It's TWEED Season!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I've told this story before, so I'll be brief. I did not own nor understand suits when I started working on Wall St out of college in the '80s. I wore a navy blazer and grey trousers at first, which was acceptable for kids out of college with the expectation you'd start building a wardrobe as soon as you could.

Several months later, I went shopping for my first suit and caught a two-for-one sales on a select number of Cricketeer suits. One was navy and one was a black pinstripe (I think, my memory is shaky on the details), which were the first two adults suits I ever owned.

They weren't really "right" versus the "Brooks Brothers Wall St." look, but I didn't know better and at least I was on my way.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Tweed02.jpg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Not tweed. But needs to be seen.

Bespoke DB suit made from vintage Sportex cloth. Love this cloth!

Sportex was a brand name and range of fine cloth intended for use in tailored clothing for sport, or more durable business wear. It was a brand name of Dormeuil, the 170 year old French mercer. This range was briefly revived not that long ago as described in the article at the link below by the tailor David Reeves in which he describes some of the cloth's properties.

Not tweed.jpg

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.