some_dude

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Is that the guy from the Heathman?
The Heathman has had lots of well-known Chefs over the years. I believe Greg Higgins was the Chef there, long ago-- probably before 2000. He has Higgins restaurant just up Broadway, and also the Piggins food cart in front of the Historical Society.

Philippe Boulot was there for a number of years, and personally was (and is) my favorite. He is at the MAC now. The entire food service operation there went from pretty bad to very good, and I give him all the credit.

Vitaly Paley was the most recent, although honestly I don't know how much actual cooking he ever did there. He had a number of restaurants, and with the pandemic, is back to just his place on NW 23rd now.

At the moment, I don't think there is any restaurant in the Heathman, sadly, although I would hope once things come back to normal, they will get someone decent in there. Paley did a big remodel which, in my opinion, really made the place much less pleasant, with hard surfaces everywhere.

David J. Cooper

Some Dude. Thanks for that. I had a strong desire to eat at the Heathman when Higgins was there but never made it. The one time we were in Portland during that time we had an excellent meal at Pazzo? I think that was the name of the place. It was in the Vintage Hotel. The next day we picked up picnic supplies from a place called Ron Paul’s.

We plan to go to Portland for a week once the borders reopen.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
When you get here, by all means eat at Higgins. And should you arrive in the early spring, order the duck with the rhubarb confit. It's described by the wait staff as the best thing on the menu and I fully concur. He serves a different confit depending on the season but the rhubarb is the best!

I wondered if Boulet had transferred to the MAC. Bourdain mentioned the Bacon 'n' Bleu salad at the Heathman and when my girlfriend (who is a MAC member) invited me to dinner there, I saw it on the menu. Gentleman, it is the best, most decadent salad ever concocted.

Last edited:

EclecticSr.

Possible dupe pic, beautiful jacket.
View attachment 51209

And a bonus distaff Tweed.
View attachment 51208

Fading do you know the maker or vendor offering the tweed in the first pic.
I have a similar from Bucktrout sans buttons at the flap pockets in a darker brown tweed.

I'm also awaiting one from the U.K. that seems to be lost in Royal mail/customs for 5 weeks now.
A lovat and brown tweed.

I don't need it, I just want it ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Fading do you know the maker or vendor offering the tweed in the first pic.
I have a similar from Bucktrout sans buttons at the flap pockets in a darker brown tweed.

I'm also awaiting one from the U.K. that seems to be lost in Royal mail/customs for 5 weeks now.
A lovat and brown tweed.

I don't need it, I just want it ;)
I'm sorry, I don't. I just tried Google image search, but it just sent me back to Pinterest, which is where I found it. Unfortunately, on Pinterest, there are no details - manufacturer, store, etc. - noted.

The one you have coming sounds great - would love to see a pic when you get it.

EclecticSr.

I'm sorry, I don't. I just tried Google image search, but it just sent me back to Pinterest, which is where I found it. Unfortunately, on Pinterest, there are no details - manufacturer, store, etc. - noted.

Hope this comes through
M Tweed Patch Pocket Jacket
PRODUCT CODE: TR40585 Lovat brown.

House of Bruar.com

EclecticSr.

That's the problem with Pinterest, frustrating. You see something you like but no lead as to where to get it most times.

EclecticSr.

Outstanding. Beautiful looking jacket. Also, even accounting for the currency conversion, it looks like very good value. Enjoy.
I have purchased several items from them over the years and always found the merchandise to be of good quality. Jackets , trousers, shirts etc. and of good value.

keeping my fingers crossed that I will eventually receive my parcel. They are good people to deal with and I'm sure my problem will be resolved. No doubt covid plays large part in this.

some_dude

Philippe is very active there, as well. I see him around in his chef's whites all the time. He is by no means a figurehead. And I think he is a phenomenal cook.

wondered if Boulet had transferred to the MAC. Bourdain mentioned the Bacon 'n' Bleu salad at the Heathman and when my girlfriend (who is a MAC member) invited me to dinner there, I saw it on the menu. Gentleman, it is the best, most decadent salad ever concocted.

some_dude

Some Dude. Thanks for that. I had a strong desire to eat at the Heathman when Higgins was there but never made it. The one time we were in Portland during that time we had an excellent meal at Pazzo? I think that was the name of the place. It was in the Vintage Hotel. The next day we picked up picnic supplies from a place called Ron Paul’s.

We plan to go to Portland for a week once the borders reopen.
My last non-Tweed post!

Pazzo's is long gone, it was replaced by a similar italian place, which I think is also gone due to the pandemic. Pazzo's used to have a little casual dining/bakery next door called "Pazzoria" which was one of my favorite lunch spots. Oh well...

Ron Paul, sadly, passed away a few years ago. He was a great guy and is much missed. He spent the last few years of his life trying to create a public market, much like what you have in Vancouver, and that effort continues and hopefully will come to fruition in the next decade.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals