L.L. Bean Signature

longwing

There was some discussion a little while ago about Bean working on retro/authentic made in usa camp mocs or blucher mocs. I'm hopefull.

Speas

I was optimistic until I read this:

Chris Vickers, a vice president in charge of L. L. Bean Signature, said the prices have not been determined but that you can expect a woven shirt to cost $50 to $70 and a sport jacket about $200. The biggest difference from the classic sportswear will be a fit that is closer to the body.

Just what I need - the same questionable offshore quality in a poor, hipster fit. Damn hipsters.

vwguy

Honors Member

Chris Vickers, a vice president in charge of L. L. Bean Signature, said the prices have not been determined but that you can expect a woven shirt to cost $50 to $70 and a sport jacket about $200. The biggest difference from the classic sportswear will be a fit that is closer to the body.

Just what I need - the same questionable offshore quality in a poor, hipster fit. Damn hipsters.

Ha! Although I did read hipsters are now sporting potbelies, so maybe that'll be an end to the too slim fit clothes?

Brian

Harris

Elite Member

I miss Speas.

"Closer to the body." Oh goody.

svb

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
For skinny guys like myself who look ridiculous in the tent-like offerings from many of the trad merchants, it's nice to see it'll be possible to get such items in sizes that will actually fit.

Ruslev

wouldn't this line tend to trend towards jcrew? Growing up in CT in the 80s, I remember getting my LLBean catalogs and how I would thumb through it - I wore the kelly greens and all that but I think the "heritage" would have to be re-engineered since it never had that "edgy" heritage that the other brands are re-creating. for example, the newer red wing heritage line - beckman - does any bean stuff have "that" in its DNA? what can you do with duck boots, flannels and down vests? I am very interested to see how this evolves at the price point they are suggesting and the style they will be creating.

StevenRocks

Some thoughtful reinvention of the Bean classics would be appreciated, but part of the reason why L.L. Bean's clothes weren't cut close to the body in the first place is because many of their customers have bigger bodies. Still, if the goods are worthwhile, it could be a big hit for the company, opening their customer base to a younger, hipper audience.

AlanC

Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
wouldn't this line tend to trend towards jcrew? Growing up in CT in the 80s, I remember getting my LLBean catalogs and how I would thumb through it - I wore the kelly greens and all that but I think the "heritage" would have to be re-engineered since it never had that "edgy" heritage that the other brands are re-creating. for example, the newer red wing heritage line - beckman - does any bean stuff have "that" in its DNA? what can you do with duck boots, flannels and down vests? I am very interested to see how this evolves at the price point they are suggesting and the style they will be creating.

Well, you can do and this. Bean seems to want to be more accessible, however.

The time is NOW for Bean, Filson and all the American heritage brands. Bean can't act too soon.

boatshoe

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
For skinny guys like myself who look ridiculous in the tent-like offerings from many of the trad merchants, it's nice to see it'll be possible to get such items in sizes that will actually fit.

I think the fear isn't so much that the clothes will be slimmer fitting as much as that the style will change. Often when older companies come out with new lines, I'll flip through the catalog only to find waifish she-men in low rise pants that appear to be decoupaged on his-her-its emaciated frame.

But hey, maybe LL Bean can pull it off. I'll still give it a look.

Ruslev

Well, you can do and this. Bean seems to want to be more accessible, however.

The time is NOW for Bean, Filson and all the American heritage brands. Bean can't act too soon.

I do not disagree with you, but the clothing on the sites you listed are 3-4x the price point that this new llbean signature is aiming. Also, both engineered garments and woolrich woolen mills have limited production/distribution. Another example, is the RRL chino - great look IF you can find a pair and BTW, they are $185. How about the 1000 mile wolverine boot - I saw a pair for $375 in East Hampton - nice look, but different price point. JPress has shaggy dogs for $165, Fair Isle Vests for $98 and OCBDs for $89.

Where does LLBean signature fit in at $50 for a shirt? Closer to the newest Lands End look. If that is the case then they are now late to the game and I say that as an LLBean fan.

I never really associate LLB with sport jackets.

As much as I love Bean, I can't say the current catalog thrills me. The majority of the men's section is stain-resistant pants and goretex jogging wear.
They still carry good stuff (boots, chamois shirts etc), but there's a reason why people post scans of 30-year old bean catalogs here, why I have a "ranger oxford" saved search on ebay, and why I get excited to find a ancient goose-down parka at Goodwill.

I know I have a tendancy to get stupidly defensive about stuff like this, "how dare they make my favorite ____ popular."
But it's probably a good sign and as Alan said, if they're going to capitalize on this 'Americana' trend they'd better act fast.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
YAWN!

Is there a single catalog company that doesn't have a Signature line? Bean gave up trying to sell better quality products ages ago. This is so imitative that it's comical. Let's see: JAB and Orvis, and even Brooks tried it a couple of years ago too until they realized how dumb it was. This is just a blatant attempt to go after a younger demographic while charging more for the same sub-mediocre quality.

Jovan

Honors Member
Indeed. I'd say "full cut" is even fuller than it was decades ago.

Last edited:

Quay

Something new from LL Bean? What I'd like to see is something old. The classics that made the company can be made "new" again because several generations won't have seen them.

Recycling at its finest.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange