especially with school moving online. I'll probably just go for walks as an excuse to wear it.

I don't know much about WW1, except that it was a dirty war filled with trenches, disease, and death. I got bored of school repeatedly teaching WW2, and not much about WW1. Even video games mainly cover WW2 and never 1.

The movie 1917 was an enjoyable visceral experience regarding trench warfare and the terror it instilled, especially of mortars.

I'd be interested in reading a dedicated WW1 clothing thread if you ever made one.
WWI will haunt me to the end. More devastating than WWII in cash spent, materiál used and lives lost world wide. America was only in the thing for a year and a half and suffered about the same amount of deaths as we did later in Viet Nam (ca. 55,000). Contrast this with June 1st. 1916, when the Brits took 57.000 casualties in a single 24 hour period, 20,000 of them dead. The Battle of the Somme. Since the discovery of the coat I have accumulated other WWI gear including posters, clothing, letters, signed photos from certain commanders and metal helmets from the allied powers, US, France and Britain plus one from the Central Powers, Germany. The letters are my favorites

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
My maternal grandfather was a combat engineer in WWI, out in front of the front lines digging trenches. When he got back (unscathed!) he never, ever talked about anything involving the war except for adamantly forbidding corned beef to ever cross the threshold of his house. Dad flew paratroops in WWII. He didn't talk much about it except for one horrific training flight over the Caribbean. It probably gave him nightmares for years.
And my Uncle George, at Anzio In WWII, would hole up in his study with the blinds drawn every 4th of July because he couldn't stand the sound and fury of the fireworks, and shied away from hanging a Xmas wreath on the front door, as unadorned, bramble ones would be used similarly to signify a death inside.

delicious_scent

WWI will haunt me to the end. More devastating than WWII in cash spent, materiál used and lives lost world wide. America was only in the thing for a year and a half and suffered about the same amount of deaths as we did later in Viet Nam (ca. 55,000). Contrast this with June 1st. 1916, when the Brits took 57.000 casualties in a single 24 hour period, 20,000 of them dead. The Battle of the Somme. Since the discovery of the coat I have accumulated other WWI gear including posters, clothing, letters, signed photos from certain commanders and metal helmets from the allied powers, US, France and Britain plus one from the Central Powers, Germany. The letters are my favorites
Man I'd definitely love to see a thread full of pictures on that, on the interchange or wherever.

20 000 dying in one day is not something I'm able to grasp, or even the amount of coronavirus deaths or other mortality statistics I read.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I went into Service during Vietnam but since I fractured my l femur in basic I never went there or saw combat. Still, once I got off Active Duty, for some reason I could no longer tolerate overhead fireworks. this went on for years and I have no explanation. I finally got over it but Uncle George has my complete sympathy.

never behind

If you like podcasts, Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History did a series on WWI a couple years ago. It is behind the paywall now, but you can get roughly 24 hours of content for $15 or so. Dan is awesome.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.