WillBarrett

I'm a big fan of the Patagonia Better Sweater - both the best and the pullover edition. Does anyone have experience with the LLB version or should I just save up for the Patagonia edition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xcubbies

It's not clear what your criteria is. Are you going to be using it climbing a mountain in winter? The Bean fleece is excellent for what it is. While I have both Patagonia and Bean's fleece I've recently resolved to buy only the Bean's fleece in the future because there's really no point in paying a premium price unless I would be testing the limits of a performance material, and, really, I still don't see the comparative advantage in the Patagonia gear.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
I've got the Lands End Polartec version, which seems to have disappeared from their website. It was $35. Gets the job done for winter fishing and knocking around.

smmrfld

The North Face Gordon Lyons line is very similar to the Patagonia Better Sweater. I've had several of both and can't see a difference in the quality of fabric or construction.

Himself

The Better Sweater fabric has a smooth finish on the outside, so it looks more like a sweater than regular fleece. LL Bean and others probably use the same fabric.

I've worn mine (Patagonia zip front) heavily for 5-6 years. It looks more tired than regular fleece would, but much less so than a wool sweater.

jpeirpont

I have avoided this style ofclothing for years preferring to just wear a wool sweater. But I may give them a try this year for them days when I want to just slap something on.

Last edited:

WillBarrett

I have avoided this style clothing for years preferring to just wear a wool sweater. But I may give them a try this year for them days when I want to just slap something on.
WIth three kids and this Deep South climate, the pullover fleece is often a better option than a sweater, thought I try to balance things out.

jpeirpont

Understandable, since I've been South most of my sweaters have been largely neglected.Shetland is simply too hot, for ever most of the winter here.

G

Guest-957153

the LLBean version is cheaper and also distinctly lower quality. LLbean does a lot of other versions of fleece well (polartec and hi-pile for example) but not this one unfortunately.

I'm a big fan of the Patagonia Better Sweater - both the best and the pullover edition. Does anyone have experience with the LLB version or should I just save up for the Patagonia edition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TKI67

the LLBean version is cheaper and also distinctly lower quality. LLbean does a lot of other versions of fleece well (polartec and hi-pile for example) but not this one unfortunately.
A choice between Patagonia and Bean is Orvis. I like it that they are less likely to be plastered with logos.

David J. Cooper

I just received a Barbour Dunmoor fleece vest from Orvis. I would highly recommend this over any other fleece.

I have had many Patagonia fleeces and the one I bought last was very disappointing. It was a few years ago, I bought it from a Patagonia store. It was a zip up Better Sweater I believe. It was far lighter then previous Patagonia fleeces and basically lost all it’s warmth after washing.

Flairball

If it’s fleece, it’s all the same. Polar Tech, originally Malden Mills, is the company and the name of the fleece that supplies both Patagonia, and LLB. ...and just about every company making fleece clothing.

challer

I have a wonderful Beretta pullover quarter zip that is lined and windproof and wool. It’s 20 yo and looks new. Best ever. Bean and Patagonia are both fashion companies these days. They’ve lost their outdoors bent, more outdoors style now. I’d look to Orvis.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.