Three Button

I need to replace my 30+ year old London Fog Trench Coat; however, searching around the internet I cannot find a similar style: single breast, khaki, no belt. Anyone know where I might find one at a reasonable (i.e., lower end) price?

From reviewing the London Fog website it appears that they no longer make sucha a model. Are London Fog stores still around?

Thanks.

127.72 MHz

Elite Member
We, in Portland, Oregon, use to have a London Fog outlet. As it was closing one of the ladies that worked there told me that they would only have one outlet for the whole country at that point. (That might have been five years ago)

As you might expect I purchased several London Fogs is various styles. My favorite is the single breast khaki without a belt. It's truly classic. And while it's not top of the line it cost me under a hundred bucks with a zip out liner. I've never used the liner as the plain looks so nice.

I'd be interested to know if the once proud brand is still around too.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Sorry, I do not know of such a retailer.

To pick a nit, I would term a SB coat without a belt as a raincoat, rather than a trenchcoat. I've seen such coats for sale from places like O'Connell's -

https://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/raincoats.php

But a modest price is obviously not part of the package. I guess one could argue that the price prorated over another 30 years is reasonable, but that's for the buyer to decide. Other retailers from which I've seen similar coats in the past include Ben Silver and Cable Car Clothiers, which would also be very steep.

CMDC

Honors Member
I believe the belt-less raincoat is called the "Executive." Ask Morty Seinfeld.

Man, if I had a dime for every London Fog raincoat I saw while thrifting I wouldn't need to shop at thrift stores.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
London Fog had a nice looking trenchcoat this past season but it was 100% synthetic. Blends are great in raincoats, but you gotta have some cotton or otherwise you might as well just get a gore-tex parka or something. I suspect WouldaShoulda is right and London Fog is only a shadow of it's former self.

DukeGrad

Hi my friend

Good luck ! My first raincoat was a London Fog anout 1968ish.
They were the coat back then. You will not find it comparable, you may not find.

I have been happy with an Aquascutum, that is about 25-30 years old, still very nice condition.
I question them now. No need for me to look.Aquascutum was the British raincoat back then that was above Burberry IMO It was at Brooks brothers in NYC and all haberdashers.
I would not bo the Burberry route for that price.
USA decent raincoats are not around. I was just thking about my old raincoat.
Good luck my friend

frosejr

I just picked up your exact request from ebay, excepting that it was headed toward olive rather than khaki. This one was a made-in-USA model, with zippered liner. I paid $39 in like-new condition. Needed a dry cleaning, but don't we all?

Keep checking ebay, you'll find one eventually.

Bookkeeper

Hi Three Button,

I think I have the exact coat you're looking for, and I would part with it for a reasonable offer. It's marked as a 42 regular, and the measurements are:
37 inches from the top to bottom,
22 inches pit-to-pit
26 inches from shoulder to cuff

I seemed to have misplaced my camera, but I'll post some pictures as soon as I find it. It has seen some use and could benefit from a dry-cleaning, but the only real wear and tear is that I lost a button about a week before I stopped wearing it. It comes with replacement buttons, and I could sew it on for you if you like, although I'm only an amateur at that sort of thing.

Yuca

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Last edited:

1WB

DoghouseReilly

You sound like you are looking for a balmacaan, rather than a single breasted raincoat. If you have your heart set on a London Fog, I would suggest checking eBay. They go for pennies over there. And I won't interfere; the shaggy lining in most of their "maincoats" gives me the creeps.

Last edited:

Reptilicus

Man, if I had a dime for every London Fog raincoat I saw while thrifting I wouldn't need to shop at thrift stores.

Funny, I remember that episode. Actually, I remember it advertised as the Balmacaan.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
frosejr said:
Keep checking ebay, you'll find one eventually.
Quite right - at any given time eBay has TONS of London Fog coats, so that's probably the best option. The only shortcoming with bright coloured trench and raincoats (tan, pewter, etc) is the collar and cuffs can sometimes get a bit grimy from human skin, so buying used I would probably pick a darker colour.
CMDC said:
I watched that episode a couple months ago and the "Executive" was the double-breasted trench coat without belt, which Morty claimed to have introduced, not the single-breasted raincoat. But who's counting? It was a funny episode.*

* I strongly recommend buying the whole series on DVD - hundreds of hours of laughs.

jwlester

You've got to love when a thread ends up in a Seinfeld discussion.

I hadn't thought about it lately, but I was on the lookout for a traditional double breasted trench coat. Anyone that runs across one thrifting (42reg or so), I'd love a heads up. Thanks friends.

bd79cc

I like the look of that Jos. Bank number. It's three-quarter length - the coverage is there, but it's easier to sit in a car, bus, or subway seat with it on and buttoned up. No extra or exposed buttons to snag or fall off. I really like it having a zip-in liner - that's crucial to me. And, of course, the price is very attractive. Thanks for posting!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange