Woofa

Roger has posted a pair of beautiful G&G boots in Kudu for sale. Being unfamiliar with this type of leather I have been doing some research and I am probably more confused now than I was before I started.
From what I can tell, Kudu can be used to describe either the leather from an African Antelope, such as these Kudu suede shoes from Rancourt (and Roger’s G&G):

https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/clymer-flint-kudu-suede-24696.html

Or it can mean a calfskin leather made by Horween that has been heavily oiled
and which has a waxy appearance similar to these alden Indy’s.

https://aldenmadison.com/collection/indy-boot-kudu-leather-404/

In the case of the Aldens, I have read that the leather is actually thicker than most calf skin and in fact, might be comparable to shell cordovan regarding ability to last a lifetime but in a much more casual look which will not develop the deep coloring of Shell over time which can lend itself to a more formal pairing.
So, can anyone clarify their experience with “Kudu.” Regarding the Horween version, anyone have any experience with look, wear, longevity?

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
A kudu, as I have experienced it, is an african antelope,known in latin as tragelaphus strepsiceros. I have shot two, they produce about 130kg of tasty meat, are organic and make great skins for the floor.

Cheers,

BSR

Semper Jeep

I had a pair of Alden's kudu longwings. I wore them frequently through a couple of winters and they held up superbly to the elements here in the Great Lakes (snow, sleet, ice, salt). I ended up selling them during a closet purge. My take-away from owning a pair is that they are extremely durable but extremely casual. The leather cracks and creases in a manner similar to CXL but most CXL can at least hold a bit of a shine. The heavily-oiled nature of Alden's kudu meant there was no way to get a shine on them. They were easy to care for with just a brush and shoetrees though. Even after a couple of years, I don't think I ever added any cream or oils and other than the creases, they looked the same as the day I took them out of the box.

They looked great with jeans and casual cords or moleskin, but I had a hard time wearing them with anything more refined, that's not a complaint, just something to take into consideration. I've decided that if I were to ever get anything else in that leather I would prefer something more casual like an NST or chukka boot.

I knew when I was buying them that they weren't really made from kudu. I never understood why Alden calls it that, but also never really bothered to look into it.

I haven't handled Rancourt's but from the reviews I've read, it's supposedly very nice and comparable to a rough-out suede and still quite durable.

RogerP

Connoisseur
I can confirm that the Alden "Kudu" is damned near indestructible. The uppers on this pair wore like iron. I wish I could say the same for the outsole, which wore out with disappointing rapidity.

chosenhandle

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have a pair of AE kudu derbys. Like the others said, they are just about indestructible and clean up beautifully. It is my favorite pair of kicks on the weekends.

Woofa

Thanks. I actually like both versions of kudu but was unclear on why they had the same name. I will just chalk this up to a poorly named shoe by alden, etc. but still one in which I have some interest.
Appreciate your input and will post if I can get a hold of a pair.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.