Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
And to Peak and Pine, thank you for always saving your harsh comments for me.
Matt is kidding of course, and should he not be he gets no dessert tonight. We have for years though gone on about two topics, whether the term gauntlet cuff is redundant and crotch wedging (as a tailoring technique, not a gymnasium past time). I defer to him in all matters concerning fabrics and James Bond, being careful not to disclose which one of those makes me really sleepy.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
If we accept that in the past a gentleman's suit came with a vest, and I believe that they did until about WWII, then I don't understand the arguments put forth. One took off one's jacket, usually in the privacy of one's own home, and relaxed in the waistcoat that covered one's braces. Being a bit of an old futz, I am inclined towards this sort of behavior myself, even though I have both suspenders and jacket liners that are purely for my own entertainment.

TKI67

Advanced Member
I no longer wear braces, but when I did my rule was that they went over the shirt and under anything more, be it a sweater, a jacket, or more. If they were exposed to someone else's view it was not a big deal, but I never liked wearing them without a jacket. Sometimes, however, after being up late working on a deal, there was an inevitability of a shirt with rolled up sleeves, open collar, slack tie, and exposed braces.

yilekiotee

Starting Member
I have to admit, part of the reason I wear suspenders is because I have some stomach issues that prevent me from wearing pants that bind or put pressure on my stomach. Therefore, I not only wear suspenders but pants that are typically a little big. Around the house, I can wear shirts that are meant to be untucked. Formal occasions, a jacket and a vest. The problem is in the office where it's business casual. During the winter...a sweater vest but the summer...not sure. I'm just trying to...well...not look like a goober. So, I try and hide not only my suspenders but...the upper portion of my pants as well.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm not an overly sophisticated or stylish person...just trying not to stand out too much.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.