Men's Clothing Forums banner

It's TWEED Season!

656K views 8K replies 115 participants last post by  Vecchio Vespa 
#1 ·
With the temperature in the shade at 93F, and a dew point of 70F, naturally, thoughts turn to tweed! Not to wear of course, but rather to aid in envisioning a sublime season of crisp breezes, cool dark shade and gentle late afternoon light.

Not necessarily Flanderian recommended, but rather some provocative and thought provoking ensembles featuring lovely tweeds.

https://tweedlandthegentlemansclub.blogspot.com/2016/05/tweed-more-tweed-2.html

See less See more
#5,559 ·
I've always rather liked shooting jacket designs and the one pictured above is no exception. Those suede elbow patches are perfect and the gun patch on the right shoulder would broadcast added appeal if it were lightly padded, with quilt stitching to give it that added shot of realism. That is a very nice jacket! ;)

#5,562 ·
#5,566 ·
Farlows or Cordings? These more subdued but very functional action back shooting jackets have great utility in the fields and around town (with khaki, denim, whipcord, cords, etc.). My observation is that many of us baby our sporting clothing too much. You don't really appreciate what it is about until you taken it off the beaten path.

View attachment 57682 View attachment 57683
Two of my favorite U.K. shops. I just today ordered 2 tattersall shirts from Farlows. I have more action back jackets that I'll ever need.

#5,570 ·
I was disappointed in your first two clauses, but you recovered nicely in the third, fourth and fifth. Always choose the girl. :)

And "the girl" here is Elizabeth Allen, one of my favorite actresses of the '30s. She had a reasonably successful career back then, but is all but forgotten today.

I wrote about one of her movies here #506 and, funny, commented on her in particular.

Hair Head Skin Lip Chin

#5,573 ·
I really didn't think I would miss the 'really' cold weather when we moved south, but then I keep looking at these fantastic examples of the Tweed arts you fellows keep posting in these threads and I do indeed miss and,yes' even wish for an extended cold snap. Please don't mistake this post for some the grass is always greener whining, but rather some "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" wishful thinking! ;)

#5,589 ·
I do so love the great coat and the canary yellow cardigan beneath it. The button down collared shirt and the tie are verging on fantastic. Jeez Louise, I think I like this whole darned rig. Well done, sir, whomever you may be! Oh wait, the gentleman pictured above has either lost his head...or here I sit, typing a love letter to a mannequin! That just can't be good? :crazy:;)

#5,590 · (Edited)
Correction.
Yesterday a British tweed was posted here. Proudly, because I'd just bought it. Er, wrong jacket. You see, I was going back and forth on-line between three vintage jackets, all British, made a decision, bought one, then disremembered which was which and posted the wrong one. This is the right one, yes in sick room green...

Screenshot_20210521-002311~2.png

I believe it's more brown than shown, based on seller's close-ups. Better be.

PSX_20210521_072548.jpg

PSX_20210521_071638.jpg

#5,592 ·
^

If by come together beautifully you're referring to everything that got tossed on the manniquin, okay I suppose, but - - and I may be the only one here who buys into this because basically I made it up - - an outer coat need not coordinate with anything beneath. When buttoned it covers everything, when unbuttoned, which it shouldn't be or why wear a coat, the little beneath that peeks through is of such a different nature and the coat is such a temporary adornment, that a worry over coordination parallels matching suit cloth with the sofa upholstery upon which you briefly sit. Maybe coordinate a coat with hat or cap since they're both outside gear, but there it ends. So that leaves no jacket, a chunky knit tie with a thin-knit, too-bright, mucho-unbuttoned cardigan and some gray pants. Passable, but uninspired.

#5,593 ·
So, if you've read up stream a couple of posts, you'll know that I conducted a criminal act and posted a pic of my new old English jacket that was never meant to be. Then you saw the seller's pic of the one that was meant to be. This foray into eeny meeny miny moe'dom was three nights ago and since the proper choice was English, but not coming from England but from New England, it arrived this afternoon. And during transit it turned from sick room green to the brown I hoped. This would be it...

PSX_20210521_145743.jpg