Mel

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Closing Madison store might be the first hint that JPress will close in the U.S.

The closing of their flagship store is a bad omen. I don't believe it was due to inability to find another location but due to the poor sales over the past few years. Their York Street line is absurb in price and style. You can get the same things for 1/3 the price in many of the youth oriented stores or even TJ Maxx etc. The real JPress things are now mostly in thrift shops. Apparently their Japanese sales are the vast majority of their income. I would not be surprised if the New Haven store doesn't reopen and the Cambridge store closes. The Japanese might want to sell the Boston real estate which I assume they own.

jsqueeze

Starting Member
It's all smoke and mirrors. J. Press has either forced out or fired their top sales men in N.Y. In the last 8 months and there Manager in their Washington store.
My guess it's over.

jsqueeze

Starting Member
They tried to Flip the store like in Real Estate. They put all their eggs in York Street and they failed ! Here's was the problem in a nutshell. The classic customer doesn't like York Street because it didn't fit them which Onward is pushing not caring about there loyal regular customer. Onward wanted a new customer. So the man it could fit younger hipper skinny guy could not afford it. So what's left except closing. Before York Street Onward tried other brands which also failed. There is room in New York for a great small store like the Original J. Press and little known F. R. Tripler & Co. Which closed in 1995. Classic clothing
is taught and passed down from generation to generation. The knowledge the salesman have will be lost forever. I know I worked a total of 40 years for these two Company's.

Last edited:

Mike75

The closing of their flagship store is a bad omen. I don't believe it was due to inability to find another location but due to the poor sales over the past few years. Their York Street line is absurb in price and style. You can get the same things for 1/3 the price in many of the youth oriented stores or even TJ Maxx etc. The real JPress things are now mostly in thrift shops. Apparently their Japanese sales are the vast majority of their income. I would not be surprised if the New Haven store doesn't reopen and the Cambridge store closes. The Japanese might want to sell the Boston real estate which I assume they own.
New Haven has always been the flagship store - it's where it all started! And they've already reopened on College Street. I think the demise of Press is premature.

Dr. D

I am guessing that the NYC store is gone for good but I can't imagine the stores in New Haven or Cambridge closing. The core Japanese business is based on the all-American ivy league look so how can they promote that without Press' ties to Yale and Harvard? These two shopfronts have value to Onward even if they lose money because they validate their ivy image.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
They tried to Flip the store like in Real Estate. They put all their eggs in York Street and they failed ! Here's was the problem in a nutshell. The classic customer doesn't like York Street because it didn't fit them which Onward is pushing not caring about there loyal regular customer. Onward wanted a new customer. So the man it could fit younger hipper skinny guy could not afford it. So what's left except closing. Before York Street Onward tried other brands which also failed. There is room in New York for a great small store like the Original J. Press and little known F. R. Tripler & Co. Which closed in 1995. Classic clothing
is taught and passed down from generation to generation. The knowledge the salesman have will be lost forever. I know I worked a total of 40 years for these two Company's.
You worked at two classic stores. I loved Triplers and was disappointed when it closed and, as you alluded to, am surprised at how little it comes up in discussion on this board and in other Trad discussions. To me, Press was never really Press in NYC when it moved around the corner several years back. The new store didn't have the feel, vibe, dust or heritage of the older location. I'm sure we've met as I shopped regularly in both and, yes, a good salesperson was part of the education that helped pass the tradition down from generation to generation.

Pale_Male

New Haven has always been the flagship store - it's where it all started! And they've already reopened on College Street. I think the demise of Press is premature.
That's not what Press said. They referred to the New York store ad the "Flagship."

127.72 MHz

Advanced Member
You get group of slick Japanese businessmen together, purchase an iconic men's store in New York, (perhaps a bit past it's prime), and double down on the younger crowd with the York Street line and you get bankruptcy,....

Pale_Male

You worked at two classic stores. I loved Triplers and was disappointed when it closed and, as you alluded to, am surprised at how little it comes up in discussion on this board and in other Trad discussions. To me, Press was never really Press in NYC when it moved around the corner several years back. The new store didn't have the feel, vibe, dust or heritage of the older location. I'm sure we've met as I shopped regularly in both and, yes, a good salesperson was part of the education that helped pass the tradition down from generation to generation.
Tripler closed a long time ago. Few under 50 would have much experience dealing with them, and they didn't have the campus presence of J. Press or the [youth] tradition of BB. Agree completely about the Madison Ave. Press -- hideous building, no place to sit and contemplate -- just the opposite of what Ralph did when he opened Rhinelander.

Brio1

It's all smoke and mirrors. J. Press has either forced out or fired their top sales men in N.Y. In the last 8 months and there Manager in their Washington store.
My guess it's over.
What happened to the manager in their Washington, DC store? Are you referring to "Brian" ?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.