yilekiotee

Starting Member
Hello,
I wear suspenders with everything (dress pants, jeans, shorts, etc.). My wife has sown buttons on for me. However, I'm of the school that suspenders (braces) are underwear and not to me seen.

When I wear jeans, I wear a T-Shirt, then suspenders, then a shirt that's meant to be untucked (same with shorts).
Suits I don't really worry about, I think suspenders look normal or...I can always wear a vest.

But...what about casual business attire...in the summer? How can I hid my suspenders? Does anyone know of a light weight sweater vest? Or...a light weight vest? I'm just trying to figure out a way to hide them in a casual office environment (untucked shirts are too casual).

Thanks in advance for any tips or ideas.
Dave

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
If suspenders were not to be seen or are, as is stated in the OP, underwear, why do they make them of such decorative and sartorially creative materials. My friend, should you so choose, wear a jacket over your suspenders, but wear your suspenders over the sport or dress shirt you have tucked neatly into your trousers! Just a counter intuitive thought, I suppose. ;)

Dhaller

Advanced Member
Cotton v-neck sweater vest OR a linen button-up vest.

I mean, it’s a fairly peculiar and specific problem, so there’s a limited number of solutions.

DH

Matt S

Connoisseur
If suspenders were not to be seen or are, as is stated in the OP, underwear, why do they make them of such decorative and sartorially creative materials. My friend, should you so choose, wear a jacket over your suspenders, but wear your suspenders over the sport or dress shirt you have tucked neatly into your trousers! Just a counter intuitive thought, I suppose. ;)
Just because it's made, that means we should wear them and show them off? Do you like wearing crocs, graphic t-shirts and Borat costumes? It's okay if you do, but they don't follow traditional menswear customs.

eagle2250

Just because it's made, that means we should wear them and show them off? Do you like wearing crocs, graphic t-shirts and Borat costumes? It's okay if you do, but they don't follow traditional menswear customs.
Truth be known, I do not presently own any Crocs and the only graphic t-shirts I own are from the Florida State Wrestlng Championships (for 2020 and 2021). I own those shirts because our two grandsons qualified for, competed in and placed and medaled in both those championships and their names are emblazoned (with a buch of other hard working kids) on the backs of those t-shirts. Owning them does not mean I will be wearing them anywhere other perhaps at next years championships! Just saying....;)

EclecticSr.

Matt, I took eagle2250 post as rather tongue in cheek. Not like you to go tilting at windmills and slaying dragons. I myself do not display my braces, tho of the plain sort of boxcloth or dressier moire.
I think I expressed my feelings about the OP's post in my earlier response.

I have never had a problem such as the OP has expressed in finding and wearing appropriate garments to wear while wearing braces in any situation. Such a conundrum !!!!!

Being played?

EclecticSr.

While on the subject of braces, especially those of the explicit type, eg. erotica and such, I have a difficult time to ever justifying the need for them, while some are more playful, I have no need for them as well.

As opposed to a Mr. Shapiro of PBS who openly flaunts them, tho not of the erotict type as best I can tell, still,..... I think a deliberate attempt t show off. Otherwise why?

Certain things are best left to the wearers idiosyncrasies rather than they be known to all.

eagle2250

Matt, I took eagle2250 post as rather tongue in cheek. Not like you to go tilting at windmills and slaying dragons. I myself do not display my braces, tho of the plain sort of boxcloth or dressier moire.
I think I expressed my feelings about the OP's post in my earlier response.

I have never had a problem such as the OP has expressed in finding and wearing appropriate garments to wear while wearing braces in any situation. Such a conundrum !!!!!

Being played?
LOl. My friend, you are spot -on with your interpretation of my intent. I presently have five pair of suspenders and when I have worn them, and it has not been that often, I have always worn them covered by a cardigan and/or with a jacket. I always tend to err on the conservative side. Also, truth be known, I greatly enjoy and respect your and MattS's points of view. Thanks again. ;)

EclecticSr.

LOl. My friend, you are spot -on with your interpretation of my intent. I presently have five pair of suspenders and when I have worn them, and it has not been that often, I have always worn them covered by a cardigan and/or with a jacket. I always tend to err on the conservative side. Also, truth be known, I greatly enjoy and respect your and MattS's points of view. Thanks again. ;)
As I do of your opinions.:beer: Thank you

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I really like suspenders but unfortunately, so does the poodle. She has absconded with and consumed at least three sets and being a lady of impeccable taste, they naturally were all Trafalgars! I fear that another brace-search on eBay is in my future as I am absolutely too cheap to pay full market price for them.

eagle2250

I really like suspenders but unfortunately, so does the poodle. She has absconded with and consumed at least three sets and being a lady of impeccable taste, they naturally were all Trafalgars! I fear that another brace-search on eBay is in my future as I am absolutely too cheap to pay full market price for them.
Look at the bright side...at least she (the poodle) has a taste for suspenders and not a more expensive dining option, like shoes/boots! Sounds like the result of good training to me! LOL. ;)

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
I rarely disagree with Matt, but apparently do here. The notion that suspenders are underwear not to be seen is not only nonsensical (they rest over one’s shirt after all), it is a misconception derived from the traditional convention that a gentleman should ordinarily not remove his jacket in most polite forums. This convention still survives today, even if only in dramatically relaxed form. There was never a convention treating suspenders (or belts) as underwear, but the confusion resulted from the disapproval of inappropriate jacket removals, which only incidentally also exposed one’s braces.
When one is in a forum that does not require a jacket one may ordinarily still secure one’s trousers by either a belt or suspenders (but not both 😁).

Last edited:

EclecticSr.

When one is in a forum that does not require a jacket one may ordinarily still secure one’s trousers by either a belt or suspenders. But not both.

Okay, again, I don't recall Matt saying they where underwear, but was responding to some of the more explicit type braces.

Following your theory, why should you not wear braces and belt?:devil: Just curious.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
When one is in a forum that does not require a jacket one may ordinarily still secure one’s trousers by either a belt or suspenders. But not both.

Okay, again, I don't recall Matt saying they where underwear, but was responding to some of the more explicit type braces.

Following your theory, why should you not wear braces and belt?:devil: Just curious.
While Matt seemed (to me) to support the view that braces are underwear, he admittedly did not say so explicitly which is why I qualified my statement with "apparently." In any case if I took unfair inferential liberties with his post, mea culpa.
I do not understand how my "theory" has anything to do with the simultaneous use of belt and suspenders. The convention among well-dressed men abjuring such redundant usage is longstanding, whereas there never existed a similar convention relegating braces to underwear, even if such a claim has achieved Internet currency.

Last edited:

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Certain items of clothing not intended for primary sight are acknowledged by the manufacturer and the wearer that with movement they may be glimpsed and so some thought is given to their design and construction. Jacket linings come to mind. As do socks. And the subject here, braces.

No matter how it's read, I think Matt S's take is a poor one and I was first in responding, but took it down as being too harsh. Replaced with this because I gets soft and cushy with advanced age.

EclecticSr.

Frankly the the term that braces are "underwear" is quite new to me as one who favors the use of them.
That term was brought in by the OP in this thread.
Now I'm the the one offering mea culpa to ascribing the belt and braces theory to you.

For the record, I do not wear both braces and belt as I also feel it is a redundancy, not because of any conventional wisdom.In fact, I dislike belt loops on any form of dress trousers be they suit or odd trousers, I favor side adjusters .Certain casual trousers, I don't have a problem with them.

I find many of the so called "rules" and "conventional wisdom" of the past maake very little sense today.
I try to follow what makes good sense, read, .......what I'm comfortable with keeping in good taste.

I apologize if I came off as combative as it was not my intent.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
Frankly the the term that braces are "underwear" is quite new to me as one who favors the use of them.
That term was brought in by the OP in this thread.
Now I'm the the one offering mea culpa to ascribing the belt and braces theory to you.

For the record, I do not wear both braces and belt as I also feel it is a redundancy, not because of any conventional wisdom.In fact, I dislike belt loops on any form of dress trousers be they suit or odd trousers, I favor side adjusters .Certain casual trousers, I don't have a problem with them.

I find many of the so called "rules" and "conventional wisdom" of the past maake very little sense today.
I try to follow what makes good sense, read, .......what I'm comfortable with keeping in good taste.

I apologize if I came off as combative as it was not my intent.
Very gracious note, and no worries at all.
Please know that my position is not remotely universally accepted among well-dressed gents. See Peak's comment above.
But I stand by it based on my research from some years ago. The common practice of gentlemen in the past to (almost) always wear a jacket resulted in braces not being seen. As the rules for jackets became more relaxed many folks found the view of theretofore unseen braces somewhat jarring or puzzling and hence assumed that such sightings indicated a lack of propriety. But if one thinks about it carefully, one realizes this makes no sense at all.

Matt S

Connoisseur
I do not think that braces are underwear. However, I believe that they present an unfinished look, as if a part of the outfit was removed to display them, whether or not that was actually the case.

And to @Peak and Pine , thank you for always saving your harsh comments for me.

As Peak and Pine mentioned linings, I see flashy braces as equivalent to flashy linings. Both are for the wearer's own fun.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.