TimF

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I'm thinking of getting this for my son: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/191...primaloft-liner&bc=&feat=field coat-SR0&csp=a.
(I can't get the wool liner version because he's in college and careless with laundry.)

I owned a Bean field jacket in the late 80s. The quality was fine, the coat overall did not make much of an impression on me at the time. So my question is: Has the 2018 or very recent coats' quality slipped compared to when the coats were made in USA? Some negative reviews on the LLB site suggest so, although I'd be interested in the specifics.

An alternative would be a matte, quilted jacket. My search tells me Barbour used to make one in moleskin, but no longer. About the only model I can find online is by "Bronte" in the UK. https://hollandscountryclothing.co.uk/products/bronte-quilted-moleskin-jacket. Anyone knows anything about this product?

GregorSamsa

I have a primaloft ll bean coat in olive. I purchased mine sometime in 2016 I think. I wore it almost everyday during last winter, and I've been wearing it daily since early November this year. The lining is super warm and comfortable, and the coat is very durable. I think it would be a great gift for a student.

I also had a lighter field coat from ll bean that I got in my early teens. It was more of a fall coat. Definitely not as warm as the current one. However, it was my favorite coat and lasted years. I'd still wear it if it fit me.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
I've had almost an identical experience as GregorSamsa, except I got my new one in 2017.

It's a very versatile coat, and looks better with age.

Here's a tip -- Get a can of ScotchGuard and give the jacket a good shot before getting it wet. Poor man's waterproofing.

TimF

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
If you're in France why would you pay the shipping and customs to cross an ocean? You have a world of choices for outdoor clothing in the EU, etc.
My son goes to college on the East Coast. I am an American and I'm stateside a lot. Anyways...

It seems like the quality of the LLB field coat has not fallen off since they went off shore. What do y'all recommend vis. sizing? With the liner and maybe a thick sweater is it a good idea to up a size?

WillBarrett

Nostalgia is a cruel mistress and while I know quality for many companies has declined, LL Bean at 80% is still better than many companies, especially at the price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fred johnson

I'm thinking of getting this for my son: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/19191?page=original-field-coat-with-primaloft-liner&bc=&feat=field coat-SR0&csp=a.
(I can't get the wool liner version because he's in college and careless with laundry.)

I owned a Bean field jacket in the late 80s. The quality was fine, the coat overall did not make much of an impression on me at the time. So my question is: Has the 2018 or very recent coats' quality slipped compared to when the coats were made in USA? Some negative reviews on the LLB site suggest so, although I'd be interested in the specifics.

An alternative would be a matte, quilted jacket. My search tells me Barbour used to make one in moleskin, but no longer. About the only model I can find online is by "Bronte" in the UK. https://hollandscountryclothing.co.uk/products/bronte-quilted-moleskin-jacket. Anyone knows anything about this product?
I have two beam field coats; one from 3 years ago with the primaloft liner and another 30 years old in the long gone denim with wool liner. While the 30 year old is better constructed the difference in minimal. As a plus the button-in liners are interchangable between coats with the primaloft slightly warmer.

August West

I have an LL Bean field coat purchased in 2014, cotton lined. I wear it daily in season to walk the dog. I love it and expect it will last a long time.

I also have the moleskin Barbour liddesdale you mentioned, purchased from Orvis in 2015. As you stated I don't think it's available any longer. Another great coat that works well for all but the coldest of days. I work in a "business casual" environment and often wear it to work.

winghus

I have an Orvis barn coat from Costco also and hands down for the money it's great. It's made in China and I suspect it's nowhere near as nice as the LLBean but it was $40 and does the job and looks like a barn coat should.

Costco had them again this year last time I was there in November.

WillBarrett

I have the basic Field Coat in the dark khaki. I bought it in 2011 I think. I love it. I am a 52 long and the XL is fine even over a sweater. I sent back the XXL, which would fit DJ Fluker.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._J._Fluker

The quality is excellent. I worried about the buttons falling off but so far not an issue.
Fluker is a big man. One of my favorite Bama players ever.

When he showed up freshman year, someone snapped a picture of him standing next Nico Johnson and then Trent Richardson was next to him. Eighteen year olds shouldn't look like that. They were monsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orange fury

Connoisseur
I have the flannel-lined field coat that I got in late 2015 for my birthday (actually, it was the last birthday gift I received from my grandmother before she passed away in January 2016, so I’ll never part with it). It’s a solid jacket- I have no concerns about its durability or construction. The only thing I would say about the flannel-lined version is that it’s not particularly warm- it does a good job of blocking wind, but if the temp is in the 60’s or below, I have to wear a sweater underneath. It’s great for short hikes in the woods though- the exterior is pretty resistant to brushing past tree branches and the like.

All that said- i do reach for my Barbour Beaufort a bit more often. It’s slightly heavier (so it can be worn in cooler temps without a sweater), is water resistant (though the field coat could be if scotchguarded), and has many more pockets. Not a knock against the Bean at all, it just doesn’t get as much wear.

August West

The only thing I would say about the flannel-lined version is that it’s not particularly warm- it does a good job of blocking wind, but if the temp is in the 60’s or below, I have to wear a sweater underneath.
If temps are in the 60's, more often than not I'm not wearing any jacket at all. The cut off for me with this coat is probably about 35 degrees, anything colder I'm likely going with a more heavy weight option.
If it's in the 60's, sunny and not particularly windy this would be much too warm of a coat for me.

orange fury

Connoisseur
If temps are in the 60's, more often than not I'm not wearing any jacket at all. The cut off for me with this coat is probably about 35 degrees, anything colder I'm likely going with a more heavy weight option.
If it's in the 60's, sunny and not particularly windy this would be much too warm of a coat for me.
I get cold really easily- like, 70 with a breeze and I’ll be uncomfortable without long sleeves at the minimum.

But then, I’m also comfortable at 90+, so I probably live in the right part of the country lol

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.