Theoden

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Gents,

It's been some time since I posted here.

I trust everyone is faring well during the pandemic.

I was on vacation this summer in Cape Cod and got the bug to get some sock-less loafers or boat shoes. Turns out there is an LL Bean is Mashpee and I had my eye on the Camp Mocs. I was hoping to get the Dark Brown (pebbled) but they only had the Cactus in in stock. I pulled the trigger.

I ended up ordering the Dark Brown when I got back home for comparison.

Here are some observations:
  1. They are pretty well-made and a good value for the money.
  2. They take a little time to break in.
  3. The Cactus is a much softer leather and looks "weathered" pretty quickly.
  4. The Dark Brown is a stiffer leather, and takes longer to break in.
  5. Like both colors and enjoy having 2 pairs.
  6. I enjoy sock-less living.
  7. The recommendation I've been seeing online is to get them 1/2 size smaller and let them stretch out for a perfect fit, but I didn't like the sensation of my big toe pressing up against the front of the shoe in the LL Bean store, so I went with my regular length. Even though there was some heel slippage at first, with wear that was essentially elimated, and they are now very comfortable. Even though I'm an 11 EEE the 11 EE is fine, and, in fact, quite wide.
Questions:
  1. What fit are you aiming for with your Camp Mocs when you're sockless? I'm opting for slightly roomy with no heel slip. I'm guessing it allows for socks. Have any of you successfully bought a 1/2 size down and stretched them out for the "perfect fit"? What is a perfect fit? I won't run marathons or hike rough trails on them. They seem to do fine on walks in the park.
  2. How do you care for them? (conditioning products, etc). Any difference in care between the Cactus and Dark Brown?
  3. Are these just really just a gateway drug to Quoddy and Rancourt? The Beans are quite comfortable and nice looking. How much nicer are the Quoddy and/or Rancourt mocs? I'd like to eventually try them, but it seems these LL Beans will last quite some time.
Thanks,

Theoden

download (1).png
download.png

Last edited:

David J. Cooper

Excellent post. I just replaced by 5 year old brown pair with the Cactus. I think they are even better. I wear them nearly every day. I slip them on when I come home from walking the dog around 5 pm.

I am a 10.5 EEE and find the EEs to fit perfectly. I doubt I will ever “upgrade to Rancourt or Quoddy”. I occasionally wear them after golf to the bar with shorts.

I never did anything to the dark brown pair, they almost seem like corrected leather. The Cactus pair will get some saddle soap in the future I am sure.

All the Best.

Theoden

Excellent post. I just replaced by 5 year old brown pair with the Cactus. I think they are even better. I wear them nearly every day. I slip them on when I come home from walking the dog around 5 pm.

I am a 10.5 EEE and find the EEs to fit perfectly. I doubt I will ever “upgrade to Rancourt or Quoddy”. I occasionally wear them after golf to the bar with shorts.

I never did anything to the dark brown pair, they almost seem like corrected leather. The Cactus pair will get some saddle soap in the future I am sure.

All the Best.
David,

Thanks for the insight. I’m wondering if the dark brown will dry out or crack, but it seems like thick, full grain leather. Either way, I’m enjoying both.

CLTesquire

The pics are a touch small to really see but those look nice. My mocs are from Rancourt and I'm a big fan. However, it's not a terribly difficult shoe to construct so I doubt there are really construction improvements between the two. Perhaps country of origin is a difference. The Rancourt's are made in the US. Not sure about the Bean.

As to leather, my Rancourt camp mocs are made from Horween chromexcel leather and it's thick and supple and hardwearing. The only thing I do care wise is some leather conditioner on occasion following by a quick brushing.

Theoden

The pics are a touch small to really see but those look nice. My mocs are from Rancourt and I'm a big fan. However, it's not a terribly difficult shoe to construct so I doubt there are really construction improvements between the two. Perhaps country of origin is a difference. The Rancourt's are made in the US. Not sure about the Bean.

As to leather, my Rancourt camp mocs are made from Horween chromexcel leather and it's thick and supple and hardwearing. The only thing I do care wise is some leather conditioner on occasion following by a quick brushing.

Thanks...I'll get a general leather conditioner.

Theoden

Update...

The 11 EE LL Bean Camp Mocs fit rather well on my 11 EEE foot. Aside for my power-walks in the park with my Merrill's, they are all I've worn for the past few weeks. I've only worn them sockless. It's a comfortable and generous fit which allows for socks should you want them. Highly recommend both the dark brown and the cactus.

TKI67

Great post and insights. I have never tried the Bean camp mocs but had a pair of their bluchers about twenty years ago. They were a great value, reasonably comfortable, and held up pretty well. I am currently wearing Quoddy bluchers made of Horween CXL. They were immediately comfortable and just get better. Other CXL items have worn amazingly well. So check back with me in 2040 to see about the value proposition. I got my son and son in law Rancourt camp mocs on the crowdfund deal. They are due in a week or two. I have heard Rancourts are better finished than Quoddy. It will be interesting to compare. I always found the Bean shoes very well finished. To me the only substantive difference was the leather used. The reason I sprang for the CXL was bunions on the tops of my big toes. If I had better feet I probably would have stuck with the Bean bluchers.

Theoden

Great post and insights. I have never tried the Bean camp mocs but had a pair of their bluchers about twenty years ago. They were a great value, reasonably comfortable, and held up pretty well. I am currently wearing Quoddy bluchers made of Horween CXL. They were immediately comfortable and just get better. Other CXL items have worn amazingly well. So check back with me in 2040 to see about the value proposition. I got my son and son in law Rancourt camp mocs on the crowdfund deal. They are due in a week or two. I have heard Rancourts are better finished than Quoddy. It will be interesting to compare. I always found the Bean shoes very well finished. To me the only substantive difference was the leather used. The reason I sprang for the CXL was bunions on the tops of my big toes. If I had better feet I probably would have stuck with the Bean bluchers.
Good insights. I'm sure the leather is better.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.