Three Button

Jos A Bank is running another one of their non-stop sales events. I need some new basics: shirts, sockes, etc., but not necessarily right now. Do you think there will be better sales after Christmas? (I know. Silly question.)

Sir Cingle

Yes, there will be better sales after Christmas. Jos. A. Bank routinely has fire sales ("Buy one suit, get 14 free"). As smujd suggests, if you wait till after Christmas, you'll be able to get good prices on better stuff. Jos. A. Bank is okay for some things, I suppose, but it isn't what it used to be.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
JAB sales are great for cedar coat hangers (the super-thick kind from Woodlore) and plain-colored pocket squares. Nothing else, since I've discovered that STP has shoe trees cheaper than JAB. Unfortunately, JAB just had a 50-percent off everything sale (they have it once or twice a year), so there is no need to shop there.

And, yes, the after-Christmas sales will be much better at BB and other places if history is any guide.

hockeyinsider

Elite Member
JAB sales are great for cedar coat hangers (the super-thick kind from Woodlore) and plain-colored pocket squares. Nothing else, since I've discovered that STP has shoe trees cheaper than JAB. Unfortunately, JAB just had a 50-percent off everything sale (they have it once or twice a year), so there is no need to shop there.

And, yes, the after-Christmas sales will be much better at BB and other places if history is any guide.
I would think Black Friday or even Thanksgiving itself would result in better sales -- at least online. I waited last year for the infamous post-Christmas sales and never really came across anything spectular. By December 26, a lot of the sizes are soldout.

MidWestTrad

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
^^ Agree with Flanderian; the sheer number of sale emails I receive is ridiculous. Really makes you think about the actual costs (and resultant quality) they have into their garments if they are able to perpetually mark them down in such a manner.

enginerd917

What store is STP? Shoe trees are definitely on my list

hockeyinsider

Elite Member
^^ Agree with Flanderian; the sheer number of sale emails I receive is ridiculous. Really makes you think about the actual costs (and resultant quality) they have into their garments if they are able to perpetually mark them down in such a manner.
I'm guessing 99 percent is imported from China. It's just like the bloody fish; we don't even eat domestic cod or salmon anymore unless you pay top dollar. The frozen and fresh fish is often from China. But I digress.

tradfan207

I went to JAB in NYC to one of their ubiquitous "buy one get one free" blowouts. What they don't mention is that their suits were starting at $500. I went to the rack to look at the suits and they were totally run of the mill fabrics with no drape to them. Seems like a ripoff to me.

dwebber18

I'm waiting on BB black friday sales to stock up on some stuff for my wife for Christmas. She is getting out of pharmacy school soon and has been steadily building her wardrobe of nicer pants and dress shirts so I think it will be a good time for that. And yeah its ridiculous how many emails JAB sends out, and every sale is the biggest and best ever, haha.

The Rambler

Honors Member
Early in my business career, I worked for a Factor who was brought in to liquidate one of DC's most esteemed menswear stores, that had gone bust by expanding too aggressively into the malls that were springing up everywhere. What he did was bring in loads of cheap stuff, slap the esteemed label on them, make up a price that was typical of the high end stuff they sold, and began a well-advertised going out of business sale. It was very successful, and with each "further reduction" more dreck would be brought in, til the thing finally ran its course. Ever since, I've been suspicious of sales, unless of course I know exactly what I want, a couple of Brooks supimas, or whatever.

bestmastertailor

Inactive user
After they give you so much dreck if you buy one they still maintain a 61% gross margin https://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=113815&p=irol-fundIncomeA
which is about 15% higher than what a retailer shoots for in a year of good margins.
So that suit you bought after "markdowns" for $250.00 should sell under "normal" markup for $200.

I get many of their suits in my shop to re-alter and the client then sees a what a real $1,000 suit looks like and how it is constructed, and then I show them a Corbin suit that sells for $395.00 (and much better quality) with free alterations by an actual tailor. They always say, "wish I would have known, I thought I was getting a deal" after they realized they have bought at $200 suit for $300 PLUS alterations, which are rarely done correctly.

Places like JAB and MW and the like have their place, not everyone can drop a ton of money on tailored clothing, especially right out of school, but if you are making enough money to buy good suits, go to an independent clothier/tailor and you will save money in the long run.

Last edited:

hockeyinsider

Elite Member
After they give you so much dreck if you buy one they still maintain a 61% gross margin https://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=113815&p=irol-fundIncomeA
which is about 15% higher than what a retailer shoots for in a year of good margins.
So that suit you bought after "markdowns" for $250.00 should sell under "normal" markup for $200.

I get many of their suits in my shop to re-alter and the client then sees a what a real $1,000 suit looks like and how it is constructed, and then I show them a Corbin suit that sells for $395.00 (and much better quality) with free alterations by an actual tailor. They always say, "wish I would have known, I thought I was getting a deal" after they realized they have bought at $200 suit for $300 PLUS alterations, which are rarely done correctly.

Places like JAB and MW and the like have their place, not everyone can drop a ton of money on tailored clothing, especially right out of school, but if you are making enough money to buy good suits, go to an independent clothier/tailor and you will save money in the long run.
What do you think of Corbin? Where does it sit in the line of off-the-rack odd jackets and suits?

ashcroft99

JAB...similar experience

This is wise advice...bought several suits from JAB 2.5 years ago (I wear a suit every day)...and the feebleness of the construction of their suits is something I see more and more. Two of the suit trousers have fallen apart. The others aren't long for this world. I live in Annapolis...there's a local "made to measure shop" on Maryland Ave, just opened a year ago, time to give them a try...just as you say, "you save money in the long run"

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange