Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I tend to keep TCM on in the background and, yesterday, this awesome suit popped up in the 1941 movie "The Feminine Touch" (I've seen the movie before, it's okay, but nothing more) worn by actor Don Ameche. The pics don't really do it justice as, in the movie, you can feel its wonderful Tweediness.
IMG_6222.JPG
IMG_6219.JPG
IMG_6220.JPG

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I tend to keep TCM on in the background and, yesterday, this awesome suit popped up in the 1941 movie "The Feminine Touch" (I've seen the movie before, it's okay, but nothing more) worn by actor Don Ameche. The pics don't really do it justice as, in the movie, you can feel its wonderful Tweediness.
View attachment 54709 View attachment 54710
I'm not sure which photo left the greater impression om me; the Bouffant hair comb or perhaps the high waisted trousers. Those were indeed the days! However, there is no doubt about it...I love the Tweed. ;)

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
The jacket is superb, the rust hue of the corduroy trousers is marginal with that jacket, and that rolled trouser leg looks like sh....(?), well let's just say the rolled cuff just shouldn't be there! LOL. ;)
Rolling the cuffs like that isn't a particularly good look. Is that another recent fashion trend of dubious character I've (fortunately) missed seeing? I know that rolling the cuffs of jeans up a bit is a thing lately. Some look OK to me that way, but generally not something I'd endorse. Corduroy trousers in that color are nice, but tend to agree that the color may be marginal with that jacket.

David J. Cooper

Rolling the cuffs like that isn't a particularly good look. Is that another recent fashion trend of dubious character I've (fortunately) missed seeing? I know that rolling the cuffs of jeans up a bit is a thing lately. Some look OK to me that way, but generally not something I'd endorse. Corduroy trousers in that color are nice, but tend to agree that the color may be marginal with that jacket.
It and tucked in sweaters have been a staple of the RL Polo look for as long as I can remember.

Troones

I love that sport coat too. The last thing I need is another sport coat, but if I found that one in my size, I'd be really, really tempted.
Count me as another great admirer of that jacket. What do you think about the turned back cuffs though? I’m sometimes tempted to try it as I always have to get sleeves on new sport coats shortened. I’d really like to avoid having to do it for maybe just one jacket.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Count me as another great admirer of that jacket. What do you think about the turned back cuffs though? I’m sometimes tempted to try it as I always have to get sleeves on new sport coats shortened. I’d really like to avoid having to do it for maybe just one jacket.
I'd say try it on one sport coat as you suggest and see if you are comfortable doing it. That's how I discover if I'm okay "stretching" things a bit. I usually know within a few hours whether I'm good with what I'm doing or if I'll never do it again.

Jeans-sneakers-and-a-tweed-sportcoat - yup, love it / no socks with dress shoes, dress trousers and sport coat - one and done, didn't work for me, felt uncomfortable the entire time.

Give it a shot once on the sport coat and you'll have your answer. If it's yes - great / if no, off to the tailor to shorten the sleeves, no big deal.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Or convert the sleeves to gauntlet cuffs. I don't have one like that but . . .

Oh, and the reason I've been away for a week is that Portland had an ice storm that knocked out power over most of metro area Saturday morning. I just got mine back about an hour ago. Note that you heard all the moaning and sobbing about Texas but not a peep about the PNW.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Oh, and the reason I've been away for a week is that Portland had an ice storm that knocked out power over most of metro area Saturday morning. I just got mine back about an hour ago. Note that you heard all the moaning and sobbing about Texas but not a peep about the PNW.
Speaking for many, let me just say it is good having you back! ;)

Troones

I caught that on the news about Portland. That’s brutal, but glad your power is finally back. What a vicious late winter it’s been.

It’s scary being without power and with no ETA. Back in 2013 Toronto had a vicious ice storm at Christmas and some were without power for a week. My family and I were lucky. Just 48 hours for us.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.