ComboOrgan

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Here's some news for slim trads:

Land's End has changed their tailored fit on some of their men's dress shirts, including OCBDs.

I spoke with a customer service rep via live chat, and she told me that the changes are:

1. slimmer through the body
2. broader shoulder
3. wider arm hole

The shirts with the new fit have "improved tailored fit" in the description.

I don't think the change is drastic. For reference, the shoulder on a 15.5 neck has increased from 18" to 18.5"

vwguy

Honors Member
I do like the fact their shirts are/were slimmer thru the body, I just wish they were a bit slimmer thru the arms as well so they fit better under jackets.

Brian

Trip English

Honors Member
This is a bit of a disappointment. What's being described is a move toward "athletic fit." For someone who is just generally lanky, this doesn't do any good. One less brand with something to offer!

Trim fit shirts generally bind my shoulders, so I'll give this a shot.

...I just wish they were a bit slimmer thru the arms as well so they fit better under jackets.
+1. I have to upsize sleeve length on LE shirts already because of this.
I fail to believe that many were complaining of small armholes. I suspect this is to appeal to the egos of males that also claim to need more room in the crotch.

Relayer

That is good news. A couple of weeks ago I ordered one of the closeout OCBDs that must have been of the older cut. Very good for the money (even at regular price), but just a bit too tight through the areas that you mention.

Lands End customer service is excellent. I had ordered several items and one did not fit, didn't like the color of another. LE offered to refund the shipping cost of one item, and sent a replacement of the other item with free shipping. Also, I was able to return the two unsatisfactory items at the local Sears store.

I think I'll have to try the OCBD in the newer cut.

Thanks for the information.

ComboOrgan

That is good news. A couple of weeks ago I ordered one of the closeout OCBDs that must have been of the older cut. Very good for the money (even at regular price), but just a bit too tight through the areas that you mention.
At the time I wondered why such a staple item would be on closeout.

I now wish I had stocked up.

The Louche

This is terrible. Why on earth would someone ever increase the size of an armhole!!!!????!!!!

Ugh. Looks like the ond $15 gems are a thing of the past.

tinytim

Here's some news for slim trads:

Land's End has changed their tailored fit on some of their men's dress shirts, including OCBDs.

I spoke with a customer service rep via live chat, and she told me that the changes are:

1. slimmer through the body
2. broader shoulder
3. wider arm hole

The shirts with the new fit have "improved tailored fit" in the description.

I don't think the change is drastic. For reference, the shoulder on a 15.5 neck has increased from 18" to 18.5"
I'm wearing some Hyde Park tailored fit shirts now with a 15" neck. They fit my skinny body perfect. If the new tailored fit shirts are anywhere near as close, they'll be perfect for most slim guys.

Cruiser

Connoisseur
This is terrible. Why on earth would someone ever increase the size of an armhole!!!!????!!!!
I'm not so sure that the armhole is larger, despite what the LE rep said. My new LE catalogue describes the armholes as "reshaped". It doesn't say larger, although it might be. The diagram seems to indicate that this reshaping is to allow for the arm to be raised above the head (hail a taxi it says in the catalogue) while keeping the shirt tucked in. Wouldn't larger armholes have just the opposite affect?

The shirt is described as "closer fitting" to fit better under a jacket and to give a more sleek appearance without a jacket. Again, doesn't sound like larger armholes to me, but who knows what "reshaped" means.

Cruiser

The Louche

I'm not so sure that the armhole is larger, despite what the LE rep said. My new LE catalogue describes the armholes as "reshaped". It doesn't say larger, although it might be. The diagram seems to indicate that this reshaping is to allow for the arm to be raised above the head (hail a taxi it says in the catalogue) while keeping the shirt tucked in. Wouldn't larger armholes have just the opposite affect?

The shirt is described as "closer fitting" to fit better under a jacket and to give a more sleek appearance without a jacket. Again, doesn't sound like larger armholes to me, but who knows what "reshaped" means.

Cruiser
Cruiser, I was thinking the same thing. I also saw an official description somewhere indicating that the arms were cut closer...

I think the thing to do is to simply order a new one and find out. For $20 full price its tough to argue.

The Louche

Ok - I just ordered a "new tailored fit" Hyde Park OCBD. I'll post a comparison to the other "old tailored fit" LE OCBD I got about 6 months ago as soon as it gets worn and washed.

BTW - I also got a knit tie from the overstocks section. Anyone here have any of LE's knit ties? I think I've heard that they are decent but I'm too lazy to search...

vwguy

Honors Member
I bought a new Hyde Park tailored fit OCBD that I'll match up to the older ones I have when I get a chance.

edit: OK, the new tailored fit *does* have smaller sleeves and armholes than the older trim fit OCBDs byt about 3/4" - 1" throughout on my 17.5x 35.

Brian

Last edited:

Jovan

Honors Member
That is good to know. The first post nearly gave me a heart attack! One of my biggest pet peeves with suits and shirts now is the armholes.

She may have inferred that the armholes were wider because of the catalogue description. People often think that just because something is looser and more "relaxed" that it must be more comfortable and easier to move in.

PersianMonarchs

Their shirts are already too skimpy

I'm a little surprised that Lands End would make their shirts even more skimpy in the body than they already were. I'm not an advocate of the bigger-is-better proportions of the Mercer shirts (although they ARE terrific in most respects), but I have always thought one would have to be AWFULLY skinny to prefer Brooks' "slim fit" and Lands End's downsizing of its already-too-slim shirts strikes me as a step in the wrong direction. (and I'm not all that hefty -- why take themselves out of the running for anybody with average to above average girth, along with everybody who doesn't like skimpy shirts anyway?). Sounds like a bad business decision -- as, apparently, was their move toward skimpier trousers last year. I understand that the returns were numerous and that they have backed off the tailored pants idea for good.

Cruiser

Connoisseur
Sounds like a bad business decision -- as, apparently, was their move toward skimpier trousers last year. I understand that the returns were numerous and that they have backed off the tailored pants idea for good.
I am one of those who returned a pair of LE tailored fit pants last year, but it was because I thought they were still too baggy.

As for the tailored fit shirts, I suspect that there are more than a few folks like me who's neck size is larger than the rest of their body. With LE's tailored fit shirts I can buy a shirt that fits reasonably well in the body and arms yet still be comfortable buttoned up for wear with a tie. Making their tailored fit shirts a little trimmer in the body won't bother me at all.

Cruiser

Jovan

Honors Member
Land's End is definitely catering toward the "slim fit" body more than the "less blousiness" crowd with this decision. No RTW will fit everyone perfectly, unfortunately, and no matter what anyone does it will piss off someone out there. :)

The Louche

I'm a little surprised that Lands End would make their shirts even more skimpy in the body than they already were. I'm not an advocate of the bigger-is-better proportions of the Mercer shirts (although they ARE terrific in most respects), but I have always thought one would have to be AWFULLY skinny to prefer Brooks' "slim fit" and Lands End's downsizing of its already-too-slim shirts strikes me as a step in the wrong direction. (and I'm not all that hefty -- why take themselves out of the running for anybody with average to above average girth, along with everybody who doesn't like skimpy shirts anyway?). Sounds like a bad business decision -- as, apparently, was their move toward skimpier trousers last year. I understand that the returns were numerous and that they have backed off the tailored pants idea for good.
Land's End is definitely catering toward the "slim fit" body more than the "less blousiness" crowd with this decision. No RTW will fit everyone perfectly, unfortunately, and no matter what anyone does it will piss off someone out there. :)
A lot of this has to do with fit preferences and (I hate to say it) fashionable dressing trends. Anybody concerned enough with clothes to join this board know that there is a trend in the clothing world towards slim these days.

Persian, if you truly have an average body, the slim fit LE shirts should fit you fine. You may not like the look, but there will be sufficient room in the shirt for you. If you want something baggy just get a traditional fit shirt. One of the reasons many people prefer slimmer shirts these days is b/c of their ability to better fit underneath a jacket or sweater with out bunching and wrinkling due to the excess material.

Jovan

Honors Member
I realise that there's a trend, but as you point out in your second paragraph there's other reasons someone may need to have slim fit shirts. A regular cut shirt in my neck size would look absolutely clown-like on me. Every full cut shirt I've had I need to take to the alterations tailor. I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.