David J. Cooper

Or convert the sleeves to gauntlet cuffs. I don't have one like that but . . .

Oh, and the reason I've been away for a week is that Portland had an ice storm that knocked out power over most of metro area Saturday morning. I just got mine back about an hour ago. Note that you heard all the moaning and sobbing about Texas but not a peep about the PNW.
I thought it was something I said.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Had I not a gas-with-pilot light fireplace and water heater and a kitchen stovetop I can light with a match, the week would have been far more miserable than it was. But thanks for all the good wishes.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
On mute in the background yesterday, I had on TCM and "The Fortune Cookie" from 1966 was playing. The movie has a ton of Ivy-era clothes, but the Tweed overcoats, in particular, caught my eye.

I looked for awhile, but only found a few pics (most not great) of the coats. Check out this one worn by Walter Matthau (in the second pic, you can tell the material must have had some great flecking):
IMG_6232.JPG
Fortune Cookie.jpg

IMG_6230.JPG

And this cool raglan also made a brief appearance:
Cliff_Osmond_1966.jpg

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
On mute in the background yesterday, I had on TCM and "The Fortune Cookie" from 1966 was playing. The movie has a ton of Ivy-era clothes, but the Tweed overcoats, in particular, caught my eye.

I looked for awhile, but only found a few pics (most not great) of the coats. Check out this one worn by Walter Matthau (in the second pic, you can tell the material must have had some great flecking):
View attachment 54824 View attachment 54825
View attachment 54827

And this cool raglan also made a brief appearance:
View attachment 54829
Memorable tweeds for sure, and all sufficiently heavy to be bulletproof! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Memorable tweeds for sure, and all sufficiently heavy to be bulletproof! ;)
Spot on. These coats were built for winter first, style second. I'm still amazed at how they have all but disappeared from the general population's wardrobe. It seemed, up until about twenty years ago, big, heavy and warm overcoats were still going strong.

Now, I hardly ever see these type of coats on anyone under fifty (sixty?). Even if you see a "traditional" overcoat on someone young, it tends to be a shorter, thinner one - more about style than warmth.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Can't beat those old long, heavy topcoats. Being a tweed lover, if I found a tweed one thrifting, I'd probably snatch it up
I bought one from @TweedyDon (he's has outstanding clothes, is great to do business with and is a very nice guy - in fact, here it is #31,699 ) a few years back. The prices of these old coats are very low as, as noted, people have lost interest in them. Keep looking, I'll bet you'll find some great ones at very reasonable prices.

Last edited:

eagle2250

View attachment 54898
Cross post with the Ralph thread.
A great suit and the shirt compliments it well, investing it with some much needed pop. However, I find my attention drawn to the chair he is sitting on. I can honestly lay claim to a couple of hobnail trimmed leather easy chairs, not any covered in gator hide. That chair must have cost a small fortune! :crazy:

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
A great suit and the shirt compliments it well, investing it with some much needed pop. However, I find my attention drawn to the chair he is sitting on. I can honestly lay claim to a couple of hobnail trimmed leather easy chairs, not any covered in gator hide. That chair must have cost a small fortune! :crazy:
I love the suit but love the chair even more. Cost aside, while I love the look of some leather furniture, it is not only a bit more impractical than fabric furniture, I don't think it's as comfortable as fabric furniture.

eagle2250

I love the suit but love the chair even more. Cost aside, while I love the look of some leather furniture, it is not only a bit more impractical than fabric furniture, I don't think it's as comfortable as fabric furniture.
The comfort of the piece is largely dependent on the quality of the hides used in the upholstery, but truth be known, for those of us living in the sub-tropics, the air conditioners must be worked a bit harder for leather furniture to sit comfortably in the warmer months of the year! LOL. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
the single thing I can imagine doing to improve the design of that incredible Tweed would be to experiment with dual vents, rather than the single vent shown. However I cannot recall ever seeing one with dual vents? ;)
Funny, I have a couple of J.Crew Tweed sport coats that are double vented. I'd have preferred a single, but, in truth, the double vent looks fine. A touch less "Ivy" than I'd have gone for if I had had the choice, but these inexpensive coats are outstanding value. I have several of the J.Crew ones that I've owned for years and they just keep going, so no complaints from me.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.