eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Since it seems there were no objections to seasonal issues, let's all just carry on with the Tweeds:
View attachment 30908
The mixed buttons on the same sleeve looks odd - no?
Worse than odd, the mixed buttons on a jacket sleeve strike me as a half a**ed effort to be cute. The person responsible needs to step back and grow up a bit before presuming to wear 'big boy's clothes.' Just an old man's opinion. ;)

eagle2250

^^
The tweeds are quite spectacular, but that family seems a pretty dour bunch...only one of the six grants even a hint of a smile and the dogs also appear to be frowning! It must be the tail end of a long day of all hunting and no finding. LOL. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
^^
The tweeds are quite spectacular, but that family seems a pretty dour bunch...only one of the six grants even a hint of a smile and the dogs also appear to be frowning! It must be the tail end of a long day of all hunting and no finding. LOL. ;)
Interestingly, most photos from that period show people with serious faces. It's been argued that the two reasons for this are (1) photography was new and the belief / norm / meme then was that you wanted to present yourself to "the future" as a serious person and (2) most people had not-good teeth back then and didn't want to show them by smiling.

Hence, it's possible that the director / show runners - aware of the period norm - told the actors to present themselves that way. That, or as you note, they were cranky at the end of a long day and I've way overthought this. And, let's not kid ourselves, Lady Mary - yes, arrestingly beautiful - was no lighthearted, jocular soul.

eagle2250

Interestingly, most photos from that period show people with serious faces. It's been argued that the two reasons for this are (1) photography was new and the belief / norm / meme then was that you wanted to present yourself to "the future" as a serious person and (2) most people had not-good teeth back then and didn't want to show them by smiling.

Hence, it's possible that the director / show runners - aware of the period norm - told the actors to present themselves that way. That, or as you note, they were cranky at the end of a long day and I've way overthought this. And, let's not kid ourselves, Lady Mary - yes, arrestingly beautiful - was no lighthearted, jocular soul.
I look forward to, enjoy and learn from your always thoughtful and very informative replies. Thank you for that! ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.