Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
What do you think of the jacket shown below? Minus the gun. Very unique, to me; maybe not if you lived in Dodge in 1870. Can't figure out the collar thing, when up, how far does it reach? I think I need me one of these. Minus the gun.

f392e135c6d8f57106eaccfd41b312fe.jpg

The picture is Jim Arness, star of the longest running (20 yrs) tee vee Western ever, Gunsmoke. It was a great show, as was the radio version it followed (starring William Conrad, and still can be heard on SiriusXM, the Classic Radio channel).

My father, who in the 50s ran the CBS affiliate in Portland, Maine, at a network convention in NYC got seated next to Arness at a banquet and got his autograph for me. I was 10. I have it still. But I want that jacket. And will trade the autograph plus cash to get one like it.

Last edited:

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
Peak and Pine:

Great show. Probably watched every episode. And Dennis Weaver and Burt Reynolds came from that show.

I met Festus Haggen (Ken Curtis) once in Kansas City.

It could be a hood, but that seems unlikely. Heck, I like the hat too.

EclecticSr.

Peak, good to hear from you again. Hope we find you in good health.

As for the coat, the closest I come is a light colored canvas with wool lining that continues up around the collar in a military olive green color as does the shawl collar as pictured. DB with loop type button fastening, slash pockets instead of patch. No turn back cuffs. I don't think I've worn it
more than 4-5 times in 15 years. Not that I don't like it, it's just one of many in the rotation and fewer occasions to wear it and the fact that some items seem to have shrunk.

I too was a fan of the series and admired that coat as well. I wish I had an exact copy of that coat and you would still get to get to keep your autograph and cash.

Stay well.

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
But I want that jacket. And will trade the autograph plus cash to get one like it.
Would be fun to have a costume designer make one of these coats, though it wouldn't likely be cheap. I know someone who might be able to reproduce it. Would you like her contact info?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.