ItalianStyle

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Interesting pattern for sure... and I haven't seen the "tie tucked in pants" since the 1950's where it apparently was normal if you had a bit of a belly...

Not sure why he had to cram a doormat (or whatever it is) in his pocket...?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
For Mother's Day, some classic tweed female attire (and two classic females)
8031778b36b6a18d1181719285fec1d5.jpg

36d722d16fa6ebf7da7e9f68dfc48e55.jpg

I kid you not, I found a neat one of Joan Crawford in tweed, but (whether the stories about her are true or not) with the Mommy Dearest thing, I just couldn't post it on Mother's Day.

StephenRG

Honors Member
Interestingly, most photos from that period show people with serious faces. It's been argued that the two reasons for this are (1) photography was new and the belief / norm / meme then was that you wanted to present yourself to "the future" as a serious person and (2) most people had not-good teeth back then and didn't want to show them by smiling.

Hence, it's possible that the director / show runners - aware of the period norm - told the actors to present themselves that way. That, or as you note, they were cranky at the end of a long day and I've way overthought this. And, let's not kid ourselves, Lady Mary - yes, arrestingly beautiful - was no lighthearted, jocular soul.
I wonder whether another reason for serious faces dates back to the very earliest days when exposure times were long, and it happens to be easier to keep a serious face still than a smiling one, and lo! a tradition is born.

FWIW Lewis Carroll wrote a very funny parody of "Hiawatha" on the subject.

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/hiawatha-s-photographing/

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I wonder whether another reason for serious faces dates back to the very earliest days when exposure times were long, and it happens to be easier to keep a serious face still than a smiling one, and lo! a tradition is born.

Yes, absolutely, I'm embarrassed that I forgot that until you brought it up, but it was definitely part of the reason.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Indeed the poem is delightful, but the accompanying music is increasingly tedious, as the verse continues. :crazy: Perhaps it's just me?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Some more houndstooth (not sure this one is tweed either):
ba09446e9ae1114fa2712e38edb4de34.jpg
With allowances for my monitor, I see a brown-and-white (or cream) houndstooth jacket, a grey wool sweater, a white (or cream) shirt and a tan-ish pair of pants.

On paper - I don't like the sound of that at all. But other than the pants, which have a somewhat orange hue that's too strong for the rest of the shades, I like what he's done here. It's a not-at-all-traditional outfit, that, IMHO, works.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
With allowances for my monitor, I see a brown-and-white (or cream) houndstooth jacket, a grey wool sweater, a white (or cream) shirt and a tan-ish pair of pants.

On paper - I don't like the sound of that at all. But other than the pants, which have a somewhat orange hue that's too strong for the rest of the shades, I like what he's done here. It's a not-at-all-traditional outfit, that, IMHO, works.
The glass of whisky in his hands is a top flight accessory, too.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ Pocket Square Review w/ ratings (starting at upper left):

1. The teal is too neon/loud - fights the tone of the tweed :angry::angry:

2. No pocket square is my default setting for tweed (rarely needs one and usually just effs things up) :):):):)

3. Okay I guess, but see #2 for preferred option :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.