Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I would like to see a reference establishing that the Donegal is a 'legal' definition. I never have. Either way, that is a beautiful coat.
Your post got me to check and you are correct:

"Unlike Harris Tweed whose provenance has been closely protected, Donegal tweed never achieved such status. Though the name comes from a specific geographic location, the term "donegal" can refer today to any tweed with this characteristic flecked pattern. But properly it should come only from that single county."

Full article: https://clan.com/blog/tweed-types-names

delicious_scent

So I went from wanting a blue tweed coat, to a traditional black/white herringbone, and now this giant PoW check coat.

This cloth is a heavier 24oz, more interesting looking, yet I think will still be versatile. Also cool to know it's undyed with no chemicals either.

The black/white Magee herringbone was out of stock till mid-October, and this was even cheaper, so it was a very obvious choice to me, finally no more indecision!

If anyone is interested, you can get cloth like this by contacting Marling & Evans directly via their e-mail and phone number.

The total cost, with shipping, comes out to about $72USD/metre. The shipping cost is hefty which drove up the price, but it's still a great value.

It does make me feel that companies like Fox charge ridiculous prices in comparison at 4-5x the cost. I doubt that's a quality difference.

I've read this is something to do with Merchants vs. Mills.

Now to receive the cloth. Hopefully my tailor can make a great raglan sleeve for my coat, that'll be the final step.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Good looking coat and jacket, both of them. However, what's with the sweater, tied around his butt? Not sure I'd want to wear that sweater in the normal way after it's been used as a fart filter. ;)
I think so much of what we see here and in other pics - sweaters tied around waists, collars popped, extensive layering, unbuttoned OCBD collars, sweatpants with sport coats, etc. - is "fashion" trying to do something different because that's what "fashion" does.

Sometimes, something "fashion" does takes off, but most of the time, the "fashion" stuff just flies by in pics or on the runway and the rest of us go on living our lives without doing the more extreme stuff.

delicious_scent

I got my tweed fabric finally. 4m is a lot more than I expected. I had to unravel it all and take a picture. I couldn't get the entire length in!

The hand feel is what you'd expect for tweed: very hairy and scratchy, spongey and stretchy, but also seriously THICK. I'd put this at 24oz for weight I'd say. I don't know how conversions work, but it was listed at 720g.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I got my tweed fabric finally. 4m is a lot more than I expected. I had to unravel it all and take a picture. I couldn't get the entire length in!

The hand feel is what you'd expect for tweed: very hairy and scratchy, spongey and stretchy, but also seriously THICK. I'd put this at 24oz for weight I'd say. I don't know how conversions work, but it was listed at 720g.
Very exiting. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.