Jeff84

While still in the process of updating my wardrobe for the winter, I started ordering from LL Bean. Despite having different fits and rises that I am accustomed to, I must say that their corduroy pants are really nice. It took three different cuts of jeans to find the best fit as well. It’s going to be a stylish and cozy casual winter. What do you like/ dislike from LL Bean?

Dhaller

Advanced Member
Throughout college and grad school, once the temperatures dropped I just about lived in LL Bean's ragg sweaters.

I like their flannel-lined chinos as a winter camping staple.

DH

G

Guest-422326

Would like to try the cords. Their t shirts and polos are great.
I really like that they offer tall options on most shirts, fleece, etc.

never behind

I’m interested to hear others comments in this. Recently bought their rag wool socks and really enjoy them. I don’t own anything else from them presently.

ChrisRS

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Trust their Norwegian type sweaters, flannel shirts, rag wool socks and of course Bean boots and slippers. If it keeps you warm, have trust. I bought a flannel lined winter storm coat in the late 80s and it serves me to this day.

I have their duffel travel bags and they have never failed me, I also have some of their luggage pieces and they are awesome.

I have had dress and sport shirts off and on as price and opportunity afforded, good quality, fit can be a bit perplexing if you delve into their Signature vs trim vs regular, not entirely consistent.

John M

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Perhaps look into finding vintage LL Bean on eBay. I have seen a lot of new with tags items of stuff from 70s, 80s, and 90s.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The LL Bean Boots and Mocs are favorites of mine and I have purchased the occasional flannel shirt from them. Their parkas are also top notch and LL Bean is a merchant who stands solidly behind their warranty! ;)

David J. Cooper

I have never been disappointed in anything I have bought from Bean. A decade in now on some items. None from the “Bean Golden Years”.

I have had to move on from Bean though because the service they now give their Canadian customers is tragic. They use Pitney Bowes Borderfree. The delivery times make USPS look like FedEx Expedited. Over 6 weeks minimum and no tracking once in Canada. A recent package took 32 days after clearing customs in Toronto.

I know the Bean Customer Service people are great and express their frustration with Borderfree so that is nice. Unlike the incredibly rude people I have dealt with at Brooks Brothers or Sperry customer service.

Thanks for listening.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
I have had to move on from Bean though because the service they now give their Canadian customers is tragic. They use Pitney Bowes Borderfree. The delivery times make USPS look like FedEx Expedited. Over 6 weeks minimum and no tracking once in Canada. A recent package took 32 days after clearing customs in Toronto.

I know the Bean Customer Service people are great and express their frustration with Borderfree so that is nice. Unlike the incredibly rude people I have dealt with at Brooks Brothers or Sperry customer service.
This is the opposite of my experience ordering from them online, which I've done several times this year and last year. I get the stuff no later than a week after I place the order. I'm close to Toronto but that shouldn't matter... weird.

David J. Cooper

It was the trip from Toronto to Coquitlam that took 32 days.. BTW this was the worst but no by much previous orders have take 4 to 6 weeks with no tracking once the package clears customs in Ontario.

Troones

I have their navy pea coat. Looks fantastic. I ordered my wife a pair of their iconic winter boots but porch pirates got to them before we could. The UPS guy left the package on our front porch in full view from the street, but in the one blind spot where it couldn't be seen through our door window or front window.

And yes, we were home at the time, and no, he didn't knock. I don't order from them anymore as they only ship UPS to Canada.

The Great Garbanzo

Starting Member
Their Cresta all leather hiking boots are world class. I've worn Asolo, Scarpa, Lowa, Raichle and various other top brands. I had lost my Asolo PowerMatics a week before I left to hike the Northville Placid Trail. They took me the whole way with little to no break in. Still wear them backpacking 4 years later and over 500 additional trail miles on them. Their 850 Down parkas are hard to beat as well.

Of course they still make some world class fly rods too!

But of course none of the above would be considered proper in polite company:oops:

fred johnson

I stopped buying a lot of Bean stuff after they discontinued (1) Country flannel trousers, (2) Year-round wool trousers, (3)Country corduroy wide wales, (4) Shetland sweaters.(5) Closed the outlet near me.

MarcDavidMiller

Their down parkas are better than Canada Goose an at less than 1/2 the price. I bought one in 1993 (Baxter State?) in Gore-Tex and around 2017 noticed the Gore-Tex starting to pucker a bit. Called, got an RMA number and voila! New down coat. Same with an old 1980s down vest. Alas, a month after my ‘lifetime satisfaction guaranty’ exchange they no longer took returns more than 1 year later (blame people who bought old crap on eBay and immediately returned it to LL Bean).

Still worth the money for the coats, vests, boots, Norwegian sweaters, bags, jackets, chamois shirts, corduroy shirts, etc. Even their outlet merch has to me good quality control.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals