FiscalDean

I got my tweed fabric finally. 4m is a lot more than I expected. I had to unravel it all and take a picture. I couldn't get the entire length in!

The hand feel is what you'd expect for tweed: very hairy and scratchy, spongey and stretchy, but also seriously THICK. I'd put this at 24oz for weight I'd say. I don't know how conversions work, but it was listed at 720g.
That would be 25.4 oz. What is the width? It looks to be less than the standard 60".

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Yesterday, in the mail (the paper kind), a catalogue from Todd Synder showed up. I was maybe aware that a brand by that name existed, but I had no idea what it was and had certainly never bought anything from it nor signed up for its catalogue. I guess it bought my name and address from some list.

Anywho, I only half looked through it as I was standing in the kitchen talking with my girlfriend, but I did see this kinda Tweed coat, I guess.

It's interesting that the description uses the terms "Balmacaan," "Donegal" and "twill," but not "Tweed." Considering (as we learned earlier in this thread) that "Donegal Tweed" is not a legally protected name (hence, get close to something wooly, scratchy and with flecks of color and you're good to go), I'm surprised Todd Snyder didn't use the term "Tweed."

But then, who knows what its marketing / target demographic says / thinks about the word "Tweed." Maybe "twill" sells better or maybe it felt "twill" more accurately described the weave.

ITALIAN DONEGAL TWILL BALMACAAN COAT IN BROWN
Shot_15_004_R_2000x.jpg
OU2088796-BR01_2000x.jpg

Description from the website: The Balmacaan [pronounced bal-MA-can] takes its name from the Scottish estate near Inverness where this style was reportedly first seen in the 19th Century. The key attributes are raglan sleeves (unstructured), a fly-button front, a Prussian collar (it resembles a men’s shirt more than a suit lapel) and a slightly slouchy fit. There’s nothing slouchy about the fabrication, though: The Donegal patterned cloth is made from Italian virgin wool for a luxurious hand feel and genuine horn buttons.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.