superpacker

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I don't know if you all feel the same way, but I hate it when a chino (plain bottom) starts to get those little nicks on the edge of the cuff. I just find them unsightly. I know lots of stores intentionally do that now to make a chino more casual, but I don't want that. I know in someways it is most likely inevitable. But, have you guys found anyways to prevent fraying on a chino bottom.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
One answer to the problem: Not wearing them?

When a material interacts with the physical world (eg. wearing khaki) it will wear out; fortunately, many people *like* somewhat worn and threadbare casual clothing, since the weathered quality imparts a measure of charm to the wearer.

If you *don't* like worn clothes, probably the best practice is simply to replace them often (which means you can buy cheap, since durability isn't a factor).

DH

superpacker

I think "weathered" clothing can have some "charm" but I guess I have a different view of "weathered" I currently have on a VERy old ocbd (it was my dads) from brooks. You can tel that the shirt has been around, but there are no knicks or frays.

Jazzer

Hemming

I have a couple pairs that I have had re-hemmed an inch or so shorter. Problems include that they are then a tad too short, and that the seat usually starts to wear through around the pockets at the same time as the cuffs for me.

redmanca

Not necessarily, I have some khakis that are pretty close to being highwaters and they are starting to fray. The main thing is wear and tear from washing and drying, I would say. Try hang drying them or even soaking them if you really want to go to extremes.

I like it though.

Conor

Topsider

Honors Member
Regardless of the length, you'll eventually get some fraying along the cuffs, pocket edges, fly edges, etc. with normal wear and washing. That really can't be avoided. If you don't like it, replace the pants when they start to fray.

I tend to keep my frayed khakis around, however, as they're usually pretty soft and comfy by that point. An old, wrinkled OCBD and a pair of frayed khakis are like a t-shirt and sweatpants to me...they're what I throw on when I get home from work.

Even if you don't like the look, you can always wear them in the yard.

Last edited:

superpacker

This are all good thoughts. and I agree with the statement above that its not from them being too long, but just probably wash and wear. I know really frayed ones are out of the questions, but then I quess I would ask you guys if they only have minor knicks, can I still throw on an oxford, knit of repp tie, and some weejuns and still look presentable, or is that just sloppy and they should be relegated to the yard?

katon

Not necessarily, I have some khakis that are pretty close to being highwaters and they are starting to fray. The main thing is wear and tear from washing and drying, I would say. Try hang drying them or even soaking them if you really want to go to extremes.

I like it though.

Conor
Weather permitting, line drying is a great way to extend the life of your khakis. (Really a great way of extending the life of your clothes in general.)

Georgia

Regardless of the length, you'll eventually get some fraying along the cuffs, pocket edges, fly edges, etc. with normal wear and washing.
This is exactly right - but here is a little trick that might help to extend the life:

1. Wash normally
2. Put them in the dryer on medium heat for ~5 minutes (just enough to get the wrinkles out)
3. Hang dry

Old khakis are a staple in my wardrobe. They get worn as a replacement to jeans.

Himself

This is exactly right - but here is a little trick that might help to extend the life:

1. Wash normally
2. Put them in the dryer on medium heat for ~5 minutes (just enough to get the wrinkles out)
3. Hang dry

Old khakis are a staple in my wardrobe. They get worn as a replacement to jeans.
I'm with you all the way.

Old, frayed Bills are great beach and boat pants.

But they get that way soon enough. I avoid the prewashed, preworn-looking ones too. I'll wear them casually 'til they fall apart, but I like my new ones looking new, crisp, and presentable.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.