Men's Clothing Forums banner

It's TWEED Season!

656K views 8K replies 115 participants last post by  Vecchio Vespa 
#1 ·
With the temperature in the shade at 93F, and a dew point of 70F, naturally, thoughts turn to tweed! Not to wear of course, but rather to aid in envisioning a sublime season of crisp breezes, cool dark shade and gentle late afternoon light.

Not necessarily Flanderian recommended, but rather some provocative and thought provoking ensembles featuring lovely tweeds.

https://tweedlandthegentlemansclub.blogspot.com/2016/05/tweed-more-tweed-2.html

See less See more
#27 · (Edited)
Perhaps I am tended towards an overly rigid perspective, although perhaps not? A further example of a shirt pairing, seen often worn, but which I disdain being bold gingham with a sober suit. Whether or not the dissonance is in the eye of the beholder speaks to a subjectivity which may ultimately eliminate any possibilty of objectivity. Do we not then deny our ability to dissuade such chaps as the Hoboken white dinner jacket and jeans proponent?
We need not. Though, ultimately, each of our opinions is at its roots subjective. And perhaps it is necessary to examine and compare the difference in the origins of each. ;)

As an amusing aside, whilst googling to establish the prevalence of this bengal/tweed look I happened upon a phenomenon hitherto unknown to me: pinterest. I had not imagined that a more vacuous manner in which to waste one's time than Facebook could be conceived of. I was sadly mistaken.
Forgive my misogyny, but in this we are in complete agreement. The origins of Facebook, as I understand them, was to allow adolescent girls to trade photographs. I am not an adolescent girl.

#28 ·
We need not. Though, ultimately, each of our opinions is at its roots subjective. And perhaps it is necessary to examine and compare the difference in the origins of each. ;)

Forgive my misogyny, but in this we are in complete agreement. The origins of Facebook, as I understand them, was to allow adolescent girls to trade photographs. I am not an adolescent girl.
Hmmph! Whilst we were PMing you assured me that you were an adolescent girl. :icon_pale:

More seriously, it is increasingly refreshing to disagree on this forum whilst maintaining a modicum of geniality, which does you no small credit my friend.

#30 · (Edited)
Hmmph! Whilst we were PMing you assured me that you were an adolescent girl. :icon_pale:
My name Peggy.

More seriously, it is increasingly refreshing to disagree on this forum whilst maintaining a modicum of geniality, which does you no small credit my friend.
It would be a dull world where everyone agreed with everyone else. :beer:

#36 ·
⇧ Beautiful collection sir. And while it just might be a camera angle thing, it does look like the weight of all your tweed is bowing your closet bar - nothing like the wonderful heft of tightly woven wool.
Thanks FF. Probably the camera angle but as you mention, a decent tweed has some weight to it.

I dare say a much finer collection than one would find at most menswear stores/departments. Very nice!
Thanks Stephen. It has been accrued over the last three years or so. If I see a bargain, I try to snap it up. My wife tells me I have too many. I tell her she's wrong.
Outstanding! :beer:
:beer:

I see I have some catching up to do!
No pressure. :great: ;)

#39 ·
Wore a gunning jacket over tattersall, pheasant emblematic tie and green moleskins last night. Company is coming tonight, I think, so it will be time to break out the chunky shawl collar cardigan. Ah . . . autumn!

#42 · (Edited)
Latest addition. :biggrin:
Magnificent tweeds! :thumbs-up:

Please pardon my ignorance. But in the 3rd and 4th pictures (maybe the 2nd), are those wool ties?

I'm pretty new here. I've seen wool ties, and I think they look great. I just keep wondering when and with what they could be worn. Now I see.
"And the blind shall see, and the lame walk!" ;)

If you're referring to the four ties in my OP, they're all wool! Wool ties can be of many varieties, tweed, flannel, knit and challis are four traditional and handsome varieties. And they offer a rough gradation of formality running from tweed, knit and flannel about the same, then challis, ranged from most rustic to least. Tweed looks best with country cloth, knit and flannel do well there also, but can be used to dress down worsted if they're not too rustic, and challis goes well with country cloth too, but does just as well with twills and unfinished worsted.

#44 · (Edited)
Rare lattice pattern tweed made up by B&Tailor. Don't know if it's made from vintage or contemporary cloth. The only clothier I've seen do rare traditional tweed patterns such as lattice and diamond in contemporary cloth is Paul Stuart. So mills evidently are willing and able to duplicate these historic tweeds if there is sufficient demand. Though London Lounge may have commissioned some as well, come to think of it.

#45 ·
...rare traditional tweed patterns such as lattice and diamond...
I have never seen this basketweave-looking lattice. I did see a diamond tweed coat at a Goodwill once and was heartbroken when it was too small for me. Given my diminutive size, this was further evidence that it was likely half a century old or more.
In finding the above link (btw - diamond tweed cloth is available new! tempting), I see that another rare tweed pattern is keystone, which seems to be a slight variation on houndstooth.

#51 ·
Saw this and thought of you Flanderian! ;)

Not a typical color, but beautiful none the less!
Thank you! That's a beautiful tweed. :thumbs-up:

I love the color, and know from experience that teals tend to flatter me. But I don't know if I could wear a whole suit of it. Though I'd love the jacket as an odd jacket.

And I should add, I love the cut here! Among the nicest I've seen.