bobbyball

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I’ve been meaning to share this find with the forum for some time.

Some of you will already know, but there is a great little shoe shop in Wimpole Street (just behind John Lewis in Oxford Street.

I have been going into John Rushton since he had a shop in Soho (Soho Shoes) and he really does know his stuff.

The shop has a wide range of Alfred Sargent as well as Cheaney but I go in there to see his selection of one-off shoes that he picks up regularly from personal visits to the Northampton factories. Some of these are seconds/irregulars or are available in one or two sizes only, but they are regularly on sale for between £50 – £80. Sometimes he buys up a cancelled export order and so it’s possible to find something a little bit unusual.

Over the years I have picked up many wonderful shoes from there – some dark green loafers made for Bowen in France, Peal & Co (Sargents) for Brooks Brothers, and some old Alan McAfee (sadly defunct for some time now).

John Rushton is a wonderful character and I’ve spent many a pleasant morning/afternoon discussing shoes. He will also order practically anything you like (within reason). he has the demeanour of a very pleasant ex-army major and always dresses with a confident casual but distinguished appearance.

I remember a wonderful old gent who used to always be in there when I visited. A tiny little chap with incredibly small feet. He would wear Cleverleys that he had made by the man himself and they looked amazing in a way that only forty year old shoes can.

Jonathan Meades is a frequent visitor and has written about John in the past.

Mr Rushton has some lovely observations about the French and Italian style and is well travelled. Please pay him a visit and you’ll get some great value, some wonderful stories and well made, great value shoes for certain.

Odradek

Advanced Member
I know that reviving an eight and a half year old thread is frowned upon, but I was in this wonderful shop today for the first time. An all too brief visit, but I'll be back.
http://www.johnrushtonshoes.com
A real shoe shop without the hard sell and plenty of time for the customer.
And, the man with his name on the window is sitting behind the counter.

I went there as it's one of the few places to actually see Sanders shoes in the flesh. Sadly the shoe I wanted to see wasn't in stock, but I'm still glad I went up there.
A shop to keep in mind if anyone is visiting London.

[video=vimeo;24528950]http://vimeo.com/24528950[/video]

Langham

Honors Member
I second the appreciative words that have been said here and elsewhere about Mr Rushton and his shoe shop in Wimpole Street. I visited it yesterday for the first time, while spending a few days in town. He is a very nice chap with a good selection of shoes by Crockett & Jones, Cheney, Spencer, and a few of his own design. Off hand, I can think of no other shoe shop of quite the same quality - those in Jermyn Street and Bond Street all seeming to be one-make only places.

zzdocxx

Honors Member
Oh, I also visited Mr. Rushton's shop, it was last May. I hadn't known it is right across the street from the Royal Medical Society where we were having dinner, but I had been planning a visit anyway, so that was just lucky for me.

:D

Now where are those photos ? ? ?

IMG_20150522_122435.jpg

Langham

Honors Member
^ Wimpole Street, while not far at all from Oxford Street, is a slightly unexpected place to find a shoe shop - with Harley Street nearby, every other door in the street seems to bear a doctor's or dentist's name plate.

I was quite surprised, and rather impressed, to learn that Mr Rushton had an earlier career as a film editor, working with Joe Losey as long ago as the early 60s.

zzdocxx

Honors Member
^ Wimpole Street, while not far at all from Oxford Street, is a slightly unexpected place to find a shoe shop - with Harley Street nearby, every other door in the street seems to bear a doctor's or dentist's name plate.

I was quite surprised, and rather impressed, to learn that Mr Rushton had an earlier career as a film editor, working with Joe Losey as long ago as the early 60s.
I also found that interesting.

About the location, I thought the Medical Society might be a good source of customers, but Mr. Rushton didn't seem to confirm that.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.