Flanderian

Connoisseur
Big Band Swing – Glenn Miller and Modernaires – Chattanooga Choo-choo

Edit: This is a longer video clip featuring the same tune and vocals, but also includes a fantastic dance number by the fabulous Nicholas Brothers along with Dorothy Dandrige. Worth it for the dancing alone. A little goofing from Uncle Miltie too, but I like his jacket. ;) It's from the 1941 film Sun Valley Serenade.

Didn't feature it as the audio isn't as good as the first clip.

Last edited:

Big T

For novices to jazz, anyone care to suggest some starting points? Already got some Dave Brubeck, Herbie Hancock-need some more suggestions. Any good Sirius/XM channels?​

Flanderian

Connoisseur
For novices to jazz, anyone care to suggest some starting points? Already got some Dave Brubeck, Herbie Hancock-need some more suggestions. Any good Sirius/XM channels?​
Depends upon what you like. I gravitate naturally to the more mellow side of jazz. Traditionally in jazz performances these are referred to as ballads, and pretty much all jazz musicians have some or a lot in their repertoire.

My suggestion is to listen broadly and consider what you find innately appealing. You can always branch out from there. In northern NJ there's WBGO, but that's gotten really hardcore. But where you are, it might be tough to find many FM stations that include it in their format. If you can get any Public Radio, you might check to see if they have a jazz show. I'm not disparaging your home, but my first real girlfriend was a native of Johnsonburg, so I know you're in God's country! :D

Both Sirius and XM offer multiple jazz channels, but I've found all their offerings less than mediocre.

Youtube is a surprisingly good place to browse and find jazz, as indicated by the clips I've included from them. Amazon also offers you the opportunity to browse and listen to samples. I've found both recordings and artists via both avenues. Being a Luddite, I still prefer CD technology, and have purchased many after listening to examples on Youtube or Amazon. But there are all kinds of other formats that I know have superseded CD technology, and I'm sure you can find the music in them too.

As for musicians, you might consider exploring further some of those I've already posted if you enjoyed them. If you wish, you can explore them via the platforms I've mentioned. They each have tons, and can keep you busy endlessly.

Among musicians I've found who tend play more mellow jazz I'd include -

Paul Desmond
Stan Getz
Antonio Carlos Jobim
Ben Webster
Bill Evans
Kenny Burrell
Jim Hall
Jacintha
Jim Tomlinson
Patricia Barber
Chet Baker
Louis Armstrong
The whole Marsallis family! :D Ellis, Wynton, etc.

When I can, I'll go through my catalog and add to this list. For now, if you wish, you can check out Jacintha -

Singapore Jazz - Jacintha -

Big T

Depends upon what you like. I gravitate naturally to the more mellow side of jazz. Traditionally in jazz performances these are referred to as ballads, and pretty much all jazz musicians have some or a lot in their repertoire.

My suggestion is to listen broadly and consider what you find innately appealing. You can always branch out from there. In northern NJ there's WBGO, but that's gotten really hardcore. But where you are, it might be tough to find many FM stations that include it in their format. If you can get any Public Radio, you might check to see if they have a jazz show. I'm not disparaging your home, but my first real girlfriend was a native of Johnsonburg, so I know you're in God's country! :D

Both Sirius and XM offer multiple jazz channels, but I've found all their offerings less than mediocre.

Youtube is a surprisingly good place to browse and find jazz, as indicated by the clips I've included from them. Amazon also offers you the opportunity to browse and listen to samples. I've found both recordings and artists via both avenues. Being a Luddite, I still prefer CD technology, and have purchased many after listening to examples on Youtube or Amazon. But there are all kinds of other formats that I know have superseded CD technology, and I'm sure you can find the music in them too.

As for musicians, you might consider exploring further some of those I've already posted if you enjoyed them. If you wish, you can explore them via the platforms I've mentioned. They each have tons, and can keep you busy endlessly.

Paul Desmond
Stan Getz
Antonio Carlos Jobim
Ben Webster
Bill Evans
Kenny Burrell
Jim Hall
Jacintha
Jim Tomlinson
Patricia Barber
Chet Baker
Louis Armstrong

When I can, I'll go through my catalog and add to this list. For now, if you wish, you can check out Jacintha -

Big T

Paul Desmond
Stan Getz
Antonio Carlos Jobim
Ben Webster
Bill Evans
Kenny Burrell
Jim Hall
Jacintha
Jim Tomlinson
Patricia Barber
Chet Baker
Louis Armstrong

Johnsonburg! Assed through there yesterday on my way to Toronto. Will be traveling through there again tomorrow. Unfortunately yesterday passed a fatal car accident a few miles north.

Will give your suggestions a try!

Thanks,

T.Z.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Johnsonburg! Assed through there yesterday on my way to Toronto. Will be traveling through there again tomorrow. Unfortunately yesterday passed a fatal car accident a few miles north.

Will give your suggestions a try!

Thanks,

T.Z.
Not a whole lot around Johnsonburg, still! From what I can see it looks to be a paper mill town, though my lady of 50+ years ago said her dad farmed. And a big Saturday night was shooting rats at the town dump! :D

I know that might sound condescending, but I've spent worse nights that shall go unrecounted! :rolleyes:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
Avis, Charlston, Jersey Shoe, Lock Haven, State College and Woolrich: all Pennsylvania locations featuring...great fishing, hunting, football wrestling, working as a furrier's apprentice, on the loading dock and as a cutters assistant at Woolrich Woolen Mills, and as a summer hire with the Pennsylvania Dept. of Transportation...good times, great memories, but I cannot recall ever listening to Jazz during those years. That came later, much later, in life for me! :(

Big T

Not a whole lot around Johnsonburg, still! From what I can see it looks to be a paper mill town, though my lady of 50+ years ago said her dad farmed. And a big Saturday night was shooting rats at the town dump! :D

I know that might sound condescending, but I've spent worse nights that shall go unrecounted! :rolleyes:
Domtar paper company, in passed decade, has invested over half a billion in rebuilding the mill. Still, the town has been known for very rough characters. In the prohibition era, north to Bradford was known as " Little Chicago" because of being the halfway point between NYC and Chicago.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.