It's TWEED Season!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
1598986362.jpeg

Love the shoulders.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I used to know the name for a herringbone pattern with those kind of vertical "stripes" but have forgotten it. Do you happen to know it? And I love that jacket.

I've seen illustrations of similarly striped jackets as "sandwich stipes" though I'm at a loss of what the exact criteria are for that term to apply.

Edit: I went back and checked my archive, and the jacket is from Chipp's 1977 fall and winter catalog. The cloth is a Shetland, and the pattern is simply described as a herringbone stripe. And incidentally, they also show a swatch of the same pattern in a grey more similar to the jacket you posted.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I've seen illustrations of similarly striped jackets as "sandwich stipes" though I'm at a loss of what the exact criteria are for that term to apply.

Edit: I went back and checked my archive, and the jacket is from Chipp's 1977 fall and winter catalog. The cloth is a Shetland, and the pattern is simply described as a herringbone stripe. And incidentally, the also show a swatch of the same pattern in a grey more similar to the jacket you posted.
Maybe "Herringbone stripe" is it, but I thought it had a more arcane name. But that's from a thirty-plus-years-ago memory when stores stocked all these Tweed sport coats and had knowledgable salesmen who could tell you their names.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Maybe "Herringbone stripe" is it, but I thought it had a more arcane name. But that's from a thirty-plus-years-ago memory when stores stocked all these Tweed sport coats and had knowledgable salesmen who could tell you their names.

True enough, now you'd be lucky to find a salesman who even knew what a tweed was!

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Could it be Estate Tweed? Or perhaps Barleycorn Tweed?
I believe an estate tweed is a tweed of a particular pattern and colors unique to a specific estate and typically worn by its retainers. So while its possible it is so derived, its appearance seems more generic.

A barleycorn tweed is tweed in the pattern depicted below -

View attachment 61410

I wasn't familiar with the term "Estate" Tweed - cool info on that.

Many years ago, I owned a gray-green barleycorn sport coat (from Gorsarts in NYC, for those who remember that wonderful store) that I wish I could re-buy today.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
I believe an estate tweed is a tweed of a particular pattern and colors unique to a specific estate and typically worn by its retainers. So while its possible it is so derived, its appearance seems more generic.

A barleycorn tweed is tweed in the pattern depicted below -

View attachment 61410
When I think of an estate tweed it is usually herringbone with what looks like an overlay of a very wide windowpane pattern, typically on the order of three or four inches, with very fine lines and often different colors running vertically and horizontally.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.