Local and Craft Brewed Beer

Kreiger

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Today I had the pleasure of drinking a few bottles of Spencer Brewery's Trappist Ale, brewed by the monks of St. Joseph's Abbey in Spencer, MA. Apparently this is the first and only official 'Trappist' ale produced in the US. I first heard of this brew on NPR, but assumed the production level would be too low for me to source any without some effort. Much to my surprise, I found a 4-pack in the cold case of my local corner market. This is what is apparently called a patersbier, basically a table-beer. The ale has a nice amber color and a good flavor profile- I'm no tasting expert, but I would describe it as lightly-hopped, spicy, floral, yeasty, and medium-bodied. Recommended to any who find it in a local store.

https://postimg.org/image/r62esknth/ https://postimg.org/image/7mxtj7p1x/

Adventure Wolf

I forgot to mention the Salt Lakes Brewing Company. They have two really good beers. I like the Edmond Fitzgerald and the Eliot Ness.

TSWalker

Guinness and cider drinker, but should any of you find yourselves in Orlando, do visit my friends at Orlando Brewing. Great gentlemen.

Jae iLL

I've never really tried craft beers. Throughout my time in the military, and while I was living in Korea, I only drank to get drunk; so Coors, Budweiser, and Miller - or Natty were good enough. Since moving to Maryland, I've gone to a few tap houses that some old military friends recommend and I've found that I enjoy ales, particularly IPAs. There's a place called The Ale House that I've gone to a few times, and a few other craft beer pubs in the same area. I still don't know much about beer, but I remember drinking a few from Stone that were good. A lot of the other bars carry Flying ***** and Dogfishhead beers that weren't too bad. At more chain type establishments I'll usually order a seasonal Sam Adams.

I still indulge in some beer pong and beer binge drinking, which can only call for Natty Ice or Coors light.

thatdarndaniel

Starting Member
I can't remember the last time I had a beer from even a place as large as Sam Adams. My go-tos are Dogfish Head, Foothills, Russian River, Goose Island, and Lost Abbey, plus whatever is highly local to where I'm drinking beer.

That's good stuff. Lost Abbey/Port Brewing are semi-local to me. I find that Stone IPA is widely available here (Southern California) and is a good stand in, but in general, I'm trying to cut back on indulgence and make it "really count." To wit, when I can get Pliny or Blind Pig, I'll go for it! Or Stone Enjoy By is always a favorite of mine. Gone are the days of keeping a case in the garage.

One thing for sure: I stick with the craft brewers. Support the little guys. I even have second thoughts when I see Goose Island due to its ownership (however "unobtrusive" as it is) by Anheuser-Busch.

Halbermensch

We are surrounded by breweries here. It spoils us. A short drive will take to me Founder's, Bell's, New Holland, Arcadia, etc. Not to mention is less than 5min away.

I like beer, but I don't usually drink it, I prefer liquor. For beer, I prefer Founder's Centennial IPA. Additionally, I always get a 6 pack of Bell's Hopslam each year when it becomes available, because it always sells out so fast, and it's that good.

Fletcher

We are surrounded by breweries here. It spoils us. A short drive will take to me Founder's, Bell's, New Holland, Arcadia, etc. Not to mention is less than 5min away.

I like beer, but I don't usually drink it, I prefer liquor. For beer, I prefer Founder's Centennial IPA. Additionally, I always get a 6 pack of Bell's Hopslam each year when it becomes available, because it always sells out so fast, and it's that good.

Agreed on the Hopslam. At my local beer store they don't even put it on the shelves. You have to make reservations to get a piece of the limited allocation the store gets from its distributor.

ChrisRS

My favorite is the Carolina Brewing Company's Imperial Stout. Since I prefer dark beers, this has become my favorite. It's a dark porter with a powerful flavor, yet it isn't too bitter.

I like the Lonerider's selection. Lonerider produces a number of western themed beers. Their Shotgun Betty and Sweet Josie are my go-tos at local eateries if they don't have my other selections. They serve as a good fall back, and I find them enjoyable.

So what are your favorites?

I 'm surprised you didn't mention Duck Rabbit. If you like the Lonerider beers, Duck Rabbit will be up your alley. Their milk stout is good, but they nail the seasonal darks better than most.

Allen Dreadmon

BC and Ontario are experiencing a craft beer renaissance right now. The problem (in Ontario) is that only a few of the brands are readily available. You have to actually go to the brewery to get a full selection of their offerings.

My favourties are Bellwood Brewery, Junction and Muskoka.

Donnie

I also don't drink as much as I used to, but when I drink beer I prefer the locals - whether here in North Texas or travelling. The offerings of a city or region are part of its unique personality, and the big guys don't need my support.

The local craft beer scene has continued to improve over the last several years. Fort Worth has a couple breweries I like: Rahr & Sons - I go for their Ugly Pug black lager or Texas Red red lager. I also enjoy their seasonal Iron Thistle Scottish-Style Ale and Gravel Road German-Style Altbier. From Martin House I usually go with their Pretzel Stout, but their limited edition Rubberneck Red was fantastic.

Other locals I enjoy are Revolver (from Granbury) and Deep Ellum, Four Corners and Lakewood (all from Dallas).

I'll probably be having Revolver's Blood & Honey or Deep Ellum's IPA with a helping of Rockstar Tacos from Atomic Subs this weekend. Can't wait!

orange fury

Connoisseur
I also don't drink as much as I used to, but when I drink beer I prefer the locals - whether here in North Texas or travelling. The offerings of a city or region are part of its unique personality, and the big guys don't need my support.

The local craft beer scene has continued to improve over the last several years. Fort Worth has a couple breweries I like: Rahr & Sons - I go for their Ugly Pug black lager or Texas Red red lager. I also enjoy their seasonal Iron Thistle Scottish-Style Ale and Gravel Road German-Style Altbier. From Martin House I usually go with their Pretzel Stout, but their limited edition Rubberneck Red was fantastic.

Other locals I enjoy are Revolver (from Granbury) and Deep Ellum, Four Corners and Lakewood (all from Dallas).

I'll probably be having Revolver's Blood & Honey or Deep Ellum's IPA with a helping of Rockstar Tacos from Atomic Subs this weekend. Can't wait!

I like Rahr a lot, the Ugly Pug was the first I had from them. we just recently started seeing Deep Ellum in Houston.

I prefer liquor (specifically scotch) by a wide margin, but I love supporting local breweries. Saint Arnold is arguably the heavyweight down here, followed closely by Karbach. Two of my favorites though are Buffalo Bayou Brewing Company and 8th Wonder Brewing. I'm actually drinking Buffalo Bayou's "Smoke on the Bayou" right now- the malts are smoked at local barbecue joints, which infuses some unique flavors into the beer.

8th Wonder is neat because all of its beers are Houston themed (heck, the brewery is named after the Astrodome). The brewery itself is Astrodome themed, designed around actual seats and memorabilia from the dome. They make a Vietnamese coffee porter called "Rocket Fuel" that is just fantastic.

I also like 512 and Zilker out of Austin- Zilker has a coffee milk stout that is great as well (unfortunately, I've only seen it sold in Austin). 512's "Pecan Porter" is the only beer my wife will drink.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange