Men's Clothing Forums banner

Job Interview Dressing Oddities

17K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  aland 
#1 · (Edited)
I run a retained executive search firm, and regularly interview candidates for jobs paying over $100,000.

I thought I'd pass along a few of the oddball things that people have done regarding their dress when I meet them for a job interview.

These tales may amuse some of you, and give some others (I'm sure a few of you are looking for jobs) a better picture of what someone who interviews people for a living sees.

I interviewed two people for a $125K position. Both had recently been laid off. Both came in sloppy casual - not even moderate-to-high end business casual - the type of dress they had worn in the pharmaceutical lab where they had formally worked. My position would have required that they oversee a staff of 100 people. Lab wear (ware?) wasn't good enough, and being unemployed, it wasn't as if they were going to make their boss suspicious if they came to work wearing a suit.

Another candidate for a $250K job overseeing an international sales force for a 1000-employee company emailed me saying that if I had no objections, he would dress business casual for the meeting. Now, at least this guy emailed me ahead of time, but this really wasn't appropriate. He shouldn't be the one setting the tone for the meeting. He should be thinking of me as the customer, and trying to impress me. He didn't, for a variety of reasons in addition to his dress, but it wouldn't have been much work for him to dress in a suit.

My favorite story came duirng the same project I just mentioned. I was going to Philadelphia, where a prospective candidate lived. He told me he would arrange his schedule that day to work from home, and I could meet him there, which was fine with me. When I arrived there, he came to the door barefoot, in shorts! He explained that that was how he always dressed when he worked from home (I was wearing a suit, by the way, complete with full-length pants and socks, and a pair of shoes).

This was an arrogant statement, saying that he didn't really need this job, or care much about it. It shocked me. I never introduced him to my client, of course.

I met another candidate three hours later who actually wore a suit, and was far better qualified than was the barefoot candidate, anyway. He got the job.

When in doubt, wear a suit is the basic rule of dressing for a job interview. Dressing a notch better than the person who is interviewing you is OK - you're paying a compliment to them by doing so. If they suggest business casual, or a friend on the inside tells you not to wear a suit, then dress business casual primo, with clothes of the same quality as your suits.

What do you do if you're sneaking out of work for an interview, and everyone dresses business casual at work? You shouldn't risk dressing up and raising suspicions. You should tell your interviewer about your problem ahead of time, and he should understand that. However, I've changed in McDonald's bathrooms and in my car at roadside rest areas to be dressed appropriately for job interviews - do that if you can.

See less See more
#27 ·
Forgive the diversion, but - suppose Dell sold ties online?

Me: Hi, I'd like to talk to someone about the tie I received
Dell Help Desk: (obvious Indian accent) my name is Matthew, and I'll be happy to help you.
Me: Well, on the website it said, "3 1/2 inches wide, 57 inches long, pure silk". But this tie is 4 inches wide, 62 inches long and polyester.
DHD: hold on while I call up your account. Yes, we delivered the tie 3 1/2 inches wide, 57 inches long pure silk. So what is the problem?
Me: But you didn't deliver that! You delivered a tie that was too long, too wide and made of polyester.
DHD: Let me look again. Can you tie the tie?
Me: Yes.
DHD: So it works. I'm sorry, sir, I don't understand the problem.
Me: But it's too wide and too long and made of polyester!
DHD: what is polyester?
Me: a synthetic fabric my tie is made from!
DHD: so it's a fabric. Silk is a fabric too. We sent you a fabric tie, correct?
Me: can I speak to a supervisor please?
DHD: yes sir one moment.
DHDS: (Indian voice) this is Gregory. Matthew has told me your problem.
Me: Yes, you sent me a 4 inch wide 62 inches long tie made of polyester.
DHDS: but on your account it says you ordered a 3 1/2 inch tie 57 long tie made of silk, so you're lucky you have a bigger tie than you paid for. That's our mistake, and for customer satisfaction we won't ask you to return it.

etc. etc.
Hilarious!!

#30 ·
To cufflink or not to cufflink... For every ten "sources" you find that say wearing anything but barrel cuffs is taboo, you can find another ten that say it's alright! I feel that there are a few basic tenets that if are adhered to will serve most well: PREPARE well - know your target field or job, know yourself, dress well - crisp/ pressed - CLEAN, shoes shined like the sun, be honest, respectful, and speak well (if the last three are tough for you - practice - and see #1). Bottom line - If you interview for a position and the deciding factor is whether or not you wore cufflinks, then you are either not qualified otherwise, or its a position you don't want.
Here's a nifty request for all the hiring managers, human resource managers, headhunters, etc. that are inclined to deny an interviewee based on stuff like cufflinks - set up a thread on the forum representative of the companies/ organizations you represent so those looking for positions will know to apply elsewhere...
It's nice if you can afford to be so selective in this economy. Many people who are doing job interviews cannot do this. I say save your dandier touches until after you have the job (if they will be appropriate.)

#31 ·
I am a senior recruiter myself, for a contingency based recruiting firm specializing in engineering and technical recruiting. I have placed people in position ranging from drafting and design (40-50k) to Director of Engineering (200k+). Here is my synopsis based on personal experience:

1. In 99% of the time, it is better to be over-dressed than under-dressed. When in doubt, wear a suit.

2. As a candidate, always ask the recruiter prior to going to an in-person interview, about the expected dress code for the interview. The recruiter is in a useful place to get inside details for the candidate.

3. For example, let's say you are interviewing for a Field Service Engineer position working on construction sites disassembling and trouble-shooting turbines, and the interview is at the site (not at a regional office). It's probably not a good idea to wear a suit and tie. You will be completely out of place, and will give the impression of being unrealistic.

If this same interview is taking place at a regional or corporate office, where you'll meet with high level executives of the firm, wear a suit. Again, your recruiter should be able to advise you on the proper interview attire, which can be both position as well as location specific.

4. If you have tattoos, be sure they are completely covered. Nobody wants to see your body art during an interview. If tattoos are visible, the interviewer will most definitely be turned off, because he/she will at once question your judgement as to whether or not you can present yourself professionally to a client.

5. Piercings: For men, it's imperative to remove any visible piercings and leave them at home. Again, nobody wants to see those during a professional interview. Women can get away with more ear piercings than men can, but to a certain conservative degree.

6. Jewelry: For men, a (non-gaudy) watch and a wedding ring are the only appropriate pieces. Some people feel that if they are interviewing with a fellow alumnus, it is ok to wear a class or fraternity ring. However, in my experience, that more than likely will be perceived as a distraction, and an attempt to make up for lacking skills or experience, especially if there are multiple interviewers present.

7. Cufflinks: are ok, as long as they are simple and understated. However, there is always the possibility that a particular interviewer may find them "too flashy". Unfortunately, the human factor is always the most unpredictable one - you can never be sure of one interviewer's perception, or know if he/she has simply had a bad day.

8. It is always best to dress in a simple, understated, yet refined manner for an interview. This will let interviewers know that you respect their time, their organization, and the opportunity presented to you.
Good points throughout. There are times when you can dress too well, as you've said. I think you err on the side of caution, and when in doubt, where a suit.

But if you have good intelligence about the organization that tells you that wearing a suit will make the wrong impression, take it down a notch (sport coat, tie, complementary-colored pants), or even two notches (high end business casual: dockers, loafers, sweater and mid-level colored dress shirt if everyone in the factory wears jeans, hiking boots and oil-covered shirts).

A good bet is to dress a notch better than they do - that is a compliment to your host. If you feel way overdressed, you can gradually step it down, artfully - drape your jacket over the chair, slip off the tie, roll up the sleeves, etc., as the day goes along, assuming it is not a one-hour interview.

#32 ·
Good points throughout. There are times when you can dress too well, as you've said. I think you err on the side of caution, and when in doubt, where a suit. But if you have good intelligence about the organization that tells you that wearing a suit will make the wrong impression, take it down a notch (sport coat, tie, complementary-colored pants), or even two notches (high end business casual: dockers, loafers, sweater and mid-level colored dress shirt if everyone in the factory wears jeans, hiking boots and oil-covered shirts). A good bet is to dress a notch better than they do - that is a compliment to your host. If you feel way overdressed, you can gradually step it down, artfully - drape your jacket over the chair, slip off the tie, roll up the sleeves, etc., as the day goes along, assuming it is not a one-hour interview.
I agree, please reference point #3.

#33 ·
Good post here. I might be talking to you soon, to get advice--might be looking for one of those 6-figure jobs in the somewhat near future. :) (I'm apprehensive about looking for a job, as I don't want to take a big pay cut, and I'm not sure of the availability of these kinds of jobs in today's market anymore)

#35 ·
Actually, there's something I've been curious about--would a pocket square be appropriate for an interview? I think they make the wearer really look sharp and classy, and would be a nice touch if selecting one that is a solid, muted color, and only show a touch of it for color. But I could also see the experts saying that it would be over the top. Opinions?

#36 ·
The PS in interviews has been much discussed. Despite being a PS wearer myself, I come down on the "risk outweighs the benefit" side of the ledger. I think most interviewers assume you are presenting a toned down, restrained version of yourself and your dress in interviews. If you wear a PS, they may wonder what the full-strength version includes: spats and a top hat? It's silliness, but then most of the interview process is.

#37 ·
The PS in interviews has been much discussed. Despite being a PS wearer myself, I come down on the "risk outweighs the benefit" side of the ledger. I think most interviewers assume you are presenting a toned down, restrained version of yourself and your dress in interviews. If you wear a PS, they may wonder what the full-strength version includes: spats and a top hat? It's silliness, but then most of the interview process is.
I have to agree with CD here. I am fond of wearing a simple white TV-fold PS with my suits and sport coats, but would restrain from doing so in an interview. If, otoh, you're just dropping by to seal the deal (you've been hired already), I think a square would be just fine.

#39 ·
I would also agree with this. A PS might send the wrong message to the interviewer (again, human factor is the most unpredictable), and may even be a distraction. Keep it simple and conservative.

#42 · (Edited)
Would a pocket square be appropriate for interviews in creative positions?
I'm not sure what you mean by creative positions, but if you mean advertising agency positions, I would say the answer is no (they break all rules of dress in the ad agency industry, and tend to err on the side of non-conservative, ranging to the downright weird).

For a marketing position in most companies, I think the pocket square is still too much.

I would only wear a pocket square if your scouting has told you that the PS is worn there periodically by at least some people. Or perhaps if they have the reputation for dressing very, very well. The organizations where people dress very, very well has shrunken. Perhaps they do so in upscale men's shops and jewelry stores in the biggest cities, and at a few law firms.

I've interviewed executives earning from $100K to $1-million, and have never interviewed anyone wearing a pocket square, or seen one on one of my clients.

I'd say pass on the pocket square - a well-tailored, well-fitting suit, coordinated tie, shirt, socks, belt and shoes (polished), along with a haircut, will put you ahead of most candidates. Many people don't understand color-coordination and look garish.

Remember that the aim of the interview is to get the interviewer to concentrate on your face, and not be distracted by what you're wearing. Dress conservatively, and in a way that makes your face appear full of expression and vivacious. Be wary of dressing in a way that encourages your interviewer to be regularly drawn away to a pocket square (or to a tie that is too loud, mismatched shirt, etc.).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.